ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 203 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #25636
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Started trying seats today.

Grabbed a WTB Volt because it is similar size to the stock seat but is thicker in padding. Don't like it. Taking it back tomorrow.

Tried a Specialized Body Geometry something or other that weighed a ton and was huge but it was really plush. It made the bike shrink.

Now to find low profile, wide, with give while being narrow at the front and light.
heavily padded saddles squirm under you, and are painful on longer rides... you need a big wide saddle on a bike where you are sitting straight up and down, like a cruiser... anything else, you should be leaning forward enough that your weight is distributed between your legs, your arms and only some of it is on your butt, and for these, you want a firm slender seat, just wide enough in the back to be under your 'sit bones' (the ishium loops).

of the Specialized BG seats, for a hybrid style bike, and a casual rider, you might try the Sonoma or Milano, and /not/ the Gel versions. For my butt, I like the Milano in the 175 width...
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #25637
brianwheelies
Iron toocus
 
brianwheelies's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Oddometer: 2,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
heavily padded saddles squirm under you, and are painful on longer rides... you need a big wide saddle on a bike where you are sitting straight up and down, like a cruiser... anything else, you should be leaning forward enough that your weight is distributed between your legs, your arms and only some of it is on your butt, and for these, you want a firm slender seat, just wide enough in the back to be under your 'sit bones' (the ishium loops).

of the Specialized BG seats, for a hybrid style bike, and a casual rider, you might try the Sonoma or Milano, and /not/ the Gel versions. For my butt, I like the Milano in the 175 width...
I tried the Sonoma. That was the Cadillac seat in feel and weight.

They are going to show me a light weight Specialized seat with an air gap in the middle.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninVT View Post
Adding a turbo or supercharger doesn't automatically turn an engine into a Palestinian alarm clock.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:39 AM   #25638
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe
 
neanderthal's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: los angeles. ca.
Oddometer: 1,815
Say what you want about cheap Chinese products, but I have been very very happy with the cheap tubes that I bought 5 years ago after suffering two flat tires in a span of ten minutes. Asked for a tougher more durable tube and the bike shop owner, Chinese no less, said that for what I was asking, he only had cheap Chinese tubes that weren't the best quality, but were a thicker rubber. I said "sold."

5 years. 1 flat tire on tonight's bike ride. That's a great return on my investment as far as I am concerned. Of course, now i need a compact pump that will work in five years time. The one I had was utterly useless. I wonder if it's also Chinese....
__________________
'O=00=O'
BMW 2002. long live the legend
neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:39 AM   #25639
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Chasing my tail
Oddometer: 1,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Started trying seats today.

Grabbed a WTB Volt because it is similar size to the stock seat but is thicker in padding. Don't like it. Taking it back tomorrow.

Tried a Specialized Body Geometry something or other that weighed a ton and was huge but it was really plush. It made the bike shrink.

Now to find low profile, wide, with give while being narrow at the front and light.
Considering that you live in Vegas and it doesn't rain as much out there. I would HIGHLY suggest investing in a Brooks B17 saddle. Best money you will ever spend on a bicycle is improving the contact points between your butt and the bike.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #25640
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 21,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
I tried the Sonoma. That was the Cadillac seat in feel and weight.

They are going to show me a light weight Specialized seat with an air gap in the middle.
The ONLY one that worked for me is the Adamo Road Saddle:



It differs from all the others in one important respect: its geometry allows you to change the location of the pressure points by sliding backward or forward. On every conventional saddle I've tried, the pressure points remain in the same place regardless of how I position myself on the seat. With the Adamo, there is a pronounced difference in feel between sitting on the two 'prongs' in front, and sitting on the large padded area further toward the back. As soon as you feel a bit of pain in one position, just slide your butt forward (or back) to relieve the pressure on the affected area. By regularly altering your seating position, you can ward off pain for much longer than would be possible with a conventional saddle.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #25641
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Seriously Aurelius, it seems to me that you are taking all the joy out of bicycling by turning every ride into a competition. I am very competitive, but my riding buddy still kicksmy butt on hills. I can haul ass on the flats. Then we have a good laugh over post ride beers. Lighten up, and enjoy yourself.


yup.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #25642
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Started trying seats today.
That's going to be a PITA, literally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
Say what you want about cheap Chinese products, but I have been very very happy with the cheap tubes that I bought 5 years ago after suffering two flat tires in a span of ten minutes. Asked for a tougher more durable tube and the bike shop owner, Chinese no less, said that for what I was asking, he only had cheap Chinese tubes that weren't the best quality, but were a thicker rubber. I said "sold."

5 years. 1 flat tire on tonight's bike ride. That's a great return on my investment as far as I am concerned. Of course, now i need a compact pump that will work in five years time. The one I had was utterly useless. I wonder if it's also Chinese....
Funny story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Considering that you live in Vegas and it doesn't rain as much out there. I would HIGHLY suggest investing in a Brooks B17 saddle. Best money you will ever spend on a bicycle is improving the contact points between your butt and the bike.
I run a B17 Imperial and it has a totally different shape (much less crown), despite the "B17" nomenclature.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:34 AM   #25643
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
The ONLY one that worked for me is the Adamo Road Saddle:



It differs from all the others in one important respect: its geometry allows you to change the location of the pressure points by sliding backward or forward. On every conventional saddle I've tried, the pressure points remain in the same place regardless of how I position myself on the seat. With the Adamo, there is a pronounced difference in feel between sitting on the two 'prongs' in front, and sitting on the large padded area further toward the back. As soon as you feel a bit of pain in one position, just slide your butt forward (or back) to relieve the pressure on the affected area. By regularly altering your seating position, you can ward off pain for much longer than would be possible with a conventional saddle.
My GF runs one of those, on her tri bike. It feels like sitting on a 2X4, to me. It's definitely a love/hate saddle, as she loves it, but, only on her tri bike. And, the fore/aft positioning has to be spot on.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:38 AM   #25644
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 21,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Seriously Aurelius, it seems to me that you are taking all the joy out of bicycling by turning every ride into a competition.
Every ride? 95% of my rides have nothing to do with sprints or lap times - which, by the way, are enjoyable in their own way.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:41 AM   #25645
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Chasing my tail
Oddometer: 1,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I run a B17 Imperial and it has a totally different shape (much less crown), despite the "B17" nomenclature.
Good to hear. I've thought about buying the imperial for my wife, as she is always in a hate/hate relationship with her saddles.

I have the standard B17 on my Vassago and LOVE that saddle!

I just picked up a brand new B15 swallow that I plan to race on the CAAD next year. Weight be damned, I'm racing for distance and comfort will be necessary!
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #25646
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 21,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
My GF runs one of those, on her tri bike. It feels like sitting on a 2X4, to me. It's definitely a love/hate saddle, as she loves it, but, only on her tri bike. And, the fore/aft positioning has to be spot on.
It doesn't feel any harder than other saddles I've tried. In my experience with motorcycle saddles, the harder ones actually feel more comfortable over the long haul than the soft ones. I'll admit that I was put off by the Adamo at first because I couldn't understand how sitting on those two thin rails could be comfortable for even ten minutes. Fortunately the bike shop gave me a loaner to try for a couple of weeks. The first ride sold me on it.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:57 AM   #25647
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Chasing my tail
Oddometer: 1,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
It doesn't feel any harder than other saddles I've tried. In my experience with motorcycle saddles, the harder ones actually feel more comfortable over the long haul than the soft ones. I'll admit that I was put off by the Adamo at first because I couldn't understand how sitting on those two thin rails could be comfortable for even ten minutes. Fortunately the bike shop gave me a loaner to try for a couple of weeks. The first ride sold me on it.

The bigger and plusher the saddle, the more places hot spots and pressure points can develop. This is less noticeable for shorter rides, but as you add distance and speed, the butt-to-saddle contact points needs to be more narrow and fitted to where your sit bones are located. Firm is good, but only if it fits your bottom. some good bike shops will have a saddle fit device that looks like some memory foam. This is to determine the distance between your sit bones and where the contact points should be made. A secondary variable is how your body contours to the bike and Fizik has narrowed it down to three bend profiles. Snake, Chameleon or Bull. I'm not saying these are the standard by which you should compare... just what has worked for me. I tried all makes and manner of saddles before I settled on the Fizik Antares for my road bike and Fizik Tundra for the MTB. I put Brooks on everything else.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:29 AM   #25648
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 21,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
The bigger and plusher the saddle, the more places hot spots and pressure points can develop. This is less noticeable for shorter rides, but as you add distance and speed, the butt-to-saddle contact points needs to be more narrow and fitted to where your sit bones are located. Firm is good, but only if it fits your bottom.
I've been told that the reason soft seats quickly become uncomfortable is because sinking into the padding causes the skin to stretch, cutting off blood flow. There's a chair at my office just like that. It feels very nice as you sink into it, but no one has managed to sit in it for more than ten minutes without getting butt burn. The cheap hard plastic chairs are actually a lot more comfortable.

Quote:
some good bike shops will have a saddle fit device that looks like some memory foam. This is to determine the distance between your sit bones and where the contact points should be made.
Yep, seen those at the Trek dealerships. It's a flat plastic membrane filled with a highly viscous liquid that reveals both the shape of your sit bones and the width between them. Supposedly you can match up the impression left on the device with one of the saddles the sell there.

Quote:
A secondary variable is how your body contours to the bike and Fizik has narrowed it down to three bend profiles. Snake, Chameleon or Bull. I'm not saying these are the standard by which you should compare... just what has worked for me. I tried all makes and manner of saddles before I settled on the Fizik Antares for my road bike and Fizik Tundra for the MTB. I put Brooks on everything else.
Interesting. I never had any complaints about the stock saddles on my mountain bikes. I'm sure they'd suck on a road bike, but I stand on the pedals and move around so much when riding the trails that seat design doesn't seem to matter much.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #25649
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Chasing my tail
Oddometer: 1,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Interesting. I never had any complaints about the stock saddles on my mountain bikes. I'm sure they'd suck on a road bike, but I stand on the pedals and move around so much when riding the trails that seat design doesn't seem to matter much.
Probably less of a factor in Florida, but the MTB trails here can be long grinders that you can't always stand the whole time for. Seat comfort is just as key as it is on a road bike.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #25650
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger
 
fullmonte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Oddometer: 4,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Probably less of a factor in Florida, but the MTB trails here can be long grinders that you can't always stand the whole time for.
Long grinders? Have you moved to the mountainous part of NC? Maybe they have built some real trails since I left the Triangle in 2005. That area was just like it says in your location... wrong place.
__________________
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014