User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 236 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #26956
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,015
every Phil Wood part I've ever seen has the cursive "Phil" logo etched or stamped into it
Old 01-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #26957
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
every Phil Wood part I've ever seen has the cursive "Phil" logo etched or stamped into it
I have never seen them without a logo either. Most high end hubs have a stamp or etching, so this ones puzzling me.

Found it! It's an American Classic! Thanks guys!

http://www.bikepro.com/products/hubs...american.shtml

Omi screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 10:46 PM
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #26958
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,427
29er advice

hey all, been looking at getting a 29er to replace my 25? year old rockhopper. sorry, but I don't want to spend more than 650 bucks, period, so don't suggest bikes that cost 750, 850,etc. My racing days were over long ago, I simply want a bike to ride some local single track and enjoy the woods. lots of roots/rocks in my area, that's why I'm interested in the 29ers, just time to try something different. my local bike shop sells Giant, and gives some good discounts. I've also looked at trek, diamondback and some others I can't remember at some other shops.
SO, if you had 650 bucks, what would you buy?
thanks in advance for any advice.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #26959
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
hey all, been looking at getting a 29er to replace my 25? year old rockhopper. sorry, but I don't want to spend more than 650 bucks, period, so don't suggest bikes that cost 750, 850,etc. My racing days were over long ago, I simply want a bike to ride some local single track and enjoy the woods. lots of roots/rocks in my area, that's why I'm interested in the 29ers, just time to try something different. my local bike shop sells Giant, and gives some good discounts. I've also looked at trek, diamondback and some others I can't remember at some other shops.
at the $650 point for new, don't even THINK of getting anything with full suspension, and the front forks will be pretty lame.

I was drooling on pictures of the Surly Ogre last night, and its a no-suspension 29er, with a $1500 MSRP. Mostly Deore running bits, Avid mechanical disk brakes, wheels strong enough to take some abuse.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #26960
bikerfish
flyfishandride

oh yeah, no rear suspension, and i'm sure the front will be a sponge, but I can upgrade that later if needed. like I said, I'm not agressive anymore, no jumps! where was all this technology back in the 80's?!!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #26961
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,857
Quote:
Used.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #26962
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
oh yeah, no rear suspension, and i'm sure the front will be a sponge, but I can upgrade that later if needed. like I said, I'm not agressive anymore, no jumps! where was all this technology back in the 80's?!!
back in the 80s? this was a mountain bike!

IIRC, that was somewhat under $400 new in late 1983. the fenders are from 1985 or so.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #26963
bikerfish
flyfishandride

yeah, I know, still have one!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #26964
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,126
I just ordered a Surly Troll frameset from this great little bike shop Velorution Cycles. My full suspension bike is fun, it's just not for me. I love cro-moly. I don't race and plan on getting back into bikepacking, especially living right at the beginning of the Colorado Trail. Unfortunately, it's on backorder for a month or so.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #26965
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
yeah, I know, still have one!
well, Rockhoppers came out later, mine is a 1st year Stumpjumper Sport. I had TWO of them, a small frame one for my 5'2" wife, but that small one disappeared at a music festival two years ago (only thing we've EVER had stolen in 20+ years of going to this festival). really odd they took the small old stumpie as their were much nicer/newer bikes parked right near it.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #26966
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omi View Post
I just ordered a Surly Troll frameset from this great little bike shop Velorution Cycles. My full suspension bike is fun, it's just not for me. I love cro-moly. I don't race and plan on getting back into bikepacking, especially living right at the beginning of the Colorado Trail. Unfortunately, it's on backorder for a month or so.
why the 26" Troll and not the 29er/700c Ogre ?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #26967
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
If you want to go new... I bought a Trek Marlin this past summer, and so far I really like it. Paid 670 I think after taxes. It is much better than the WalMart bikes I have had in the past. That said, I have never ridden anything better than my Marlin, so I do not know how good bikes can be. So, like I said, the Trek Marlin seems good enough to me. One thing though, at this price do not expect the bike to be light, the Marlin is 31 pounds!

Otherwise, look for a gently used bike of whatever flavor you want. I am sure you can find something mid-top of the line for not much money on Craigslist or the local pawn shops.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #26968
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,648
I picked up an Ogre frameset for my wife for my winter project ..... It is a cool frame.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #26969
mtndragon
Traveler

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
As others have said, at $650, I would think about used or perhaps a 29er from Bikes Direct. Patience and prudent shopping will be key at that pricepoint for a 29er if you'd like to maximize what you can get. I'd be tempted to look at a fully rigid 29er and then pick up a front fork down the line when funds permit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
I picked up an Ogre frameset for my wife for my winter project ..... It is a cool frame.
I am almost done my Ogre build, and I am really falling for this bike and it's not even done yet. Cranks and bottom bracket arrive soon, and hopefully I can post a picture here next week of my new commuter Ogre...
Old 01-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #26970
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtndragon View Post
I am almost done my Ogre build, and I am really falling for this bike and it's not even done yet. Cranks and bottom bracket arrive soon, and hopefully I can post a picture here next week of my new commuter Ogre...
If I didn't have a gen 1 Fargo I just picked up, I would have one also. They are SWEET!
mud is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: