Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 322 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #27151
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
That comparison has 29ers of all different component levels, disciplines, and travel. Not much of a shootout.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #27152
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,065
and it left out... SANTA CRUZ.

no bias here, oh no.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:31 AM   #27153
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,463
Oh my! This is better than that whole Larry Armstrong/Doping/Skinny tire ride around France scandal thing!

Everybody was talking about it at the trails last night, people are taking sides, friendships will be destroyed.

Seems the whole fat bike vs. skier thing has really come to a head.

At the race last weekend, they started the fat bikes just 2 hours after the last wave of skiers on the 50k course. The fastest fat biker beat the fastest skier by almost 10 minutes. Even I was catching up to the last few poor souls on skis praying for it to just be over.

Seems it didn't go without incident- the winning biker apparently crashed into a skier or two en route to victory.

The race result comments are interesting if you catch them before they get edited.

Guess I need to go ahead with my "FATBIKING IS NOT A CRIME" sticker order.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:06 AM   #27154
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Oh my! This is better than that whole Larry Armstrong/Doping/Skinny tire ride around France scandal thing!

Everybody was talking about it at the trails last night, people are taking sides, friendships will be destroyed.

At the race last weekend, they started the fat bikes just 2 hours after the last wave of skiers on the 50k course. The fastest fat biker beat the fastest skier by almost 10 minutes. Even I was catching up to the last few poor souls on skis praying for it to just be over.

Seems it didn't go without incident- the winning biker apparently crashed into a skier or two en route to victory.

The race result comments are interesting if you catch them before they get edited.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #27155
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,925
Quote:

I'll take one! Maybe two!

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #27156
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,584
Any other ADVCyclists going to this?

http://www.stopswapandsave.com/
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #27157
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,131
Very nice. Here, I drive to work and back to the hotel in he dark.
I think more people have cell phones stuck to their heads and in their laps here than in Southern California!
Only here they don't even bother to fake paying attention to what's outside the car/truck/beaterwagon.
I have to carry two cell phones now, thanks to work. And I ignore them in the car, even with bluetooth connections.
I'm acquiring this sort of dank phosphor pallor. You know that sexy gray, clammy look of the dead guy in the haunted house?

When I run it seems to always be cold so I'm wrapped up like the kid from "Christmas Story".
At least I have avoided licking any flag poles.

... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
That was awesome! 2:15 of working on my tan lines. ...in JAN! Woot!

M
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #27158
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:

Uh oh, This is not going to end well.....

Here the fat bikes don't really share very many trails with skiers. Good thing I guess. We also have not gotten enough snow lately to ski anyway.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #27159
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,678
Quote:
Watching RAGBRAI route announcement party tonight.

Apparently they've decided to make more time for boozing and cut out a lot of that pesky riding.
Only 407 miles... they really did cut out that pesky riding stuff. Was debating on whether to go or not this year. Think I'll probably stay home and race instead.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #27160
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Hello!

Studs are where it's at.
No way could I HTFU for that without some serious alcoholic-induced courage first...
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #27161
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,101
@Ridge: it ain't so bad once you convince yourself to get out the door. Getting out the door is the hard part. DAMHIK

I got in 3hrs today. Luckily, the massive headwind that I fought to get to the meeting spot was on the 'I'm going to ride Zone 1-2' section of my ride. Met my buddy and toodled around SW of Warrenton. Dropped him off at the top of Bealeton Rd and headed home.

Got to the corner of Rogues Rd and Ritchie Rd I put the hammer down and did an effort all the way to the bridge on Courthouse Rd. (I haven't DL-ed the Garmin, so don't quite know how long I went) Kept the HR in the zone I was looking for and was FLYING! That tailwind pushed me right along! Looked down at one point and was doing mid-50s kph. Gotta love hammering with a tailwind! Makes you feel fast. I know better, but I can dream.

Now its threatening rain and I'm gonna bet that the Wed night ride is gonna get cancelled.

To top off feeling good it was over 60 deg again today. One lightweight wool base layer and I was overdressed!

M
Old 01-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #27162
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,004
Quote:
@Ridge: it ain't so bad once you convince yourself to get out the door. Getting out the door is the hard part. DAMHIK

I got in 3hrs today. Luckily, the massive headwind that I fought to get to the meeting spot was on the 'I'm going to ride Zone 1-2' section of my ride. Met my buddy and toodled around SW of Warrenton. Dropped him off at the top of Bealeton Rd and headed home.

Got to the corner of Rogues Rd and Ritchie Rd I put the hammer down and did an effort all the way to the bridge on Courthouse Rd. (I haven't DL-ed the Garmin, so don't quite know how long I went) Kept the HR in the zone I was looking for and was FLYING! That tailwind pushed me right along! Looked down at one point and was doing mid-50s kph. Gotta love hammering with a tailwind! Makes you feel fast. I know better, but I can dream.

Now its threatening rain and I'm gonna bet that the Wed night ride is gonna get cancelled.

To top off feeling good it was over 60 deg again today. One lightweight wool base layer and I was overdressed!

M
Very hard to get out the door as you say but I did today - I overdressed also.

2nd bloody puncture in 2 rides, one of them on the bloody rollers - how the hell do you get a puncture on rollers

Felt good to get out but damn it was wet and windy...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #27163
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Very hard to get out the door as you say but I did today - I overdressed also.
Very easy to do. I practically always overdress and I'm down to a mesh base, then a thin wool layer, then a Gore Phantom. STILL get too farging hot. I had to sell my Assos jacket 'cause I just couldn't wear it without getting too hot. Too bad 'cause that was a fantastic bit of kit.

Quote:
2nd bloody puncture in 2 rides, one of them on the bloody rollers - how the hell do you get a puncture on rollers
I'm not saying nuthing. Nope not a darn thing about excess tonnage. Nope. I wouldn't do that.

Quote:
Felt good to get out but damn it was wet and windy...
No wet, but LOTS of wind around here.

M
Old 01-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #27164
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Very easy to do. I practically always overdress and I'm down to a mesh base, then a thin wool layer, then a Gore Phantom. STILL get too farging hot. I had to sell my Assos jacket 'cause I just couldn't wear it without getting too hot. Too bad 'cause that was a fantastic bit of kit.

I'm not saying nuthing. Nope not a darn thing about excess tonnage. Nope. I wouldn't do that.

No wet, but LOTS of wind around here.

M
What is the temp when you wear that? If it is over 60-65 I wear a pair of board shorts, and a MTB specific Alpinestar jersey I picked up cheap from Huck 'n Roll before they were bought out. In only that I still work up a sweat. Granted, on the MTB I am likely going slower so less windchill to contend with.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #27165
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 17,071

From a local police report website:

WOODSIDE
Canada and Woodside roads, 10:35 a.m. Saturday A group of cyclists, about 50 altogether, caught up with a driver who had passed them earlier, surrounded his vehicle, then punched and kicked his window and mirror.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: