Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 316 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #26926
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
got off my lazy couch dwelling arse and got in an hour on the fixed gear yesterday. Not bad at all even pushing 80 gear inches.
I've got sad news: the track project in DC is on hold. Evidently the city doesn't want to cough up their part of the $ for the land the track, a skate park, tennis courts, and b-ball courts are supposed to go on.

Not that that affects but a few of us, but the thought of a FG brought it back to mind. I'm gonna stop looking for a D/A small-flange rear hub.

M
Old 01-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #26927
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,307
Thumb My best ride yet

This Saturday I decided to put my new found climbing skills to the test, and took another run at the dreaded John Brown trail at Santos. My first effort six months ago was an unmitigated disaster, and I ended up having to walk half the trail. This time I expected to only do slightly better, but to my complete amazement, I managed to make it all the way through, having to put a foot down only occasionally at the beginning. I pedaled up steep, treacherous hills that not long ago I would have considered impossible climbs, or just too dangerous to even attempt. The worst climb is the last one near the highest point of the trail. After that, it's pretty much all down hill. What made that last climb particularly difficult is that it's a long one, and it starts right after a hairpin left-hander, so you can't get a running start like you can on the others. Big roots snake across the trail from both sides, forcing you to steer around them to avoid getting your wheels stuck. It took me three tries to conquer it, switching to a lower gear on each successive attempt. I finally made it with one low gear to spare, and with my rear tire fighting for traction all the way up. The way down was no picnic either. There were steep descents where it was more like controlled sliding rather than riding. It wasn't pretty, but I made it without any dabs. Words can't express the exhilaration that I felt when the green sign at the end of the trail finally came into view. Once out, I just sat there for a few minutes replaying the entire experience in my mind and savoring every second of it.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:30 AM   #26928
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I've got sad news: the track project in DC is on hold. Evidently the city doesn't want to cough up their part of the $ for the land the track, a skate park, tennis courts, and b-ball courts are supposed to go on.

Not that that affects but a few of us, but the thought of a FG brought it back to mind. I'm gonna stop looking for a D/A small-flange rear hub.

M

Yea been real lazy lately. Drew me a 16 mile loop in San Francisco with google maps and rode that Saturday on the TDF bike, turned out to be a good ride ! After that I brought the fixed gear in from the shed and got her road ready for Sunday. Needed to get out in the world for a change of pace. Was refreshing even though it was 79 .
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #26929
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
It was 23F on the way to the first century of the year and never got over 50. I started at 8:30 and was back at the car at 2:35.

I have to share this. I was riding with another rider and we were cruising along at 17-18 when a group went by at 24 or so. That's too fast for me at 100 miles but I jumped on with another group who was moving around 20. One of the guys in the group only had one leg and apparently, only one good hand. He had no trouble keeping up although as you can imagine, his peddling was a little jerky.

We stopped for lunch at the 70 mile point and the group started off again. This starts with a slight but steady 6 mile grade. I was pretty wel toast as were a few others. I caught several of them over the next 20 miles but about 6 miles from the end, I rode by the one-legged rider who was sitting off the side of the road trying to change a flat. I yelled to ask it he needed help and he said he didn't but I turned the cranks twice....and turned around.

I didn't do much more than offer help. He was struggling but I was worried about insulting him. He managed ok with on good hand but I helped a bit by using my pump to top off his pressure. Next time you have a front flat, try to stand on one leg and balance everything while putting the wheel back on the bike. That cost me 10 minutes but it was worth it.

So glad to soak in the tub when I got home....and warm up!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #26930
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Words can't express the exhilaration that I felt when the green sign at the end of the trail finally came into view. Once out, I just sat there for a few minutes replaying the entire experience in my mind and savoring every second of it.
So, do you still feel difficult trails are not worth riding?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #26931
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
So, do you still feel difficult trails are not worth riding?
Maybe just once.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #26932
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 389
Melted Tar

Did not get to see my mum this past Christmas holiday. First time in 22 years.

Went to work some 140km from where she lives last Friday and carried the bicycle along. Meeting over in good time and I made it to her place.

Next morning, ride from Calabar to Akamkpa, some decent hills at last.

Met this accident spot at 35km out. A petrol truck fully loaded went off the road and turned over, it was avoiding a swerving car or something. Tank had multiple holes and petrol was gushing out. The people nearby took off (they have experience of such). Some chap decided to rescue his car parked close by, cue ignition, big bang and several houses and cars burnt.

From advinmatepost

The tar on the road was melted in patches and the vegetation across the road burnt off.

Sad.

Did 82km.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #26933
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

That don't look/sound good!

On a safer note: I swapped out a sloppy silver Rival rear derailleur for a new, tight black Rival rear derailleur on the QA just now.

I'm over the way my QA and FTB are fitting. #s say they're similar, but they feel completely different!

M
Old 01-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #26934
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I managed to get out 3 times last week - it was cold but sunny most of those rides. I really wanted to get out this past weekend and they said it was going to quite nice but it was too wet for my liking - I did get out on the XR thought...

I have finally figured out the cold toes issue - heat packs. I put one on top of toes on each foot and it works a treat and when I get back, I put them in a ziploc bag and they stop generating heat.

I haven't had to use the chemical warmers yet this year, but they really work well down into the teens, with good shoes /booties. Good idea on the ziploc.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:21 AM   #26935
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Just agreed to buy an 09 Giant TCR Advanced SL F/F/HS (with seatmast) for $700. Gotta love it when people are nice to the un(der)employed.

(but now I gotta come up with the $$! )

M
Old 01-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #26936
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,988
I've been homologated....

From here, it was a special feeling that I didn't expect.

For those who have never been homologated, it means, "to approve or confirm officially." not.....you know.

Now, if I can just get them to change my location from Canada to Estados Unidos.....
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #26937
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
From here, it was a special feeling that I didn't expect.

For those who have never been homologated, it means, "to approve or confirm officially." not.....you know.

Now, if I can just get them to change my location from Canada to Estados Unidos.....
Zat mean you don't have to do any more P-B-P qualifiers if you want to go?

I just got back from 2ish hrs on the bike. 40 deg and drizzly/rainy. I kept wondering WhyTF my toes were chilly. ...then I got home and peeled off my booties (and the rest of my riding stuff) and found everything outside my base layer was soaked! :eek Aaaah that'll do it! I feel very Belgian.

Fenders are a doG-send.

M
Old 01-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #26938
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,988
Quote:
Zat mean you don't have to do any more P-B-P qualifiers if you want to go?
I know that for most 1200's, I don't need to qualify for that year if I did one in the prior year. I have no idea about PBP though.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #26939
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Next windmill to tilt at:

Wool, mesh, base layer. I love my Garneau mesh base layer. I can only imagine that making it wool would be mo bettah.

German ebay has em for 30EUR but my German's so rusty I can't figure out if they'll ship here. Nor do I know if that's a good price or not.

M
Old 01-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #26940
HappyRiding
Grumpy

Oddometer: 3,187
Quote:
Next windmill to tilt at:

Wool, mesh, base layer. I love my Garneau mesh base layer. I can only imagine that making it wool would be mo bettah.

German ebay has em for 30EUR but my German's so rusty I can't figure out if they'll ship here. Nor do I know if that's a good price or not.

M
Ask Cuttle. She can translate it for ya.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: