User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 4.40 average. Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #24616
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,880
I got into work today about 8, almost mid-day for my usual. We had a meeting and talked about all the stuff to get done. Decided I'd get to work the overnight shift, so I headed home and decided I'd might as well go for a short ride to maybe wear myself out a little for a nap.

Little Ride:

This ended up not working out quite like I'd planned. I got about a half hour nap before some salesman called and woke me. I guess that Do Not Call thing expired?

Anyway on the way out I spied a yellow jersey up ahead as I was just getting loose. Wicked it up and caught him on the hill, where else?
We cycled through one minute pulls in a little two man break, and then as we got to the bridge I was done.

So much for my high level of fitness.
Felt OK even with the headwind. I just put my head down and spun the pedals. Turned around at the hour, and headed back to the hill. Up the face again though not to the top. Hot by then.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #24617
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,155
Guess its better than nothing

M
Old 07-24-2012, 04:34 AM   #24618
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Roadies around here flagrantly disregard traffic laws and think nothing of holding up traffic for miles. They are justifiably despised by every driver and motorcyclist. It's a wonder there haven't been more incidents of road rage like this.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #24619
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,327
Quote:
Def in 2 minds over this. Sure, he's a dick but it sounds like the cyclists were too and they ran into the back of HIM.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #24620
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 17,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Def in 2 minds over this. Sure, he's a dick but it sounds like the cyclists were too and they ran into the back of HIM.
Every had a driver do a fast and hard brake-check on you? I've had it done to me going downhill and guess what, it's either react or run into them. I clearly got lucky and was able to swerve around them.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #24621
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Every had a driver do a fast and hard brake-check on you? I've had it done to me going downhill and guess what, it's either react or run into them. I clearly got lucky and was able to swerve around them.
Well, unless he swerves into your path, wouldn't that be your fault ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 07-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #24622
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Roadies around here flagrantly disregard traffic laws and think nothing of holding up traffic for miles. They are justifiably despised by every driver and motorcyclist. It's a wonder there haven't been more incidents of road rage like this.
So true. This is why I usually ride solo on road rides. Heck last Sunday I was almost run off the Pinellas trail by a group riding three wide coming head on. That is just blatant ignorance.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #24623
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
So true. This is why I usually ride solo on road rides. Heck last Sunday I was almost run off the Pinellas trail by a group riding three wide coming head on. That is just blatant ignorance.
I always ride solo and try to stay off the road if at all possible. One of the guys in my Sunday motorcycle groups is a roadie who sees no problem at all with bicyclists hindering motorized traffic. He went as far as to deny that there was any statute requiring cyclists to ride single file on any public road where their slow speeds impede traffic. When I offered to e-mail him the Florida statute, his response was, "I don't want to see it." It's that kind of mind bending arrogance that causes bicyclists to become the targets of road rage. They go out of their way to antagonize the public and then have the nerve to whine that they're being unfairly targeted.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #24624
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Well, unless he swerves into your path, wouldn't that be your fault ?
That's exactly what the dr. did.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #24625
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
That's exactly what the dr. did.
I didn't read that in the report.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 07-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #24626
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
I didn't read that in the report.
I've been following this one for sometime - the dr. passed them, cut over and slammed on his brakes. Maybe those guys were wrong for riding side-by-side - I doubt it's illegal under CA law - dunno - but he got what he deserved and now, even the dr. appears to recognize that he was wrong. That could be "pre-sentence remorse" though.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #24627
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,816
During a road ride, as I was putting the water bottle back into its cage last night, my thumb nail snagged the rear brake cable. Instant mph drop. Were it not for my cat like reflexes, the rear tire would have locked up and things would have gotten nasty in short order. This is a first in 20 years and many thousands of miles. Just because your muscle memory allows you to put the bottle into the cage without looking, don't assume its always safe.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #24628
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,496
Quote:
I've been following this one for sometime - the dr. passed them, cut over and slammed on his brakes. Maybe those guys were wrong for riding side-by-side - I doubt it's illegal under CA law - dunno - but he got what he deserved and now, even the dr. appears to recognize that he was wrong. That could be "pre-sentence remorse" though.
This happened a few years ago and those of us in LA watched it pretty carefully. Mandeville Cyn road is a huge draw for cyclists and the La Grange team has a weekday morning training ride there. Most residents are cool with the cyclists and vice-versa.

Some factors to consider:

This particular driver was pretty well known to be aggressive and occasionally dangerous to cyclists. (Multiple complaints to police about his road rage and a few anecdotes posted to local bike forums with his description and plate number.

The cyclists were side-by-side and it's legal to take the lane in CA.

They were descending a hill (about 4% in that spot) and doing just over the 25mph speed limit.

The good doctor drove on wrong side of the road alongside the riders while both sides shouted their unhappiness at each other.

The doctor then cut in front of them and braked hard.

The more seriously injured cyclist had his nose nearly taken off when he put his head through the rear windshield of the doctor's car. I've seen the pics and it's the reason for the guilty charge of mayhem.

(CPC Sec. 203. Every person who unlawfully and maliciously deprives a human
being of a member of his body, or disables, disfigures, or renders it
useless, or cuts or disables the tongue, or puts out an eye, or
slits the nose, ear, or lip, is guilty of mayhem.)

The doctor didn't render aid to either of the injured men and continued to berate them while the paramedics were working on them and in the presence of the LAPD.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #24629
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,133
Quote:

Good article. Sometimes, riders do bring this stuff on themselves. I would love to see our local popo writing some tickets to riders for running stop signs, riding on the wrong side of the street or riding way too fast on the sidewalk.

It would not take that many tickets to send a very loud message to my local community.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #24630
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
The doctor didn't render aid to either of the injured men and continued to berate them while the paramedics were working on them and in the presence of the LAPD.
And this guy is a doctor?! Makes you wonder how many patients he might have killed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: