Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 498 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #25516
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Just wondered what the best strategy is for obtaining the fastest 2 mile sprint time:

1. Push as hard as you can from start to finish.
2. Keep some energy in reserve and go all out towards the end.

A guy I ride with mentioned that his track coach advocated #2, but I don't know whether this applies to bicycle sprinting.
IME you can really only go 'all out' for 2-300m max. Even Cav can only keep up his sprint for 4-500m.

So, negative splits it is!

M
Old 10-15-2012, 06:36 AM   #25517
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
IME you can really only go 'all out' for 2-300m max. Even Cav can only keep up his sprint for 4-500m.

So, negative splits it is!

M
Yeah, I wondered about that while trying to set a PR on Strava this weekend. I went full blast right off the starting line, but ran out of steam about 2/3rds of the way through. By the time I reached the end I was so exhausted that I was seeing stars. All my strength was gone and all I could manage at that point was to turn around and coast back.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #25518
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,330
Quote:
Yeah, I wondered about that while trying to set a PR on Strava this weekend. I went full blast right off the starting line, but ran out of steam about 2/3rds of the way through. By the time I reached the end I was so exhausted that I was seeing stars. All my strength was gone and all I could manage at that point was to turn around and coast back.
Good job you weren't racing eh....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #25519
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Good job you weren't racing eh....
I only did it to beat the record set by a local rider who I can't stand. I'm going to beat his personal record by a wide margin and rub his face in it.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #25520
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
http://www.showerspass.com/veleau-1

Sent from my intergalactic space modulator using tapatalk
Got one of these for my wife and she really likes it. She keeps an extra bottle in a cage for refills as well.

Quote:
A local mountain biker I know finally bought his first roadbike, a Trek Madone 5.9. This guy works out with weights and has massive leg muscles coupled with tremendous endurance, and a body fat percentage of 7%. I assumed that because of all this, he'd be winning all the KOM's in the area, but so far his best placings have been 4th and 8th place on the leader board - losing out to riders who don't look to be in better shape than the average person. These KOM's consist of sprints or hill climbs, which don't require skill, just strength and endurance - which he has in spades. So why wouldn't someone who has his degree of physical development and a fast bike like the Madone 5.9 be able to easily outrun everyone else in these kinds of 'races'?

Totally different disciplines.

And no skill to a sprint or climb?
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #25521
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,483
Quote:
I only did it to beat the record set by a local rider who I can't stand. I'm going to beat his personal record by a wide margin and rub his face in it.
kinda takes the fun outta it, eh?
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #25522
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,836
Seriously Aurelius, it seems to me that you are taking all the joy out of bicycling by turning every ride into a competition. I am very competitive, but my riding buddy still kicksmy butt on hills. I can haul ass on the flats. Then we have a good laugh over post ride beers. Lighten up, and enjoy yourself.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #25523
Chillis
Land Barge Pilot

Oddometer: 4,157
Started trying seats today.

Grabbed a WTB Volt because it is similar size to the stock seat but is thicker in padding. Don't like it. Taking it back tomorrow.

Tried a Specialized Body Geometry something or other that weighed a ton and was huge but it was really plush. It made the bike shrink.

Now to find low profile, wide, with give while being narrow at the front and light.
Chillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #25524
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post

Grabbed a WTB Volt because it is similar size to the stock seat but is thicker in padding. Don't like it. Taking it back tomorrow.

Tried a Specialized Body Geometry something or other that weighed a ton and was huge but it was really plush. It made the bike shrink.

Now to find low profile, wide, with give while being narrow at the front and light.
heavily padded saddles squirm under you, and are painful on longer rides... you need a big wide saddle on a bike where you are sitting straight up and down, like a cruiser... anything else, you should be leaning forward enough that your weight is distributed between your legs, your arms and only some of it is on your butt, and for these, you want a firm slender seat, just wide enough in the back to be under your 'sit bones' (the ishium loops).

of the Specialized BG seats, for a hybrid style bike, and a casual rider, you might try the Sonoma or Milano, and /not/ the Gel versions. For my butt, I like the Milano in the 175 width...
Old 10-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #25525
Chillis
Land Barge Pilot

Oddometer: 4,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
heavily padded saddles squirm under you, and are painful on longer rides... you need a big wide saddle on a bike where you are sitting straight up and down, like a cruiser... anything else, you should be leaning forward enough that your weight is distributed between your legs, your arms and only some of it is on your butt, and for these, you want a firm slender seat, just wide enough in the back to be under your 'sit bones' (the ishium loops).

of the Specialized BG seats, for a hybrid style bike, and a casual rider, you might try the Sonoma or Milano, and /not/ the Gel versions. For my butt, I like the Milano in the 175 width...
I tried the Sonoma. That was the Cadillac seat in feel and weight.

They are going to show me a light weight Specialized seat with an air gap in the middle.
Chillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:39 AM   #25526
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,898
Say what you want about cheap Chinese products, but I have been very very happy with the cheap tubes that I bought 5 years ago after suffering two flat tires in a span of ten minutes. Asked for a tougher more durable tube and the bike shop owner, Chinese no less, said that for what I was asking, he only had cheap Chinese tubes that weren't the best quality, but were a thicker rubber. I said "sold."

5 years. 1 flat tire on tonight's bike ride. That's a great return on my investment as far as I am concerned. Of course, now i need a compact pump that will work in five years time. The one I had was utterly useless. I wonder if it's also Chinese....
Old 10-16-2012, 05:39 AM   #25527
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,950
Quote:

Considering that you live in Vegas and it doesn't rain as much out there. I would HIGHLY suggest investing in a Brooks B17 saddle. Best money you will ever spend on a bicycle is improving the contact points between your butt and the bike.
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #25528
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I tried the Sonoma. That was the Cadillac seat in feel and weight.

They are going to show me a light weight Specialized seat with an air gap in the middle.
The ONLY one that worked for me is the Adamo Road Saddle:

It differs from all the others in one important respect: its geometry allows you to change the location of the pressure points by sliding backward or forward. On every conventional saddle I've tried, the pressure points remain in the same place regardless of how I position myself on the seat. With the Adamo, there is a pronounced difference in feel between sitting on the two 'prongs' in front, and sitting on the large padded area further toward the back. As soon as you feel a bit of pain in one position, just slide your butt forward (or back) to relieve the pressure on the affected area. By regularly altering your seating position, you can ward off pain for much longer than would be possible with a conventional saddle.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #25529
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Seriously Aurelius, it seems to me that you are taking all the joy out of bicycling by turning every ride into a competition. I am very competitive, but my riding buddy still kicksmy butt on hills. I can haul ass on the flats. Then we have a good laugh over post ride beers. Lighten up, and enjoy yourself.

yup.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #25530
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
That's going to be a PITA, literally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
Say what you want about cheap Chinese products, but I have been very very happy with the cheap tubes that I bought 5 years ago after suffering two flat tires in a span of ten minutes. Asked for a tougher more durable tube and the bike shop owner, Chinese no less, said that for what I was asking, he only had cheap Chinese tubes that weren't the best quality, but were a thicker rubber. I said "sold."

5 years. 1 flat tire on tonight's bike ride. That's a great return on my investment as far as I am concerned. Of course, now i need a compact pump that will work in five years time. The one I had was utterly useless. I wonder if it's also Chinese....
Funny story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Considering that you live in Vegas and it doesn't rain as much out there. I would HIGHLY suggest investing in a Brooks B17 saddle. Best money you will ever spend on a bicycle is improving the contact points between your butt and the bike.
I run a B17 Imperial and it has a totally different shape (much less crown), despite the "B17" nomenclature.
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: