Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 155 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #26551
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Last nite was a case in point. Former pro and another buddy were up chatting away going up the hills I couldn't see as I'm behind em huffing and puffing like a steam engine that couldn't. Last week it was the same former pro and a current Cat 1 chatting away. One of these days...

M
Going up Mt Mansfield, VT. Working at it, but, not killin' myself. Two matching-kitted women ride by me carrying on a casual conversation and laughing. I know the feeling.
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #26552
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Going up Mt Mansfield, VT. Working at it, but, not killin' myself. Two matching-kitted women ride by me carrying on a casual conversation and laughing. I know the feeling.
Give me a nice sprint or the banking on the track and I'm a happy camper. Hills? 4-letter word.

M
Old 12-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #26553
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,478
Quote:
First duathlon of the season in Missouri. I get passed on the first run portion by a SEVENTY YEAR OLD. I turn on the burners, pass him and keep him passed.

....and he passes me again in the biking portion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #26554
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,383
Beware old age and treachery. There, be dragons there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
First duathlon of the season in Missouri. I get passed on the first run portion by a SEVENTY YEAR OLD. I turn on the burners, pass him and keep him passed.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #26555
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Beware old age and treachery. There, be dragons there.
I was on a climb last summer and some old fart who looks just like you passed me like I was going backwards. Every time you post a pic of yourself (which happens a lot in this thread), I have bad flashbacks.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #26556
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,368
I ride regularly with guys in their 60's, who leave me for dead on climbs... It probably helps that they weigh 150, and I'm 175. Not much I can do but pace myself. It evens out a bit on the flats!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #26557
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Yeah, and I *should* race the Cat 4 cross races, but I don't. I typically ride with the 1s and 2s and get my ass handed to me.

Last nite was a case in point. Former pro and another buddy were up chatting away going up the hills I couldn't see as I'm behind em huffing and puffing like a steam engine that couldn't. Last week it was the same former pro and a current Cat 1 chatting away. One of these days...

M

I hate that. The other week I was killing myself to keep up to a couple of the hardcore. The bastards were chatting about movies they've seen while I saw colours through crossed eyes.

Between gasps I told them to have some respect to those who are suffering.....They laughed and dropped me.

Bastards
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #26558
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Been developing a night Cyclocross route around town. Hit some of the local walking trails, the golf course (cart path only of course). Some hills and try to say off the highway as much as I can.

It turns out to be a laugh! Takes just under two hours of pretty hard riding...I like it.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #26559
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
Been developing a night Cyclocross route around town. Hit some of the local walking trails, the golf course (cart path only of course). Some hills and try to say off the highway as much as I can.

It turns out to be a laugh! Takes just under two hours of pretty hard riding...I like it.

That's a lot of scouting and routing! I would've figured it'd be really cold and snowy, up there, right now.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #26560
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,001
chainlines...

so, my Globe Vienna... this is a 700C 3x8 geared budget hybrid, quite similar to the low end Specialized Sirrus... I replaced the crankset from the original Shimano M191 (low end 28-38-48 welded stamped steel chainrings) with an Origin8 Trekking Pro (mostly for looks and the longer 175mm crank arms, but its also lighter, and I was hoping the alloy sprockets would be quieter than the steel ones on the M191)...

darn thing is sitting nearly 1cm farther from the frame than the stock one, grrr. had to readjust my front derailleur to its outer limit of travel to get onto the big ring and be quiet in all but the biggest rear sprockets. meh.

The middle ring is about in line with the 2nd smallest rear on the 8 speed rear cluster. MEH!

with the O8, I'm measuring the frame centerline to middle sprocket teeth as 54mm. I didn't measure the M191 before I took it off. I also didn't measure the BB length, I've swapped around a fair number of front sprockets in the past without having problems like this.

anyone know offhand what the 'standard' chainline offset is for a 700c hybrid with a 3x8 mountain style gearset?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #26561
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Quote:
That's a lot of scouting and routing! I would've figured it'd be really cold and snowy, up there, right now.
Too close to the ocean, we get snow every now and again, but the rain takes it away pretty quickly.

We do get rain though, more than any other community in the country.

Last nights adventure was in light drizzle and 4c, in the dark (which it is now at around 4pm). I"m going to be ready for spring though, no more sand getting kicked in my face!!!!
Old 12-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #26562
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
Too close to the ocean, we get snow every now and again, but the rain takes it away pretty quickly.

We do get rain though, more than any other community in the country.

Last nights adventure was in light drizzle and 4c, in the dark (which it is now at around 4pm). I"m going to be ready for spring though, no more sand getting kicked in my face!!!!
I've heard the same thing about Juneau, AK. Is that true?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #26563
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Quote:
I've heard the same thing about Juneau, AK. Is that true?
Yeah, the ocean makes the climate very temperate. Doesn’t get hot in the summer, doesn’t get cold in the winter, rains a lot.
From here if you drive East an hour and a half into the mountains it’s full on winter madness, just like Alaska. It’s not until you get North, like way North, that the sea ice forms and the moderating effects of the ocean are gone.

The advantage is that if you're hard enough you can train on the bike almost year around. I do have a turbo trainer for those really nasty days, or when we do get snow.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #26564
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,452
@Pierce: the shop where you got the new crankset should be able to tell you what length spindle you need. Its obviously shorter than what's on there.

M
Old 12-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #26565
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post

My ass. It's handed to me every spring in the 4-mile run section of the spring off-road duathlon here. I'm passed by clydesdales. 5-foot tall women. Children. Leaves a lot of work to pass them all during the 18-mile single-track bike section (near-my-home trails that I ride in the dark/snow). I've won the bike leg, but never the race.

Oh, also, here's some US cross pro nonsense, mercifully short:

http://youtu.be/PpqW1yDX6EU

(embed fail)
Schnickelfritz is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: