User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 498 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #24616
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,825
I had a mashed Ciocc Mocba 1980 and a Motobecane Grand Record, I could of made a gift set from!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
oooh, I like that. I bet I could use one of these ...

My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:40 PM   #24617
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I had a mashed Ciocc Mocba 1980 and a Motobecane Grand Record, I could of made a gift set from!
hey, I still have my early 70s Grand Record. I ain't cutting into those chromed 531 forks with the campi tips for anything.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #24618
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
If you're looking for something to do...

M
Old 07-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #24619
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post

Mechanical Monday: Readers Weigh in on Season’s Best Tools

Making bicycle themed bottle openers is fun...

But the quality control testing can get a little overwhelming...

;-)
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:09 PM   #24620
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by surly357 View Post
Making bicycle themed bottle openers is fun...

But the quality control testing can get a little overwhelming...

;-)
and I wonder how many modern riders will recognize those as the lever on a coaster brake?

muahahaah. got any that say New Departure? :)
(worst. brakes. ever. had one sieze up coming down Eldridge Grade on the east side of Tam and snap my rear axle. that was a LONG walk home lugging a broken 60 lb inch-pinch cruiser :-/)
Old 08-01-2012, 01:10 AM   #24621
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,898
I tore my calf muscle in June last year playing rugby. Took 6 months to heal thanks to me playing rugby again too quickly. I finally got off the cane in December but didn't do any riding or rugby till I came back from Hong Kong in March.

And of course the very first time I went out to go play some touch rugby I broke a bone in my foot. Had an op done on both feet; one the broken bone, the other had a fibroma removed.

I finally am walking again, but it hurts. Dr said I should stay on my feet to speed up the healing process.

I managed 20 laboured minutes of pedalling on the rollers tonight. Took 40 minutes as I had to stop so often, but I kept pushing. Guess with that sort of cardio i'm not going to be playing any more rugby. I think i've ridden maybe 100 miles in the last year thanks to injuries.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #24622
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
.....got any that say New Departure? :))

my least favorite american brake as well- but the early, small arms make the coolest openers!
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #24623
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
More in a town an hour and a half from here called Terrace. They have a pretty cool road scene there so I go there to race.
snip]
Cool. I have a peev about people who want Strava KOMs but wont line up for a real race. There's a group of guys in my town that are super strong and go out and crush every group ride but they wont line up on race day even though there is a promoter in the next town dying for people to join his actual racing scene.

I'm not a racer any longer but I feel like I should at least do some of my home races so I dutifully line up and get crushed, my fun comes in trying to organize a chase.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #24624
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,920
Back at it again. Found the time to stop by PB during the day today, and the mechanic there was once again most helpful, and agreed with the consensus on the contis. Gave me the thirty second tips and tricks to do it myself, and it was as easy as he said it would be.

Did my 20 mile easy loop with two of the strava achievement hills thrown in, but my phone went wonky and only showed it as 11 miles, with a couple connections in between points. That's my major complaint with strava, but I think it has more to do with the phones GPS than the strava app. .

Came home, checked everything over once again. Verified the fitment of my anti-asshole cager implement and am satisfied with it at this point.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #24625
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
So there I was.. third wheel coming in to the final 2km of the ride tonite. Found myself 3rd wheel.

Eff it. Let's attack like I've seen the euros do.

Got about a quarter mile lead, looked back and saw nothing so I sat up. I figured I had em.

Then I looked over my shoulder again. Whoops! Here they come! Cranked up the sprint, but missed it at the line by a few feet.

Turns out one of the guys chasing me was putting out 984 watts!

My legs blew sky high 4x tonite. Twice going uphill.

M
Old 08-02-2012, 04:54 AM   #24626
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,773
Strava

I've just installed the Strava application on my cell phone. Can anyone explain the procedure for recording a ride?

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #24627
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,898
I've a Strava question as well. The entire length of our local MTB trail is a segment. Not a problem really, except that when I only complete a part of it and pull off early, it still counts the time as the whole segment. For example, my personal best according to Strava is a 5.1 mile ride, when the total length is somewhat over 6 miles. So of course the shorter ride didn't take as long.

Granted, in a few weeks I hope that the entire route is faster than what the partial was, but then what if I only do part of it in the future? Anyway, seems like an odd quirk
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #24628
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,825
Open the APP.

Once the GPS finds you, push the "Play" button in the middle.

At this point I blank my screen with the "Off" button soI don't pocket pause the ride.
Upon finishing the ride hit the Finish ride button, then save and upload. Wifi connection help make the upload work better.

I've found the GPS way more accurate on Strava than with Runkeeper or SportsTracker Live I used with my Android phone.
Part of why I picked the iPhone was Strava and part of why I picked Strava was the way it worked.

I bought the Premium account. I hear adding the app: "Gaia GPS" can help GPS reception.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #24629
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
I've a Strava question as well. The entire length of our local MTB trail is a segment. Not a problem really, except that when I only complete a part of it and pull off early, it still counts the time as the whole segment. For example, my personal best according to Strava is a 5.1 mile ride, when the total length is somewhat over 6 miles. So of course the shorter ride didn't take as long.

Granted, in a few weeks I hope that the entire route is faster than what the partial was, but then what if I only do part of it in the future? Anyway, seems like an odd quirk
Does Strava allow you to delete runs that you don't want saved? I'm going to do some experimental ones just to see how it works, but I don't want these to be saved. I also just realized that I'm going to be at a competitive disadvantage because I have to put away the cell phone once I start the run and then take it out again to stop it. That's going to add precious seconds to my times!
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #24630
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Does Strava allow you to delete runs that you don't want saved? I'm going to do some experimental ones just to see how it works, but I don't want these to be saved. I also just realized that I'm going to be at a competitive disadvantage because I have to put away the cell phone once I start the run and then take it out again to stop it. That's going to add precious seconds to my times!

May I prescribe a chill pill also

I think you're joking but given some of your posts, I'm not so sure

'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: