Bill Burr on Lance...

http://thegoat.backcountry.com/2013/...ong-and-oprah/
Old 02-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #27437
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
I always thought the argument against department store bikes was safety - the welds, materials and geometry just aren't up to spirited riding, or touring for that matter.

I think Gummee knows his stuff, and he's trying to save the OP some cash and road rash - I don't see the harm in it?
Save me cash? How is spending hundreds on a frame saving me cash over using what i have? Some people just dont get it.....
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #27438
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Don't forget the bar end rear view mirror.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #27439
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Nah. You're a nice guy.
Dammit! Stop that! You'll ruin my reputation!

If you'd inherited a 'Busa engine and told me you were going to stick it in your Connie, I'd tell you the same things I've told BB: I don't think its smart, its going to be a hack job at best, and you're better off starting with a 'Busa frame and hanging touring stuff off that than starting with a Connie frame and adding HP (can you say 'twist into a pretzel?!)

M
Old 02-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #27440
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
Save me cash? How is spending hundreds on a frame saving me cash over using what i have? Some people just dont get it.....
There's saving cash being cheap and saving cash being frugal. Right now, cheap is winning.

M
Old 02-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #27441
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:

When the dept store frame snaps and get to pay even the smallest of ER bills, it will have paid off to spend the few hundred to buy a frame. But, like others said, it's your ride - do as you wish. Just know the advice given here is coming from some very experienced riders/mechanics.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #27442
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,620
Bogie,

it's not clear; do you understand the difference between fork rake and axle-to-crown race...?
if you're putting a road fork on a bike that was designed for the shorter fork that goes with a MTB wheel, you're going to be tipping the whole frame back, making for a slacker head tube angle and deader handling.

so, you're starting with a bike that admittedly sucked at what it was allegedly for, and spending money to make it, uh, suckier? if you're doing this just for the drill, that's great, but i don't know if this is something i'd want to trust my teeth with to start with.

not trying to get down on you, just trying to help point out the errors. while you may have been messing with bikes for a while, odds are there are a few people around here who made similar errors long before that, or better yet, learned from the people who went before us.

(12 years, eh? that's cute,... shucks, i'm not the most experienced person here, but one of the MTBs i've still got was more than 12 years old over 12 years ago,... and that was custom built for me to replace my first! )

Quote:
The geo of the frame is a late 80s frame, and it sucked balls as anmtb frame because its the same frame they used for road bikes... The geo is very close to spot on with my brothers 2 yr old dawes, fork rake included... So even though it was sold as an mtb, its really not... Just cause i come across as a noob, doesnt mean i am... I may be younger than most, but i do know how to build a damned bike... I been building up frames for 12 yrs now... I even have built my own wheelsets...

Will this build be an optimum build? Hell no.... Its just a fun build so far, to prove folks wrong who say it cant be done or will ride like shit... If it does, i can swap 99% of the parts to a decent frame.... So no worries there i have made sure anything i get CAN be used on a modern frame... So far the only stuff that wont swap right over will be front derailleur and BB.... Everythi g else is all industry standard (and yes i can get a headset to run a 1" fork on a frame for 1 1/8th)

So... If yoi dont like what i am doing, so be it... I know its not perfect...i dont expect it to be perfect... Its not like i am trying to build a $3k race bike off of this frame...

I love how so many people cant think outside of the box for stuff like this... And as said if its a shitty bike when its done, i can swap it all over to a road frame...done...

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #27443
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

When's winter gonna be over?!

M
Old 02-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #27444
vfr700
172S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

M
Seems over to me.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #27445
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
Seems over to me.
Bite me

M
Old 02-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #27446
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,834
Quote:

M
What is this 'winter' you speak of?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #27447
vfr700
172S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
What is this 'winter' you speak of?
I think maybe a patch of cold weather perhaps? I had to layer for my ride to work this morning....busted out the arm warmers, I think it was overkill tho.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #27448
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,442
FYYFF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #27449
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
Bogie,

it's not clear; do you understand the difference between fork rake and axle-to-crown race...?
if you're putting a road fork on a bike that was designed for the shorter fork that goes with a MTB wheel, you're going to be tipping the whole frame back, making for a slacker head tube angle and deader handling.

so, you're starting with a bike that admittedly sucked at what it was allegedly for, and spending money to make it, uh, suckier? if you're doing this just for the drill, that's great, but i don't know if this is something i'd want to trust my teeth with to start with.

not trying to get down on you, just trying to help point out the errors. while you may have been messing with bikes for a while, odds are there are a few people around here who made similar errors long before that, or better yet, learned from the people who went before us.

(12 years, eh? that's cute,... shucks, i'm not the most experienced person here, but one of the MTBs i've still got was more than 12 years old over 12 years ago,... and that was custom built for me to replace my first! )
First off yes i do under stand the difference of fork to crown and fork rake... Axle to crown is quite simply the distance from the axle to the crown, measured in a straight line (i.e. Not following the fork) measured from the axle to the crown... Fork rake is the angle forward from the steer tube to where the axle mounts...also, did you know that the forks arent all that much different going from a solid 26" to a 700c? I have 700c wheels on the 26" fork and the brakes (road brakes for 700c) reach the rim perfectly)

as for the reason it sucked as what it was sold for is because they sold it as an mtb with a road geo.... Like i said the whole geo is almost identical to my bros Dawes... Which is a 700x23c bike from the factory... The head tube angle is identical to his dawes, and as it sits right now is the exact same hieght at the crown as his... Like i said its a road frame that was sold as an mtb...

I can understand your viewpoint on the whole thing (as well as everyone elses, its kinda hard to show my research without extensive pictures, and lengthy descriptions to show everything i have already looked into, so it would raise doubts with yall, as for the frame integrity, before i even started in the build i gave it a good examination, and, as someone who needs to know how to weld for my job, i see no issues with this frame, i didnt see any flaws or anything that would indicate a weak point. If i had seen any of that i wouldnt have even taken the frame in the first place...

On a side note, with a crap 150mm crank, and circa 1970s kit (shifters and derailleurs) i rode this frame over 1500mi, so i already have full faith in the frame as a road frame, and am cofortable with the basic geo of it as a road frame...

Like i said before it may not be ideal, but i like doing stuff the hard way sometimes...LOL its much more gratifying in the end....

In theory i could have gone on ebay and bought a new entry level schwinn for the price of my shifters and wheels... But then i would still have a lousy dept store quality frame, and the bottom of the barrel components, with crap rims.... I think i would be much better offwith buildi g up what i have, and maybe down the road upgrade the frame than start with all entry level crap... Pretty much all the stuff going on can be transferred over to a modern frameset, so its not like i am sinking an assload of money into something that i wont be able to use on anything else...
Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #27450
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I dont really get your point... So i am putting decent componentry on a frame i already have... Im not getting bottom of the barrel stuff here, and the frame is from a bike that retailed for about 350 back in the 90s... Its not a stupid cheap bike at all... I just happened apon the frame for free and thought it would be fun to build up for something different...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: