User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #26281
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,836
Welcome Zouch. Some of your sonnet sounds somewhat familiar. When I got into cycling, banana-seat Schwinn Stingrays were all the rage but my parents were having none of that. Instead, I got a 10-speed called a "Londoneer" that was purchased from a department store in Birmingham.

They also demanded that we use the safety flags that was purchased with the bike. OK - that wasn't quite the cool image that I had in mind but...it'll do. It had to. From that point on, it wasn't unusual for someone to tell my father that I had been spotted a county away from ours. It was that damn little orange safety flag.

Many times, I'd con a friend or a cousin into going for a ride with me. We visited Gilbert SC and one cousin said that riding to their lake house over on Lake Murray would be "easy" for him. I beat him home by a full hour - another 15 minutes and my uncle was ready to look for him. Another guy decided to ride to Payne Lake with us - yeah, it was painful for him. Both of these guys talk about the rides to this day.

Touring bikes? Yep - Hill Country, Glacier to Yellowstone, north GA into the Smokies and back and a few weekenders in between. I posted some pictures of my favorite brand a page or two back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch
yes, a touring bike. i don't know if there's anything in bicycling less cool to cyclists than the touring bike
Except a recumbent. I guess my parents turned me into something of anti-anything-popular since now, I ride a recumbent. It's either their fault or give up cycling due to neck issues. Well, to hell with what people think. Our local club riders don't bother with the jokes anymore. I think I'm a pretty competent rider, fast on occasion and can even go pretty far by most standards. It's all good!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #26282
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 1,003
Nothing puts a stupid shit eatin' grin on your face like a recumbent trike. Coasting down the canyon almost 40 mph on studded tires included.
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #26283
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,820
Humph

M
Old 12-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #26284
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812 View Post
Nothing puts a stupid shit eatin' grin on your face like a recumbent trike. Coasting down the canyon almost 40 mph on studded tires included.
I'm secure enough in my cycling identity to admit that my inner Contraption Captain really wants a recumbent tadpole trike.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #26285
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
... i had one of the best bikes of its kind at the time; a Trek 728.
[old fogey mode]
yes, some of you kiddies may not know, but back in the early days before they became something ugly, Trek actually hand-built bikes using low-temperature silver brazing and 531 tubes and other things that were worthy of drool of the day...
[/old fogey mode]
hey, they made frames-only even b efore that. my 22 yr old son's bike, a Trek TX300 frame from 1977, hand brazed lugged frame made with Ishiwata tubing, that was populated with a mix of Shimano 600 and newer stuff. the paint isn't original, and the decal is wrong. I've since replaced the crankset with a 53:39 older Ultegra

Old 12-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #26286
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812 View Post
I hit 43 without really pushing it on a hill this past Saturday - it's all aero.

One cyclist, a friend, caught up with me at the regroup point and said I looked like a bobsled going down the hill. Next time, I think I'll whip out the GEICO pig ....."wwweeee wwwweee wwwweeeeeeeeeeeeee"

Old 12-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #26287
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I hit 43 without really pushing it on a hill this past Saturday - it's all aero.

One cyclist, a friend, caught up with me at the regroup point and said I looked like a bobsled going down the hill. Next time, I think I'll whip out the GEICO pig ....."wwweeee wwwweee wwwweeeeeeeeeeeeee"

My max speed this year was 46.1 down this long hill on our Saturday route. You start feeling pretty vulnerable with no gear... I wonder how fast those recumbents can go...
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #26288
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
My max speed this year was 46.1 down this long hill on our Saturday route. You start feeling pretty vulnerable with no gear... I wonder how fast those recumbents can go...
They HAUL downhill. I was following a car down a twisty bit a couple years ago during a large organized century. We were doing just under 35mph, which is where I spin out on a 50-11 gear. A greybeard on a 'bent passed us both over the double-yellow on the outside of a right-hand corner.

YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #26289
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
A greybeard on a 'bent passed us both over the double-yellow on the outside of a right-hand corner.

Was he sportin' an aero-belly too?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #26290
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Was he sportin' an aero-belly too?

Not really. We were pacing each other between a couple of SAG stops. Nice guy. HUGE descending cajones.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #26291
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post

Not really. We were pacing each other between a couple of SAG stops. Nice guy. HUGE descending cajones.
That's the knock on recumbent riders - gray beard, aero-belly, black socks and a bicycle flag. I'm one out of four.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #26292
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
My max speed this year was 46.1 down this long hill on our Saturday route. You start feeling pretty vulnerable with no gear...
I hit 53mph, on my TT bike, once. "No gear" was all I could think.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #26293
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Because I know you guys like nice stuff.

ducnut screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 05:09 PM
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #26294
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Not my taste but nice just the same. I can't imagine the time it took to make those lugs.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #26295
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,828
I got pretty good at the old tuck and go deal on the big hills in Colorado. My added girth has not diminished that capability at all, possibly even serving to enhance my prowess in that regard. I hit 59 on my Roubaix coming back down off Pacific Coast last fall.
Back in the day, the Pinarello and I would manage a fairly regular 60 mph descending many of the mountain roads I'd ridden back then Mt Evans highway, pieces of the Morgul-Bismark, Pretty much all the canyons other than the flatter ones. Now, though, that same thought pops into my head.
Back in the day we used to draft cars and trucks down Boulder Canyon for the easy tow back to town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I hit 53mph, on my TT bike, once. "No gear" was all I could think.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: