ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #26236
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

All the strava KOMs in the world don't mean diddly except for 'feel goods' and 'lookit ME!s'
Stave is the Facebook of cycling.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #26237
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,022
(drooling on that 18 lb hardtail last page)...

as an aside... kinda surprised the mountain folks haven't adopted internal shifting hubs like the Affine 8 and 11 speed stuff. I'd think they'd work much better in messy muddy bushcrashing kind of riding. are they too heavy? too fragile?
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #26238
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe
 
neanderthal's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: los angeles. ca.
Oddometer: 1,854
The whole Strava seems a bit odd to me.

I can see both the sides being presented, but ultimately, it feels like boasting about your practice. I can't imagine ever boasting about rugby practise. "I did the longest beep test" doesn't have the same ring to it as "We won and I scored the winning try."

But it's probably worthwhile to track your progress.
__________________
'O=00=O'
BMW 2002. long live the legend
neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #26239
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
The whole Strava seems a bit odd to me.

I can see both the sides being presented, but ultimately, it feels like boasting about your practice. I can't imagine ever boasting about rugby practise. "I did the longest beep test" doesn't have the same ring to it as "We won and I scored the winning try."

But it's probably worthwhile to track your progress.
to me, its about like those bumper stickers "MY STUDENT IS AN HONOR ROLL STUDENT AT ______ MIDDLE SCHOOL". or posting your golf scores on facebook.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #26240
rbrsddn
3banger
 
rbrsddn's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Madison,CT
Oddometer: 2,457
I don't get it either, but we all have different reasons for doing things. Aurielus is just over a year from breaking his hip. Just the fact that he can get out and ride is pretty damn good. Whatever works for him, I guess.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #26241
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 5,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
The whole Strava seems a bit odd to me.

I can see both the sides being presented, but ultimately, it feels like boasting about your practice. I can't imagine ever boasting about rugby practise. "I did the longest beep test" doesn't have the same ring to it as "We won and I scored the winning try."

But it's probably worthwhile to track your progress.
Nah, it's more like rugby league vs. rugby union. I don't know *anybody* who plays rugby league, but clearly *someone* does.
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #26242
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus
 
TheNedster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Perched atop the Great Central Valley
Oddometer: 866
Re: the Niner Air 9 on the previous page. Pinch the down tube on both sides down by the BB with your thumb and forefinger. The tube will visibly give. It's a stupid light frameset.
__________________
"The V-Strom Man sits up straight and only picks his nose when he is 100% sure that no one is looking." - Uncle Larry
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #26243
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Re: the Niner Air 9 on the previous page. Pinch the down tube on both sides down by the BB with your thumb and forefinger. The tube will visibly give. It's a stupid light frameset.
so basically, the first time you blow a drop and land stupid/heavy, its going to shatter?
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #26244
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Re: the Niner Air 9 on the previous page. Pinch the down tube on both sides down by the BB with your thumb and forefinger. The tube will visibly give. It's a stupid light frameset.
That's the nature of carbon layups; thickness based on loads. For sure, that's a race machine and not for the average trail rider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
so basically, the first time you blow a drop and land stupid/heavy, its going to shatter?
Doubtful. Niner wouldn't build it, if that were the case.

A Niner Jet 9 RDO is one of the few bikes I lust after. Of course I'd take an MCR 9, too.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #26245
GP640
Beastly Adventurer
 
GP640's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: NW AB
Oddometer: 3,294
If my clydesdale butt was on that thing it would probably fail.
Remember, ultralight stuff like that is designed for a 150lb rider max.

I'm not saying it is bound to fail but it surely won't be the most durable thing for most of
us well fed types.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #26246
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus
 
TheNedster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Perched atop the Great Central Valley
Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
That's the nature of carbon layups; thickness based on loads. For sure, that's a race machine and not for the average trail rider.



Doubtful. Niner wouldn't build it, if that were the case.

A Niner Jet 9 RDO is one of the few bikes I lust after. Of course I'd take an MCR 9, too.
Agreed. I wouldn't worry a bit about it breaking when being ridden as intended (straight-up XC). OTOH, the prospect of a good, hard crash would probably cause me to lose some sleep.

On the fantasy front, I'd really like a Mooto X RSL. Pretty please.
__________________
"The V-Strom Man sits up straight and only picks his nose when he is 100% sure that no one is looking." - Uncle Larry
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:54 AM   #26247
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
The whole Strava seems a bit odd to me.

I can see both the sides being presented, but ultimately, it feels like boasting about your practice.
The reason it seems odd to you is because you've made a wholly unjustified assumption. 'Practice' for what, exactly? Practice for racing? What makes you think the average Strava user has the slightest interest in entering races? The vast majority of Strava users upload their rides for the reasons I've already listed, and it has nothing to do with being a wannabe racer. When I got involved in weight training, I kept very precise records of all my workouts. These records allowed me to plot my progress over time, to set realistic goals, to see which types of exercise routines produced the best results, and so on. None of this suggests for one minute that I entertained any thoughts about entering weight lifting competitions. Why is it so difficult for some here to understand that exactly the same considerations hold true for bicycling?
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:11 AM   #26248
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
That's the nature of carbon layups; thickness based on loads. For sure, that's a race machine and not for the average trail rider.
You could say exactly the same thing about my 16 lb Trek Madone. Yet when I performed the 'pinch test' on the frame, there was no noticeable flexing anywhere. No flexing on my other two CF frames either.

Quote:
Doubtful. Niner wouldn't build it, if that were the case.
A seemingly reasonable assumption, but one that has been repeatedly disproved. Frames do suffer structural failure, despite the best intentions of their designers. I know two local racers who have experienced multiple frame failures on their CF bikes. When they return them under warranty, they're given another frame just like it, which eventually also fails. They break in the same way and in the same locations as before, which points to a design flaw that the manufacturers, for whatever reason, have never rectified.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:17 AM   #26249
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
The reason it seems odd to you is because you've made a wholly unjustified assumption. 'Practice' for what, exactly? Practice for racing? What makes you think the average Strava user has the slightest interest in entering races? The vast majority of Strava users upload their rides for the reasons I've already listed, and it has nothing to do with being a wannabe racer. When I got involved in weight training, I kept very precise records of all my workouts. These records allowed me to plot my progress over time, to set realistic goals, to see which types of exercise routines produced the best results, and so on. None of this suggests for one minute that I entertained any thoughts about entering weight lifting competitions. Why is it so difficult for some here to understand that exactly the same considerations hold true for bicycling?
Did you publish them ?

Nobody is suggesting that keeping records is a bad thing, what people find distasteful is all this 'dick-waving' by publishing them online so you you can brag about how well you've done.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #26250
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Nah, it's more like rugby league vs. rugby union. I don't know *anybody* who plays rugby league, but clearly *someone* does.
Nowt wrong wi rugby t'league (if you are from northern England, that made perfect sense )

I'm actually more a Union man but I still enjoy League - to me, it's less skilful but boy, it's a tough game. Never played, I was a Union guy.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014