User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 246 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #26101
ceeco
two wheels at a time

Oddometer: 195
Hey guys! Got a nice Salsa I need to sell ASAP.

Here's a link in case you don't frequent the flea market...
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841270

Thanks!
Chuck
ceeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:07 AM   #26102
ceeco
two wheels at a time

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Is this amount of gunk normal or are the fork seals blown?

Fox/Rock Shox both have about a 60 hour maintenance interval. This would be new oil, seals, and inspection normally. If you do the math that's not a lot of miles and most riders would need fork service 2-3 times a year based on the factory recommendation. From my personal experience, once a year service is a good average to shoot for.
ceeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #26103
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,824
Well, I gave in to the light and bought some SPDs this past weekend. I am strongly thinking of installing them this afternoon, and then going on a night ride with them. Maybe foolish since I have never clipped in to clipless pedals, but should be good fun!

Was it Aurelius that hooked his bike up to a machine at the shop and came away with 40% power gains going from platforms to clipless?
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #26104
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Well, I gave in to the light and bought some SPDs this past weekend. I am strongly thinking of installing them this afternoon, and then going on a night ride with them. Maybe foolish since I have never clipped in to clipless pedals, but should be good fun!
I wouldn't do that. You'll fall over every time you have to put your foot down unexpectedly. It's very unnatural to twist your heel sideways to free your foot from the pedal, but this is something you'll have to practice until you do it automatically, and that takes a looong time.

Quote:
Was it Aurelius that hooked his bike up to a machine at the shop and came away with 40% power gains going from platforms to clipless?
The power gain was 22%, which roughly matches the 20% gain other riders had told me to expect. Keep in mind also that I didn't know how to pedal properly with clipless pedals at that time; had I used the correct pedaling technique, applying force smoothly through all 360 degrees of pedal rotation, the difference might have been even greater.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #26105
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I wouldn't do that. You'll fall over every time you have to put your foot down unexpectedly. It's very unnatural to twist your heel sideways to free your foot from the pedal, but this is something you'll have to practice until you do it automatically, and that takes a looong time.

The power gain was 22%, which roughly matches the 20% gain other riders had told me to expect. Keep in mind also that I didn't know how to pedal properly with clipless pedals at that time; had I used the correct pedaling technique, applying force smoothly through all 360 degrees of pedal rotation, the difference might have been even greater.
OK, cool. I may not ride tonight at all. My wife may be going to her parent's tonight to visit with a sister who is in town and lives 1500 miles away. If she goes I will ride, but I may just leave the platforms on for now. Probably the more wise thing to do, I am just excited to try out the new ones. And 20% I can live with
Old 11-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #26106
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,998
Quote:

I wouldn't go night riding. I'd go to a nice soft field for your first few trials. Because you ARE, ARE going to fall over. Would you like to do that during the day on nice soft ground or at night in traffic?

...if you choose the latter can I have your stuff?
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #26107
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
I remember reading a fairly scientific study of racing cyclists pedaling efforts that they don't actually pull UP when they are spinning, but most of the power gains from cleats/clips/whatever is from a 'scrape the sh__ off your shoe' motion at the bottom of each stroke.

since I've started using pin pedals on my hybrid city-bike, I'm finding I get quite a bit of that going as they really hold onto my favorite walking shoes (New Balance MW956)

these pedals I picked up off ebay or amazon or something cheaply rock.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #26108
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
I remember reading a fairly scientific study of racing cyclists pedaling efforts that they don't actually pull UP when they are spinning, but most of the power gains from cleats/clips/whatever is from a 'scrape the sh__ off your shoe' motion at the bottom of each stroke.
The part about not pulling up could be true at high rpms. While pedaling at slow rpms, you'll find that you can pull up quite hard on the pedals, but that ability diminishes as the speed of pedal rotation increases. When there's little resistance on the pedals, the leg pushing down will always be 'faster' because three muscle groups contribute to the down-stroke (the quadriceps, glutes, and hamstrings), whereas only one muscle group (the quadriceps) is capable of lifting the leg back up.

The part I don't believe is that "most of the power gains from cleats/clips/whatever is from a 'scrape the sh__ off your shoe' motion at the bottom of each stroke". That doesn't make sense, because the 'scraping' movement can be performed with or without clipless pedals. The only thing you cannot do with flat pedals is pull up on the pedal.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #26109
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
The part I don't believe is that "most of the power gains from cleats/clips/whatever is from a 'scrape the sh__ off your shoe' motion at the bottom of each stroke". That doesn't make sense, because the 'scraping' movement can be performed with or without clipless pedals. The only thing you cannot do with flat pedals is pull up on the pedal.
with flat pedals, the 'scrape' thing doesn't work real well, except with pin-pedals, I find it does.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #26110
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
with flat pedals, the 'scrape' thing doesn't work real well, except with pin-pedals, I find it does.
It works much better with pins. Without pins, you need to angle the pedal to make sure your foot doesn't slide off when using the 'scrape' technique.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #26111
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
I wouldn't go night riding. I'd go to a nice soft field for your first few trials. Because you ARE, ARE going to fall over. Would you like to do that during the day on nice soft ground or at night in trees?

...if you choose the latter can I have your stuff?
Fixed for reality

And dully noted. I'll stick to the open home sites across from my house for the first few rides (or, the falling experience with some riding thrown in for fun).
Old 11-21-2012, 05:11 AM   #26112
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,756
Its my buddy's 45th b-day today. He wants to do a 45mi mixed surface ride.

...leaving from his place in a little over an hour. Supposed to be darn near 60 later but what does he do?! Rides in the AM when its freaking COLD out!

M
Old 11-21-2012, 05:19 AM   #26113
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Its my buddy's 45th b-day today. He wants to do a 45mi mixed surface ride.

...leaving from his place in a little over an hour. Supposed to be darn near 60 later but what does he do?! Rides in the AM when its freaking COLD out!

M
I want your job

How the hell do you get all this riding in
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:25 AM   #26114
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I want your job

How the hell do you get all this riding in
The down side to all this riding is no clients. No clients = very little $.

I'm in the 'more time than money' part of 'I have enough $ and no time, or no $ and enough time to ride' equation.

M
Old 11-21-2012, 06:35 AM   #26115
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Quote:
Fixed for reality

And dully noted. I'll stick to the open home sites across from my house for the first few rides (or, the falling experience with some riding thrown in for fun).
Qouting myself 'cause I'm cool like that.

And these clipless pedals are weird! I am glad I didn't go to the trails for the first ride. I will get used to them, but I think I almost fell every single time I came to a stop. Not a natural feel at all! Just have to train my brain what to do when stopping, but it will come.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: