Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 505 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #27106
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by championsound View Post
And FWIW, steel is always going to be a winner in my book, especially Tange Prestige and OX Platinum.
True. I love my Tange Soma Juice 29er. Will never sell it. Just picked up a 1st gen Vassago Bandersnatch as a new, leftover that I'm going to build up as a geared 29er.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #27107
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,828
I was confused they aluminum frame I had experience with is the Klien. There is only one reason to build a bicycle freame from 6061; it's easy to weld. Then heat treating it to T6 does nothing for it's fatigue. In fact 6061 has none to speak of. That's why it is not used anywhere that may be an issue. We fly mostly 7075, and a few other high buck blends.
There was a womens team that had Specialized Allez, that were aluminum. THey liked them a lot. I rode one, and it felt better than the Elan, but by then my heart had been stolen forever by that ugly Italian supermodel; Pinarello.
A friend bought an Allez on sale. He liked it and I bet he still has it.
The Elan I rode was spongy and it was a small from on my and I was light back then. My first Italian bike experience was on a 531 Reynolds I think. Maybe that was English though? It has been a while. My Ciocc was stiff and hard as a board. The super short wheelbase, steep head angle and 54CM frame would bring me to tears with my carpol tunnel wrists on washboard or gravel. I was almost glad when my wife drove the car into the garage with it on the roof. Mashed the bike, destroyed the rack. The "Honeybadger" of a beater Toyota Corona estate car didn't car. Not a scratch. Broke the wooden garage door as well.
When I slipped aboard the new Pinarello I was in heaven. That thing was/is a 57cm couch. LIke butter over the rough roads cross Colorado. Climbed like a rocket too. Stable up to any speed I could get to.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #27108
championsound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
We fly mostly 7075, and a few other high buck blends.[/snip]
The problem with 7000 series aluminum is that it gets very brittle very quick. Back when I was heavily into racing, my race bikes were always made out of 7000 series aluminum (Easton Elite) because at the level I was racing at, those 2 extra pounds in frame weight (vs steel) was crucial especially on the climbs.
The ONLY aluminum frame I ever loved was my Spooky Darkside and I broke one just about every 6 months. I'm probably one of the reasons why they went out business (the 1st time). I've had 5 of them and they're all dead. My last one I stopped riding because I wanted to preserve it for prosperity but guess what I found at the headtube/toptube junction...

One of these days I'm going to have a custom builder duplicate the frame geometry in steel.

Quote:
My first Italian bike experience was on a 531 Reynolds I think.
I've had carbon bikes, I've had titanium bikes, but the one that I always come back to...

The chrome lugs and stays are a real attention getter nowadays!
championsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #27109
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,165
Interesting. . . . I have an older klein quantum (1992-ish), and I think it rides quite nice. It's much more comfortable than the aluminum Trek that I had. I'm sure the carbon fork on the klein helps, and tire choice makes a big difference, but I think it's quite a nice bike.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #27110
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by championsound View Post
Holy contrasts!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #27111
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

A good friend and riding buddy has several Nago's. Including a pursuit funny bike for TT's with Campy CF discs. He also has a few Master's. Those things are rolling art.
We did some climbing back in the day. Mt Evans, Lots of Peak to Peak, and Rocky Mountain National Park.

That head tube has two stress risers working against the design. Welding changes the alloy in not all that predictable ways. We end up relying on statistics in the analysis.

I used to blow up a pair of skis from Head every weekend. After a couple of seasons Head decided to give me one last pair and told me to go away. So I bought Rossignols. Then only broke once.

We like to design joints to be only loaded in pure shear. No bending loads. In practice that doesn't happen much. Look at the head joint that has combined loading working against it along with fatigue in bending. Very little shear in that joint.
One of the reasons for going to the larger diameter steering tube is to combat this loading at the joint where the steering tube meets the fork. That larger tube forces a larger diameter frame to match this helps at the head tube joints at the top tube and down tube.

Makes me wonder what an Aluminum frame from say a 1997 CBR900RR with a half million miles on it would look like.

Or that Chromed frame BMW built for the 450 they had.
I wonder what something like that looks like after a few seasons.

I think brased, lugged steel is still the best value/performance/weight/endurance material and build technique available.
In thirty years I wonder how my CF frame will feel. I'd sure like to be in condition to test it then.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 02-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #27112
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,296
thanks gummee

for the uci link .

watched a bunch including whole elite mens race. Feed was awesome as was the racing !

Great race for Katie Compton.

got 1 1/2 hr in with friend late afternoon

The Dude
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #27113
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Nope, not me. watching scared me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
The risk benefit analysis doesn't quite add up for me.

My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 02-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #27114
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,835
300-km, done

Yesterday's Saguaro National Park 300k seemed...well... very difficult. Sure, I finished the event and my overall time was slightly better than last year. 30 or 40 miles of Highway 79 seemed tough - slight climb/slight headwind - it seemed to add up to misery. Traffic on 79 and coming into Tucson seemed to rejoice in close passes - no issues after that though. Gates Pass didn't seem as difficult and once over, my legs returned and I pushed nicely to the finish. I met and rode with some very nice people and that, as always, is what brings the joy to brevets. 300 km, 186 miles. 13 hours and change. Done.

Edit: I used an Edge 810 for the first time. Had a few operator-error issues but it seemed to work well. Around 5 pm, I turned on the "Livetrack" feature so my wife could see my progress on-line.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #27115
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Yesterday's Saguaro National Park 300k seemed...well... very difficult. Sure, I finished the event and my overall time was slightly better than last year. 30 or 40 miles of Highway 79 seemed tough - slight climb/slight headwind - it seemed to add up to misery. Traffic on 79 and coming into Tucson seemed to rejoice in close passes - no issues after that though. Gates Pass didn't seem as difficult and once over, my legs returned and I pushed nicely to the finish. I met and rode with some very nice people and that, as always, is what brings the joy to brevets. 300 km, 186 miles. 13 hours and change. Done.

Edit: I used an Edge 810 for the first time. Had a few operator-error issues but it seemed to work well. Around 5 pm, I turned on the "Livetrack" feature so my wife could see my progress on-line.
Awesome!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #27116
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
Good job, Gerry!
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #27117
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Good job, Gerry!
Shoot - my time was 14:10. I think I'm officially mentally beat. That means it was tougher than last year after all!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #27118
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 2,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Yesterday's Saguaro National Park 300k...Done.
Nice job. It's been awhile, but your post reminded me how much fun they are.
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #27119
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 2,212
2013 CX Worlds

Just got back from Louisville, where it was 2012 all over again (SPOILER): some amazing rides, some crushing moments of disappointment, some seriously good crashes (without injury), three golds for Holland and one for Belgium.

I enjoyed L'ville. Nice waterfront--the venue is in a dedicated cyclocross park right on the water. Nearby, there's a fantastic bike/ped (was RR) bridge with an impressive spiral access ramp. There was some bourbon, if I remember correctly.

Sporza TV estimated 8,000 fans in attendance. While that's a far cry from the 61,000 fans who attended last year's Worlds in Koksijde, Belgium, 2012 champ Niels Albert liked that U.S. fans cheer for everyone. And it was true. The crowd on the last hill was fantastic.

The juniors and women had an icy course, but the sun came out in the afternoon and the mud was exquisite by the time the elite men raced. The course had some great technical sections. The stairs to the flyover were super steep to prevent anyone from taking them two at a time. They have a run-up made of huge granite blocks--Powers rode them in warm-up, right after Nys had failed to do so, as Nys watched from the top step after dismounting and walking up. Then Nys came back around and rode them. Then he rode them again.

Can't say enough about the efforts to protect the course from inundation. City crews used temporary dams and large pumps to hold back the rising Ohio River long enough to get all the races in yesterday--this morning, the south end of the course was flooded. Outstanding job under extreme duress by the officials, race crew and city. As the world watched, they made the right calls when it mattered.
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:36 AM   #27120
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Nope, not me. watching scared me.
Target fixation! Do it right and all you see is the trail!

Which is a loss in and of itself.

Lotsa "Penalty Points" on that one.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: