Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 54 votes, 4.41 average. Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #21331
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Is that sorta' like one in the bush is better than two in abreast?
You got it backwards: two abreast is much better than one in the bush.

M
Old 07-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #21332
Ridge
power 2 the pedal

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
You got it backwards: two abreast is much better than one in the bush.

M
Damn my dyslexia! I've been doing it all wrong all these years!
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #21333
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Damn my dyslexia! I've been doing it all wrong all these years!
S'OK I've been lubing my chain wrong all these years too.

I'll just go over yonder and cry quietly in the corner.

M
Old 07-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #21334
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,884
Now, let me get this straight... Should the motor oil be synthetic? Anybody wanna share a gallon of chain lube I'm mixing up?
Might get a couple orders of fries done while I'm at it.
On to more important things, I'm riding in a couple hours. Soon as I fight through this Friday get home, get outta town, southern California traffic that I believe started about three hours ago. Maybe ten minutes after the morning rush hour ended; that was at full chat at 5:00AM. Yeah, they do it right round these parts, full service 24 hour frustration.

So, anyway things came up last night so I didn't get to ride. Tonight "things" will be ignored until after the ride. Probably be hell to pay, but what is credit for anyway?

Then Saturday we'll see how the on-shore limits our ability at making headway toward the coast. I'm hoping for a couple of good long days.

Of course all this talk about riding the bicycle has the Adventure feeling jealous so it has gone and thrown it's version of a tantrum, by first scrambling the settings on the BBoC, (Techlusion, (Tech illusion Black Box of Confusion)), and then if that were not enough to fiddle with the oil filler cap fitting O-ring shit the bed. So that is puking oil over the top of the valve cover.

That means I need to ride to Pomona on the filthy thing and get a replacement. Which I will measure and go off in search of a real solution. Something maybe that likes heat cycling and oil. Could be worse I guess.

Nice design though, use one simple seal for maybe twenty years in a design with a dip stick, then change to one that has three seals and five parts rather than two. BMW bring a whole new paradigm to the art and science of design. What a bunch of asshats. And yet the damned bike is still so much fun to ride. I guess I need to remember to wear old shoes and pants.

Mr Head screwed with this post 07-29-2011 at 02:21 PM
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #21335
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Now, let me get this straight... Should the motor oil be synthetic?
Opinions vary on this one. Some swear by Mobil 1, some by RotellaT, and some heathens just dump in whatever they have extra from their cars.

Quote:
Anybody wanna share a gallon of chain lube I'm mixing up?
I'd say yes, but USPS would have a cow about shipping it to me here in VA. (and yes I know you're kidding. Just think how much you could make! Little 4oz bottles for $10? )

Quote:
On to more important things, I'm riding in a couple hours. Soon as I fight through this Friday get home, get outta town, southern California traffic that I believe started about three hours ago. Maybe ten minutes after the morning rush hour ended; that was at full chat at 5:00AM. Yeah, they do it right round these parts, full service 24 hour frustration.
Yay riding!

I miss being able to (legally ) lane share. Makes oh so much sense.

M
Old 07-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #21336
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
Shut the fuck up already
Short, sweet, and to the point. Couldn't have said it better myself

To a person, everybody passing me today was courteous. Living out in the sticks, riding after rush hour helps, but there's almost always one yahoo.

M
Old 07-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #21337
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,496
Quote:
Short, sweet, and to the point. Couldn't have said it better myself

To a person, everybody passing me today was courteous. Living out in the sticks, riding after rush hour helps, but there's almost always one yahoo.

M
Pedaled to work today and didn't die. Mostly cool.

Cut off by a Prius at a 4-way stop (dude, if we're both stopped at the same time and YOU'RE turning ((without a signal by the way)), you need to YIELD to me.) and buzzed by a phone-drunk driver.

Oh, and the right-turning woman who cut me off twice and nearly put me into the side of a stopped bus in about 50'.

Par for the course, really, and I don't need coffee when I get to work.

YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:54 PM   #21338
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Now, let me get this straight... Should the motor oil be synthetic? Anybody wanna share a gallon of chain lube I'm mixing up?

So, anyway things came up last night so I didn't get to ride. Tonight "things" will be ignored until after the ride. Probably be hell to pay, but what is credit for anyway?

Then Saturday we'll see how the on-shore limits our ability at making headway toward the coast. I'm hoping for a couple of good long days.

Of course all this talk about riding the bicycle has the Adventure feeling jealous so it has gone and thrown it's version of a tantrum, by first scrambling the settings on the BBoC, (Techlusion, (Tech illusion Black Box of Confusion)), and then if that were not enough to fiddle with the oil filler cap fitting O-ring shit the bed. So that is puking oil over the top of the valve cover.

That means I need to ride to Pomona on the filthy thing and get a replacement. Which I will measure and go off in search of a real solution. Something maybe that likes heat cycling and oil. Could be worse I guess.

Nice design though, use one simple seal for maybe twenty years in a design with a dip stick, then change to one that has three seals and five parts rather than two. BMW bring a whole new paradigm to the art and science of design. What a bunch of asshats. And yet the damned bike is still so much fun to ride. I guess I need to remember to wear old shoes and pants.

Mine shit the bed on a trip,about 600 miles in to a 3k trip .puked oil all over my pretty new stitch Blue in color . I never got it clean.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #21339
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Last night a little over an hour spin. The hill was almost no problem. Felt great.

Today did 3:38 at an average of nearly 17 mph. Beat myself good I did.

On the out, almost no headwind only a bit of a crosswind once I get close to the beach. On the way back I was catching and dropping groups of riders. Then I caught a kid mashing the big ring at about 23 mph, hung on, then passed and took over the pace until he fried. Hit 24 mph for about a mile of course by now we had a good wind pushing us inland. Then an old guy mashing a big gear came by, I hung on for a bit, but his 22 mph speed he picked up to was more than I could get from the engine room.
"Warp factor six Mr. Scott."

"Cap'n, I canna give 'er anymore, she'll blow."

And we nearly did, then a couple of big guys spinning I'd passed earlier came by. These guys I could stay on. Half mile later we parted ways. I went to the LBS, picked up some Vanilla-Ornage Gu, and got more for next time.

A couple miles later, I was back to spinning the 20 mph. Good stuff. The final hill cooked me good.

I am done for a good while now.

Think I'll make another round of searching the stashes in the garage for an o-ring. I don't feel like a long hot motorcycle ride through stupid traffic. Maybe spackle it with some plumbers putty for a while.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:35 AM   #21340
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

3:28 today. Came up a bottle of water short.

That last 30min or so were teh suck.

Still. Felt good to get out on that loop. Haven't done it for a while.

M
Old 07-31-2011, 11:21 AM   #21341
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Woke up to thunder at 5:30 AM, then pouring rain.

That let up, then re-started. No great need to go ride in the wet yet.

Lazy fat guy. I guess.

Spent the morning researching a new phone. Kool-aid to follow.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:41 PM   #21342
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
3:28 today. Came up a bottle of water short.

That last 30min or so were teh suck.

Still. Felt good to get out on that loop. Haven't done it for a while.

M
Churches are a great place to find water. We have churches every 50'...even in the sticks.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:14 AM   #21343
jake28
Riding to the horizon.

Oddometer: 390
This is one of those posts that I put up in seriousness, knowing that I will get a whole bunch of "I hate/you're an asshole/I hope you get a flat tire responses." And to that I say, "fine".

I want to take this:
and go riding in Switzerland/France/ Dolomites. All Mountain with big ups, and big downs, and beautiful scenery. and beer.

I'm working in Milan until Friday and then I have a month off. The Dolomites/Alps are at my doorstep, but I have never ridden in Europe. I'm hoping for one of those miraculous ADVrider moments, where someone says, "Sure, I'm from XXXX and you should mountain bike in XXXX and you can stay at my chalet and my gorgeous blond daughter will massage you tenderly after a long day of riding." Because that happens.

So, oh great depths of ADV knowledge, instruct me in the ways of mountain biking in Europe. And send me your daughters.

jake28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:56 AM   #21344
Ridge
power 2 the pedal

Oddometer: 1,079
I wanna go!! Sorry, that's all I really have to add for your trip. Never been, but it's on my cycling bucket list. Enjoy, take lots of pics (daughters first... mtns second). May you only get a flat tire at the top of the Alpe de'Huez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake28 View Post
and go riding in Switzerland/France/ Dolomites. All Mountain with big ups, and big downs, and beautiful scenery. and beer.

I'm working in Milan until Friday and then I have a month off. The Dolomites/Alps are at my doorstep, but I have never ridden in Europe. I'm hoping for one of those miraculous ADVrider moments, where someone says, "Sure, I'm from XXXX and you should mountain bike in XXXX and you can stay at my chalet and my gorgeous blond daughter will massage you tenderly after a long day of riding." Because that happens.

So, oh great depths of ADV knowledge, instruct me in the ways of mountain biking in Europe. And send me your daughters.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:12 AM   #21345
Chisenhallw
Kilted Terror

Oddometer: 3,665
I hate you, and I hope you get a flat tire.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: