Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 05:34 AM   #23431
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
With either the thornproof/sealant setup or tubeless/sealant - when something finally kills it and you have to put in your spare tube, you will spend most of the time clearing thorns from the tire so the spare tube is not immediately destroyed. The record was about 45 minutes time from stop to ride away.

Yea, that is something I don't always remember to do.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:38 AM   #23432
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Its very possible. I'll never forget the time I almost had to spend the night in the woods because of unfamiliarity with an unmarked mtb trail system. We rolled back onto the main entrance road well after 9pm. This was back before GPS was common, so I say bring it and make sure you turn it on before leaving the parking lot.

Yep. Been there. During the mid day sun riding withlacoochee state forest. Glad I brought along my etrex with truck marked as waypoint and also glad I had over 70oz in my camelback. Somehow got off the bike trail and on the running trail. Lost for hours and it was hot.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:45 AM   #23433
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,848
Its real hard to ride 'easy enough to not break a sweat' when the wind's coming straight at you at 20-30mph. Managed it, but had to cut my ride short to keep it right at an hour.

Last nite at UW Hockey I was paying for my ride Wed. No air. When I did stretch it out, it took twice as long to recover.

Ankles are sore today from the fins.

Oh well. I had fun.

M
Old 03-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #23434
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
During the mid day sun riding withlacoochee state forest.
The Withlacochee Bike Trail is ~46mi of paved goodness.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #23435
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
The Withlacochee Bike Trail is ~46mi of paved goodness.
Been years since I rode the paved trail. The offroad trails , unless there was a recent rain, are usually sugar sand with lots of ups and downs. It was brutal being lost out there.

Croom / Withlacoochee State Forest Bike Trail

Over 55 Miles of Single Track in one of the "10 Coolest Places in North America" (according to the World Wildlife Fund)
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #23436
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
I took my Trek X-Caliber on its first outing today, riding the dirt trails at Wekiva state park. Some observations I made along the way:

1. The stock tires are worthless in Florida sugar sand. Traction was almost zero. At times I had to dismount and walk it, as pushing on the pedals would just cause the rear tire to spin.

2. The stock tires are also worthless in wet sand. It takes mere seconds for the shallow treadblocks to completely clog up. At that point it's like riding on slicks.

3. The bike acquitted itself well in all sorts of terrain (except sugar sand). It had rained shortly before I got there, and the exposed roots on the trail were still wet and slippery. There were times I was sure I was going to go down in particularly rough sections, but it never happened. I did make sure to have my Go Pro camera rolling just in case, mindful of the street cred I'd earn by doing a face plant and having the documentation to prove it.

4. The hard tail didn't give nearly as bumpy a ride as I'd expected, even when going over roots.

5. Trails like these may be good practice for beginners, but you can't ride them fast enough to get a decent workout. I need to find some hills.

6. Florida does have cactuses!
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #23437
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,848
Try less air pressure.

Sounds like you've got the tires pumped up too high.

Old rule of thumb is you should be able to bottom out the tire on the biggest hit of the day. (same as your suspension)

M
Old 03-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #23438
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,319
Soooo, anybody really familiar with MTB forks? My seals are leaking already on both sides - had oil on 'em in the store too. I'll go ride for a while, clean the stanchions then go ride for a while longer. The next time I look down there, there's oil and gunk on the stanchions again. (brand new Reba RL)

I've been riding a Lefty with a boot since forever and never even saw the stanchion, so if it leaked, I had no idea (nothing ever came out of the boot). But on moto forks, leaky seals means time to change. Do these air/oil forks just leak as a matter of use, or did I get a dud?

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #23439
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Try less air pressure.

Sounds like you've got the tires pumped up too high.

Old rule of thumb is you should be able to bottom out the tire on the biggest hit of the day. (same as your suspension)

M
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
Soooo, anybody really familiar with MTB forks? My seals are leaking already on both sides - had oil on 'em in the store too. I'll go ride for a while, clean the stanchions then go ride for a while longer. The next time I look down there, there's oil and gunk on the stanchions again. (brand new Reba RL)

I've been riding a Lefty with a boot since forever and never even saw the stanchion, so if it leaked, I had no idea (nothing ever came out of the boot). But on moto forks, leaky seals means time to change. Do these air/oil forks just leak as a matter of use, or did I get a dud?
Leaker. Seek warranty service, as it'll only get worse and time is against you.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #23440
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Quote:

Leaker. Seek warranty service, as it'll only get worse and time is against you.

Hey, thanks. I'll run it over there as soon as they open. Hopefully they'll gimme a loaner...gonna be 65 and sunny today

Old 03-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #23441
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey, thanks. I'll run it over there as soon as they open. Hopefully they'll gimme a loaner...gonna be 65 and sunny today
At least they can see it, get parts on order or rebuild it if they have 'em, and you'll still be able to ride your bike this weekend.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #23442
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Quote:
At least they can see it, get parts on order or rebuild it if they have 'em, and you'll still be able to ride your bike this weekend.
And as it works out that's how it's gonna go.

But today I was reminded of why I hate bike shops. Err, it's not the shops themselves. I went in and told the tech everything that was going on (grabby & notchy front brake, fork issue, funny noise coming from rear end) and he said to me "I know you spent a lot of money on this, but I think your expectations of this bike are unreasonable".

However, he agreed to take it for a ride to see. About 60 seconds later he was back but this time agreed with everything I said. I was cleared to ride this weekend, but the fork's gonna be rebuilt and replaced along with the front brake.

Next time I'm just gonna build. I've had it with shop attitudes.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #23443
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,978
Quote:
And as it works out that's how it's gonna go.

But today I was reminded of why I hate bike shops. Err, it's not the shops themselves. I went in and told the tech everything that was going on (grabby & notchy front brake, fork issue, funny noise coming from rear end) and he said to me "I know you spent a lot of money on this, but I think your expectations of this bike are unreasonable".

However, he agreed to take it for a ride to see. About 60 seconds later he was back but this time agreed with everything I said. I was cleared to ride this weekend, but the fork's gonna be rebuilt and replaced along with the front brake.

Next time I'm just gonna build. I've had it with shop attitudes.
If you wanted to rebuild them yourself, enduro fork seals has great instructions for a lot of forks. . . . look it up and see if it's something you want to do.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #23444
DirtGrlll
Positively Motocyclic

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
I hate bike shops...Next time I'm just gonna build. I've had it with shop attitudes.
Sorry to hear of your experience and while it may be more the norm than we'd all hope, consider finding a different shop with a better vibe. I am so incredibly lucky to have a LBS such as Milford Bicycle here in MA where that kinda attitude just doesn't exist. It's akin to finding a trusty auto mechanic and probably equally elusive but when you find it, keep it.
DirtGrlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #23445
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
If you wanted to rebuild them yourself, enduro fork seals has great instructions for a lot of forks. . . . look it up and see if it's something you want to do.

Thanks for the heads up! Once this is no longer a warranty issue, I'll be doing it myself for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtGrlll View Post
Sorry to hear of your experience and while it may be more the norm than we'd all hope, consider finding a different shop with a better vibe. I am so incredibly lucky to have a LBS such as Milford Bicycle here in MA where that kinda attitude just doesn't exist. It's akin to finding a trusty auto mechanic and probably equally elusive but when you find it, keep it.

You are lucky. I've found one good shop as long as I've been riding. Err, make that 2 - but one is out of business now. The one I still like is 1500 miles away. Years ago most of the shops drove me to catalogs or the internet. But I decided since I live in another area now (close to Golden, CO) and it's such a bike Mecca that I thought I'd try the local shops again since I was getting into unfamiliar territory with the 29er and wanted to ride before buying. They're no different anywhere you go it seems. Can't say I didn't give 'em a 200th chance.

I love the new bike though. Despite some manageable kinks, it's just an incredible ride.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: