Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #26236
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

All the strava KOMs in the world don't mean diddly except for 'feel goods' and 'lookit ME!s'
Stave is the Facebook of cycling.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #26237
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
(drooling on that 18 lb hardtail last page)...

as an aside... kinda surprised the mountain folks haven't adopted internal shifting hubs like the Affine 8 and 11 speed stuff. I'd think they'd work much better in messy muddy bushcrashing kind of riding. are they too heavy? too fragile?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #26238
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,854
The whole Strava seems a bit odd to me.

I can see both the sides being presented, but ultimately, it feels like boasting about your practice. I can't imagine ever boasting about rugby practise. "I did the longest beep test" doesn't have the same ring to it as "We won and I scored the winning try."

But it's probably worthwhile to track your progress.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #26239
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post

I can see both the sides being presented, but ultimately, it feels like boasting about your practice. I can't imagine ever boasting about rugby practise. "I did the longest beep test" doesn't have the same ring to it as "We won and I scored the winning try."

to me, its about like those bumper stickers "MY STUDENT IS AN HONOR ROLL STUDENT AT ______ MIDDLE SCHOOL". or posting your golf scores on facebook.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #26240
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,457
I don't get it either, but we all have different reasons for doing things. Aurielus is just over a year from breaking his hip. Just the fact that he can get out and ride is pretty damn good. Whatever works for him, I guess.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #26241
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,152
Quote:

Nah, it's more like rugby league vs. rugby union. I don't know *anybody* who plays rugby league, but clearly *someone* does.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #26242
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 866
Re: the Niner Air 9 on the previous page. Pinch the down tube on both sides down by the BB with your thumb and forefinger. The tube will visibly give. It's a stupid light frameset.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #26243
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Re: the Niner Air 9 on the previous page. Pinch the down tube on both sides down by the BB with your thumb and forefinger. The tube will visibly give. It's a stupid light frameset.
so basically, the first time you blow a drop and land stupid/heavy, its going to shatter?
Old 11-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #26244
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
That's the nature of carbon layups; thickness based on loads. For sure, that's a race machine and not for the average trail rider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
so basically, the first time you blow a drop and land stupid/heavy, its going to shatter?
Doubtful. Niner wouldn't build it, if that were the case.

A Niner Jet 9 RDO is one of the few bikes I lust after. Of course I'd take an MCR 9, too.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #26245
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,294
If my clydesdale butt was on that thing it would probably fail.
Remember, ultralight stuff like that is designed for a 150lb rider max.

I'm not saying it is bound to fail but it surely won't be the most durable thing for most of
us well fed types.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #26246
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
That's the nature of carbon layups; thickness based on loads. For sure, that's a race machine and not for the average trail rider.

A Niner Jet 9 RDO is one of the few bikes I lust after. Of course I'd take an MCR 9, too.
Agreed. I wouldn't worry a bit about it breaking when being ridden as intended (straight-up XC). OTOH, the prospect of a good, hard crash would probably cause me to lose some sleep.

On the fantasy front, I'd really like a Mooto X RSL. Pretty please.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:54 AM   #26247
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:

I can see both the sides being presented, but ultimately, it feels like boasting about your practice.
The reason it seems odd to you is because you've made a wholly unjustified assumption. 'Practice' for what, exactly? Practice for racing? What makes you think the average Strava user has the slightest interest in entering races? The vast majority of Strava users upload their rides for the reasons I've already listed, and it has nothing to do with being a wannabe racer. When I got involved in weight training, I kept very precise records of all my workouts. These records allowed me to plot my progress over time, to set realistic goals, to see which types of exercise routines produced the best results, and so on. None of this suggests for one minute that I entertained any thoughts about entering weight lifting competitions. Why is it so difficult for some here to understand that exactly the same considerations hold true for bicycling?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:11 AM   #26248
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
You could say exactly the same thing about my 16 lb Trek Madone. Yet when I performed the 'pinch test' on the frame, there was no noticeable flexing anywhere. No flexing on my other two CF frames either.

Quote:
A seemingly reasonable assumption, but one that has been repeatedly disproved. Frames do suffer structural failure, despite the best intentions of their designers. I know two local racers who have experienced multiple frame failures on their CF bikes. When they return them under warranty, they're given another frame just like it, which eventually also fails. They break in the same way and in the same locations as before, which points to a design flaw that the manufacturers, for whatever reason, have never rectified.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:17 AM   #26249
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
The reason it seems odd to you is because you've made a wholly unjustified assumption. 'Practice' for what, exactly? Practice for racing? What makes you think the average Strava user has the slightest interest in entering races? The vast majority of Strava users upload their rides for the reasons I've already listed, and it has nothing to do with being a wannabe racer. When I got involved in weight training, I kept very precise records of all my workouts. These records allowed me to plot my progress over time, to set realistic goals, to see which types of exercise routines produced the best results, and so on. None of this suggests for one minute that I entertained any thoughts about entering weight lifting competitions. Why is it so difficult for some here to understand that exactly the same considerations hold true for bicycling?
Did you publish them ?

Nobody is suggesting that keeping records is a bad thing, what people find distasteful is all this 'dick-waving' by publishing them online so you you can brag about how well you've done.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #26250
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Nah, it's more like rugby league vs. rugby union. I don't know *anybody* who plays rugby league, but clearly *someone* does.
Nowt wrong wi rugby t'league (if you are from northern England, that made perfect sense )

I'm actually more a Union man but I still enjoy League - to me, it's less skilful but boy, it's a tough game. Never played, I was a Union guy.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: