Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 202 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 06:31 AM   #27421
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
@BB: dood. There's at least one guy in this thread that started riding in the 70s, I started riding in the 80s. Ya think we *may* just know what we're talking about?!

If you're going to throw money at something, throw money at something worth throwing money at. If you like steel, go find an old SL or 531 frame. If you're touring on it, go find an old touring frame. They're out there for inexpensive.

If you're not willing to listen to the answers, why ask the questions?

M

...because maybe he likes participating in the community. Gummee, I got mad love for ya. Any day of the week I'm in nokesville, first beer's on me. And you do know a tremendous amount about bikes, but if you come off like an arrogant poncing cockhitler with stinky tuna meatcurtains for lips, nobody's going to care if you're right or not. If he doesn't wanna listen to the answers, then let the man be wrong. It's not gonna kill you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #27422
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,131
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #27423
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
...because maybe he likes participating in the community. Gummee, I got mad love for ya. Any day of the week I'm in nokesville, first beer's on me. And you do know a tremendous amount about bikes, but if you come off like an arrogant poncing cockhitler with stinky tuna meatcurtains for lips, nobody's going to care if you're right or not. If he doesn't wanna listen to the answers, then let the man be wrong. It's not gonna kill you.
Awww ain't that true love...

I've made the mistake BB is making. I understand why too. ...but in the end, I had an expensive, hoopty, POS that didn't ride nearly as well, work nearly as well, or last nearly as long as if I'd started with something nicer. By nicer I don't mean $thousands I mean $hundreds.

A pricepoint mtn frame (~$100) with bad boy style wheels (cheap 29er disc wheels) on it will be a better starting spot than a department store bike with 27" wheels on it.

M
Old 02-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #27424
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

So what?
Quote:
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:08 AM   #27425
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
So what?
Intelligence: learning from your own mistakes

Wisdom: learning from someone else's mistakes

Just sayin

M
Old 02-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #27426
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

And sometimes you have to let other people be wrong for a while. Like I said, it ain't gonna kill you and you come off like a douche sometimes when you deign to instruct other people. Let it go, gummee. Let it go.
Quote:
Old 02-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #27427
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
And sometimes you have to let other people be wrong for a while. Like I said, it ain't gonna kill you and you come off like a douche sometimes when you deign to instruct other people. Let it go, gummee. Let it go.
You've met me. I AM a douche*.

Tend to be a polite douche, but a douche nonetheless.

M

*I prefer 'asshole' myself, but whatever works
Old 02-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #27428
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,993
Quote:
@BB: dood. There's at least one guy in this thread that started riding in the 70s, I started riding in the 80s.
70's? I started riding in 1968, so get lost n00b!
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #27429
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Quote:

M

Nah. You're a nice guy.
Quote:
Old 02-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #27430
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Quote:

M

You're not a douche, just sharing a bit of life experience. If people don't get it, that doesn't make you a prick, or your opinion offensive. Now if you don't mind I need leave...going to install Di2 on my Roadmaster.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #27431
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,239
I always thought the argument against department store bikes was safety - the welds, materials and geometry just aren't up to spirited riding, or touring for that matter.

I think Gummee knows his stuff, and he's trying to save the OP some cash and road rash - I don't see the harm in it?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #27432
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
You are correct, & throwing good money at one is not a decision I'd make.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #27433
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,635
On a different note.....

For those of us with a little wanderlust that needs to be satisfied by reading about others, check this out.

http://bunyanvelo.com/
mud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #27434
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,629
*so* many things wrong here,... (starting with a Dept store MTB that has caliper brakes?)

but seriously; if the fork that's going on there is a Cannondale S1 carbon, isn't that a road fork that's going to have a different axle-to-crown race dimension than what the frame geometry was designed for?
i can't imagine that's going to handle any better than poo, due to the slacker head tube angle it's going to create.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
As for the cranks those are gone...BB conversion came in the mail, waiting on my sunlite cranks to show up... As for the carbon vs chromo fork? Why NOT? LOL I had an old scwinn worlds chro-mo, with the chro-mo fork...front tire moved alot more than i felt comfortable with.... And besides i got the fork for under $50 shipped....

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #27435
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
*so* many things wrong here,... (starting with a Dept store MTB that has caliper brakes?)

but seriously; if the fork that's going on there is a Cannondale S1 carbon, isn't that a road fork that's going to have a different axle-to-crown race dimension than what the frame geometry was designed for?
i can't imagine that's going to handle any better than poo, due to the slacker head tube angle it's going to create.
The geo of the frame is a late 80s frame, and it sucked balls as anmtb frame because its the same frame they used for road bikes... The geo is very close to spot on with my brothers 2 yr old dawes, fork rake included... So even though it was sold as an mtb, its really not... Just cause i come across as a noob, doesnt mean i am... I may be younger than most, but i do know how to build a damned bike... I been building up frames for 12 yrs now... I even have built my own wheelsets...

Will this build be an optimum build? Hell no.... Its just a fun build so far, to prove folks wrong who say it cant be done or will ride like shit... If it does, i can swap 99% of the parts to a decent frame.... So no worries there i have made sure anything i get CAN be used on a modern frame... So far the only stuff that wont swap right over will be front derailleur and BB.... Everythi g else is all industry standard (and yes i can get a headset to run a 1" fork on a frame for 1 1/8th)

So... If yoi dont like what i am doing, so be it... I know its not perfect...i dont expect it to be perfect... Its not like i am trying to build a $3k race bike off of this frame...

I love how so many people cant think outside of the box for stuff like this... And as said if its a shitty bike when its done, i can swap it all over to a road frame...done...
bogieboy is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: