Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 501 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #23431
Hotspice
Satellites not acquired

Oddometer: 5,547
New Mount Question

Well after my first duathlon last fall I told myself I was going to shop for a new bike come spring. Here we are, spring time and the game is afoot.

I thought I'd see from, those smarter than I, if I was on the right path or get any suggestions.

Basically my plan is a few (4 this year) duathlons/sprint tri's, training associated with them, and start riding to work more.

My initial budget was 1k but after just one shop seemed to jump up to $1400 and that's where I gotta put the brakes on at .

So far I'm looking at the Specialized Secteur Elite and a Trek 2.1 with the H3 head (taller to match the Sectuer from what I'm told).

They both have their variations of either 105 or Tiagra 10 speed. I think Trek calls the Tiagra the "Compact" because it's only got 2 front rings but still have the 105 available.

I have no brand loyalty. I've picked the Specialized and Trek based on friends experiences only.

Any guru's have any suggestions of another model I should throw into the mix and/or are these two pretty good setups?

Get a SmugMug account and use coupon code DwHE0pDRjpJfw to save yourself $5.
Hotspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #23432
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Why do you say that clipless pedals hurt your riding?

The only good thing I can see about flat pedals is that they allow you to get your feet off instantly, without any possibility of getting stuck and falling over. But the downsides are that quite often my feet come off the flat pedals when I don't want them to, and slide out of position at just the times when I really need them to stay put.

Aside from that, there are a couple of additional reasons I think clipless pedals may benefit me:

1. My HT has no rear shock to 'bounce' the back wheel up like FS mountain bikes do, so having my feet attached to the pedals will allow me to use my legs to pull the back wheel up to clear obstacles.

2. They will allow me to put extra power to the pedals when I may unexpectedly need it. For instance, when climbing, I may have enough power to get up the slope, but then encounter a large root or rock at the top which I can't climb over. With a clipless setup, I should be able to recruit more muscles by pulling up forcefully on the other pedal to assist the leg that's pushing down.

It's all a tradeoff . I'm riding steep stuff in the Rockies and the foothills and don't care to be locked in. And it's just another maintenance item. And they clog. Never really found a bike shoe that worked for me either.

I do miss being able to pull as well as push, but that's about all. I dunno about bouncing the rear of a FS bike - I'm more of a hardtail guy. But a bunnyhop usually does the trick and requires neither full suspension nor clipless pedals/shoes. I can bunnyhop higher and more efficiently with clipless, but again, tradeoff.

Actually, that's the big pro I see with clipless - they make you more efficient. I, however, am not in this for efficiency. The more calories I burn on a ride, the better

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #23433
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
It's all a tradeoff . I'm riding steep stuff in the Rockies and the foothills and don't care to be locked in. And it's just another maintenance item. And they clog. Never really found a bike shoe that worked for me either.
Not being able to detach in time is a big concern of mine. I broke my hip that way back in July, but that was on a road bike that I foolishly rode without having any prior experience with clipless pedals. The reason I'm curious about the Egg Beater style pedals is because people tell me those are the easiest pedal to get your foot out of.

Quote:
I do miss being able to pull as well as push, but that's about all. I dunno about bouncing the rear of a FS bike - I'm more of a hardtail guy. But a bunnyhop usually does the trick and requires neither full suspension nor clipless pedals/shoes.
How do you do it? All the instructional videos I've seen where the technique is demonstrated used FS bikes, where the rider would bounce the rear up by compressing the rear suspension, or just jerk the bike up with his feet. But that requires a rear shock or clipless pedals, and I have neither.

Quote:
Actually, that's the big pro I see with clipless - they make you more efficient. I, however, am not in this for efficiency. The more calories I burn on a ride, the better
I've got a friend who tells me the same thing about his hybrid, and who thinks people who ride around in tights on carbon fiber road bikes are :ymca. My answer to him is that having a more efficient road bike allows me to get the same workout, while enabling me to ride faster or longer than he does.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #23434
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
How do you do it? All the instructional videos I've seen where the technique is demonstrated used FS bikes, where the rider would bounce the rear up by compressing the rear suspension, or just jerk the bike up with his feet. But that requires a rear shock or clipless pedals, and I have neither.
Watch a BMX how-to.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #23435
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Watch a BMX how-to.
Awesome. Now I understand how it works.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #23436
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
I think the Bicycle thread just lapped itself again.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #23437
blackfriar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Hotspice I did some shopping of the same bikes last fall. I encourage you to ride the bikes you can. They are not always easy to find in the size that fits you. The whole frame/component deal got pretty confusing for me. I was looking at the least expensive carbon frame from Trek, but that has a lower grade of parts than the highest priced aluminum frame. After riding as many as I could, I got a closeout price in September on the Trek 2.3 that has all 105 parts. I had no intention of spending that much money, so I know what you mean about the price jumping up quickly. So far I like the bike for riding the local roads and paved trails. Good luck.
2009 KLR 650 sold
2011 BMW R1200GSA
blackfriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #23438
Hotspice
Satellites not acquired

Oddometer: 5,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfriar View Post
Hotspice I did some shopping of the same bikes last fall. I encourage you to ride the bikes you can. They are not always easy to find in the size that fits you. The whole frame/component deal got pretty confusing for me. I was looking at the least expensive carbon frame from Trek, but that has a lower grade of parts than the highest priced aluminum frame. After riding as many as I could, I got a closeout price in September on the Trek 2.3 that has all 105 parts. I had no intention of spending that much money, so I know what you mean about the price jumping up quickly. So far I like the bike for riding the local roads and paved trails. Good luck.
Yea, my skills are nowhere near being able to notice the difference a carbon frame would give me so, like you, I'd rather get better components.

I'll have to see if they have some of last years models around in the H3 height and see what I can get. The one rep said the 3 rings up front will do hills better because of the but that everyone was moving to the 10 speed - 2 ring??

Thanks again..

Get a SmugMug account and use coupon code DwHE0pDRjpJfw to save yourself $5.
Hotspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #23439
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,452
I don't own a secteur, but we've got a Sirrus & a Dolce in the house. I love them. Neither has ever given me any trouble at all. I recommend Specialized. However, given my recent experiences with Shimano, I'd see if the bike shop would be willing to swap in or sell you a SRAM drivetrain on a new bike. Upgrading will be much, much easier.

Post pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspice View Post
Well after my first duathlon last fall I told myself I was going to shop for a new bike come spring. Here we are, spring time and the game is afoot.

I thought I'd see from, those smarter than I, if I was on the right path or get any suggestions.

Basically my plan is a few (4 this year) duathlons/sprint tri's, training associated with them, and start riding to work more.

My initial budget was 1k but after just one shop seemed to jump up to $1400 and that's where I gotta put the brakes on at .

So far I'm looking at the Specialized Secteur Elite and a Trek 2.1 with the H3 head (taller to match the Sectuer from what I'm told).

They both have their variations of either 105 or Tiagra 10 speed. I think Trek calls the Tiagra the "Compact" because it's only got 2 front rings but still have the 105 available.

I have no brand loyalty. I've picked the Specialized and Trek based on friends experiences only.

Any guru's have any suggestions of another model I should throw into the mix and/or are these two pretty good setups?

Old 03-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #23440
Faustus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
I run candy's on my rig and love them, especially here in the PNWet....clears mud well. Minimalist with just enough platform for extended rides.

Faustus screwed with this post 03-20-2012 at 01:57 PM
Faustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #23441
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,817
Quote:
I couldn't agree more. It has caused quite a bit of head scratching when I try to explain it to other riders.
NEITHER of y'all read what I just wrote?

M
Old 03-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #23442
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspice View Post

Giant. They make good bikes too.

Jamis. Very underrated

Pretty much all the bikes in your price range are cookie-cutter bikes. They're all built to a price-point and all feature similar construction, weight, geometry, etc.

If you're 5'8" to 5'10" PM me. I may have a deal for ya.

M
Old 03-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #23443
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

M
I know and remember why. I still think it's stupid.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #23444
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

M
'Course I did. But I already knew the explanation. What I'm saying is that regardless of how 'clipless' pedals got their name, it still seems confusing to many people to call them that.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #23445
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
So naysayers, what should we call clipless pedals then?
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: