User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 05:27 AM   #26251
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,843
I'm not gonna jump back in.... I'm not gonna jump back in...

...but I AM going to go ride some gravel here in about an hour. Buddy of mine keeps wanting to go out too effing early. Wait a bit and it won't be so bloody cold!

M
Old 11-29-2012, 05:54 AM   #26252
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Did you publish them ?

Nobody is suggesting that keeping records is a bad thing, what people find distasteful is all this 'dick-waving' by publishing them online so you you can brag about how well you've done.
Was that intended as a serious question? Because I shouldn't have to point out that in weight training, you can't simply pin an electronic device to yourself to keep the kinds of records weight trainers use. If anything comparable to Strava had existed for weight trainers, I would have gladly used it rather than going to the trouble of keeping records on paper.

Now on to your second contention. Maybe you'd care to explain to me why simply uploading your Strava results constitutes 'dick waving'. You do know that leader boards contain the listings of hundreds of riders for a given segment, right? If you understand that much, you can appreciate the absurdity in claiming that the guys who are not in the top ten are engaging in 'dick waving'. Unless of course you think the guy in 300th or 400th place posted those results in order to brag about them. So, suppose your criticism is aimed only at those who are in the top ten. Let's be generous and grant your groundless assumption that these riders posted their results so they can brag about them. It's an irrational assumption, but since your entire objection seems to hang on this point, we'll assume for the sake of argument that it's true. My reply would be, so what? Do you find it equally objectionable when racers post their first place finishes? What exactly is wrong with taking pride in being at or near the top in some personal endeavor? I notice that quite a few people on this forum post information about some marathon ride they've just completed, and that others aren't shy about congratulating them on their accomplishment. Does this offend you as well?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:32 AM   #26253
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Agreed. I wouldn't worry a bit about it breaking when being ridden as intended (straight-up XC). OTOH, the prospect of a good, hard crash would probably cause me to lose some sleep.
Crash-ability is exactly why I've never even considered CF, for a MTB. I can deal with scratches and dings, but, not the prospect of sending a CF frameset to Calfee, or somebody, for repairs/inspection. It seems like every crash I have is in rocks, which always result in some sort of new damage. Despite this video, I still can't accept it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
You could say exactly the same thing about my 16 lb Trek Madone. Yet when I performed the 'pinch test' on the frame, there was no noticeable flexing anywhere. No flexing on my other two CF frames either.
I've yet to see a CF toptube that didn't compress upon pinching. Furthermore, tube shape has a lot to do with the ability to do that; flat-sided shapes are more susceptible to it.

Quote:
A seemingly reasonable assumption, but one that has been repeatedly disproved. Frames do suffer structural failure, despite the best intentions of their designers. I know two local racers who have experienced multiple frame failures on their CF bikes. When they return them under warranty, they're given another frame just like it, which eventually also fails. They break in the same way and in the same locations as before, which points to a design flaw that the manufacturers, for whatever reason, have never rectified.
There are always going to be some model, from some manufacturer, that is going to have a structural issue (Gary Fisher Hi-Mod is an example). However, knowing the reputation of Niner (a small, dedicated company), that's highly unlikely, with their stuff. If you do have a problem, they take care of it directly. Furthermore, if you're out of the norm (clydesdale, lightweight, disproportianate, bomber, etc), it'd make sense to contact a manufacturer, before one's purchase. Despite looking similar, many manufacturers have models that are better suited to one's needs.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:32 AM   #26254
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Yes dad.

M
Ah well..... I tried.
Dad just doesn't carry the same weight these days I guess.

Carry on.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #26255
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,148
Quote:
Did you publish them ?
http://bodyforlife.com/community

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

http://www.board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

No, please, do go on.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #26256
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,855
Quote:
Was that intended as a serious question? Because I shouldn't have to point out that in weight training, you can't simply pin an electronic device to yourself to keep the kinds of records weight trainers use. If anything comparable to Strava had existed for weight trainers, I would have gladly used it rather than going to the trouble of keeping records on paper.

Now on to your second contention. Maybe you'd care to explain to me why simply uploading your Strava results constitutes 'dick waving'. You do know that leader boards contain the listings of hundreds of riders for a given segment, right? If you understand that much, you can appreciate the absurdity in claiming that the guys who are not in the top ten are engaging in 'dick waving'. Unless of course you think the guy in 300th or 400th place posted those results in order to brag about them. So, suppose your criticism is aimed only at those who are in the top ten. Let's be generous and grant your groundless assumption that these riders posted their results so they can brag about them. It's an irrational assumption, but since your entire objection seems to hang on this point, we'll assume for the sake of argument that it's true. My reply would be, so what? Do you find it equally objectionable when racers post their first place finishes? What exactly is wrong with taking pride in being at or near the top in some personal endeavor? I notice that quite a few people on this forum post information about some marathon ride they've just completed, and that others aren't shy about congratulating them on their accomplishment. Does this offend you as well?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #26257
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

And

All that proves is there are 'dick-wavers' in any sport. I guess in this case, if they are juicing, tiny dick-wavers...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 11-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #26258
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Generalize much?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #26259
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Generalize much?
I'm done
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 11-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #26260
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I've yet to see a CF toptube that didn't compress upon pinching. Furthermore, tube shape has a lot to do with the ability to do that; flat-sided shapes are more susceptible to it.
That's even stranger, because the top tube has to cope with compression forces coming from both ends, so the last thing an engineer would want is to flatten its cross-section, which would only make it that much more susceptible to buckling. I sometimes ride with a bike shop owner who happens to be the Niner dealer in my area, and I've seen just that kind of top tube failure on his CF bike. That one was a Scott HT though. He now rides a FS Niner. On his last ride, the CF seat post broke in two.

Quote:
There are always going to be some model, from some manufacturer, that is going to have a structural issue (Gary Fisher Hi-Mod is an example). However, knowing the reputation of Niner (a small, dedicated company), that's highly unlikely, with their stuff.
Everything these days is designed and load tested by computer, using sophisticated software like Pro-E, Solidworks, Catia, etc. So I don't see why a small company would be turning out better engineered products than industry giants like Trek. Especially since the big companies have a lot more resources to enlist during development and testing.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #26261
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm done
You were done before you started.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #26262
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
You were done before you started.
Nope.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 11-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #26263
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Yeah you're done alright.

Go ahead, get that last word in.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #26264
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Yeah you're done alright.

Go ahead, get that last word in.
In
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 11-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #26265
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm done

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: