Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 238 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #26971
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
why the 26" Troll and not the 29er/700c Ogre ?
I have 3 or 4 build kits already, all 26''. Cant really afford to rebuild all the wheel sets, new tires, suspension forks, etc. One of the main reasons I chose the Troll is because of the many build options, from a single speed to gears and drop bars and everything in-between.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #26972
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
It was sunny and 70 degrees today (yay climate change!), so I got out for 23 mi. on the MTB after work this afternoon. The legs felt like poo and never really got any better. Also, the trails down by the creeks and river were stupid muddy, making for some slow going. Still, it was way better than working, or pretty much anything else for that matter.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:09 AM   #26973
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omi View Post
I have never seen them without a logo either. Most high end hubs have a stamp or etching, so this ones puzzling me.

Found it! It's an American Classic! Thanks guys!

http://www.bikepro.com/products/hubs...american.shtml
As an added bonus, AC makes (made) a track axle kit for those hubs. Turn it into a SS/FH in one swell foop. AMHIK

M
Old 01-18-2013, 06:27 AM   #26974
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,899
I never knew about the Ogre frame. Thanks guys!
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #26975
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,428
just a quick question, seems alot of the bikes I'm looking at in my price range have the same frame, or at least the same design? I'm thinking they are all coming out of the same factory in china and just getting different stickers slapped on them. I'm not saying that is always a bad thing, since I'm not gonna shell out thousands for something without an engine, just that they all do look VERY similar.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #26976
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
just a quick question, seems alot of the bikes I'm looking at in my price range have the same frame, or at least the same design? I'm thinking they are all coming out of the same factory in china and just getting different stickers slapped on them. I'm not saying that is always a bad thing, since I'm not gonna shell out thousands for something without an engine, just that they all do look VERY similar.
That's exactly what happens...

http://inrng.com/2012/02/who-made-your-bike/
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #26977
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
on the flip side of that, I was reading, a company like Specialized, there's a whole series of bikes that /look/ like the same frame with different grade components but in fact, they send the design specs to 3-4 different frame makers in asia, then the one that comes back the nicest goes into the Comp, then the middle one to the Elite, and the uglier one to the base model. so all three models have the same frame DESIGN, but different makers with different levels of quality control to hit different price points.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #26978
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
on the flip side of that, I was reading, a company like Specialized, there's a whole series of bikes that /look/ like the same frame with different grade components but in fact, they send the design specs to 3-4 different frame makers in asia, then the one that comes back the nicest goes into the Comp, then the middle one to the Elite, and the uglier one to the base model. so all three models have the same frame DESIGN, but different makers with different levels of quality control to hit different price points.
Any chance you could dig up a link? I'd love to check that out. (Makes sense from an economic standpoint as well.)
Old 01-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #26979
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Any chance you could dig up a link? I'd love to check that out. (Makes sense from an economic standpoint as well.)
I don't recall where I read it.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #26980
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
http://cyclingiq.com/2012/02/14/shad...rtner-paradox/
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #26981
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Thanks!

That led me to the Vertical Limit series at the same site and way more than I ever needed to know about bike manufacturing and marketing.

http://cyclingiq.com/2011/11/03/vert...nder-pressure/
Old 01-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #26982
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,691
Just got back from 4ish hours on the bike. Flat. No headwind. Nope. None at all.

...and if you believe that, I've got this great bridge!

I'm tired.

M
Old 01-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #26983
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
If you're looking at a bike at the "thousands" price point, what are you looking at?
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #26984
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,952
Spent 3 hours on the mtb trails today... with a Stihl chainsaw. Lugging that think around was like . Now I feel like . An external frame pack would have come in handy. Forearms and shoulders are shot.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:34 AM   #26985
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Spent 3 hours on the mtb trails today... with a Stihl chainsaw. Lugging that think around was like . Now I feel like . An external frame pack would have come in handy. Forearms and shoulders are shot.
There's a backpack out there that has a chainsaw holder built into it. The brand slips me, at the moment.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: