Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 236 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #27481
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
This is stuff I've learned over the last 30+ years of racing, building bikes, & being in the bike business. I'm very conservative with some component choices.
Ditto.

'Course, I refuse to run anything but clipless pedals on OR off-road, so I'm gonna stay out of this one. I know next to nothing about platforms.

...in fact, I just rode my XTR pedals for 4:16. Roughly half dirt roads. Hellova headwind on the way out. Hellova tailwind on the way back

Bout time I actually got a tailwind ride instead of 2 headwind legs!

M
Old 02-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #27482
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
But I thought titanium was stronger than steel. Oh well, maybe you've saved me a few bucks.
IIRC same strength for lighter weight

I know Speedplay pedals have/had a 180# rider weight limit on their Ti pedals. If they don't think that anyone heavy should be riding their pedals, I doubt anyone that doesn't do as much testing, etc would do any better.

M
Old 02-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #27483
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Looking to do a century or two this year...

unfortunately, we're expected to get about 10 inches of white crap over the next four or five days so it will be awhile before I actually get to try it out...February in MN
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #27484
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,013
FWIW (about $0.002), my wellgo pin platform pedals use a cro-mo spindle. after reading dozens of pin-platform pedal reviews, I found a bunch of the 'fancy' (and expensive) ones have weak outboard bearings that aren't even really outboard, more like 'middle of pedal', and a few rock strikes later, these pedals are failing.

the wellgo's I picked up have the outboard bearing all the way at the outside of the pedal so your weight is split between the two pedals. they also have a very large platform (hey, I have big feet), and a few pins in the center as well as all the way around the edges.

I'm liking them. combined with a walking type shoe that has a spring shank in its sole, they have great traction, your foot doesn't slip at all, and you can 'scrape' the bottom of each pedal stroke to increase your total output, almost as well as you can with toeclips and cleats, or with clipless...

note this is a discontinued model, I got them rather cheap on fleabay last summer as a clearance item. they were new in box.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #27485
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
FWIW (about $0.002), my wellgo pin platform pedals use a cro-mo spindle. after reading dozens of pin-platform pedal reviews, I found a bunch of the 'fancy' (and expensive) ones have weak outboard bearings that aren't even really outboard, more like 'middle of pedal', and a few rock strikes later, these pedals are failing.

the wellgo's I picked up have the outboard bearing all the way at the outside of the pedal so your weight is split between the two pedals. they also have a very large platform (hey, I have big feet), and a few pins in the center as well as all the way around the edges.

I'm liking them. combined with a walking type shoe that has a spring shank in its sole, they have great traction, your foot doesn't slip at all, and you can 'scrape' the bottom of each pedal stroke to increase your total output, almost as well as you can with toeclips and cleats, or with clipless...

note this is a discontinued model, I got them rather cheap on fleabay last summer as a clearance item. they were new in box.
Im in the large foot crowd as well and i like to use a large BMX pedal... And clips just for the oldschool factor.....LOL
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #27486
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,353
I still have my e-bike in pieces....the chain got all kinds of messed up in transit, it goes in a loop and I can't get the thing untangled. Any advice? I'm hoping to not have to get tools (and a friend) to take it apart.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #27487
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
I still have my e-bike in pieces....the chain got all kinds of messed up in transit, it goes in a loop and I can't get the thing untangled. Any advice? I'm hoping to not have to get tools (and a friend) to take it apart.
can ya post up a pic?

...and look it over closely. There may be a master link.

M
Old 02-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #27488
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
that chain tangle, if you look at it from the 'side' of the chain, it should be pretty evident what loop of links is on 'top' (closest to you) from all the others, unjam those and work your way through it.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #27489
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
can ya post up a pic?

...and look it over closely. There may be a master link.

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
that chain tangle, if you look at it from the 'side' of the chain, it should be pretty evident what loop of links is on 'top' (closest to you) from all the others, unjam those and work your way through it.
Thanks I'll try that and if it doesn't work I'll grab a pic.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:07 AM   #27490
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,085

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #27491
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Quote:

That will be a fun afternoon project.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #27492
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post

unfortunately, we're expected to get about 10 inches of white crap over the next four or five days so it will be awhile before I actually get to try it out...February in MN
Awesome bike!

We got ~5 inches in 3hrs, yesterday. We had pretty good winds that drifted everything. My snowblower has a 12" auger and most every driveway I cleared, last night, was right at the top of it.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #27493
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,269
Quote:

So ya pulled the trigger... Let us know how it is and post pics! Congrats - I love new bike parts!
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #27494
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post

NICE

I *love* my Cannondale (although it's not as nice as yours).
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #27495
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
So ya pulled the trigger... Let us know how it is and post pics! Congrats - I love new bike parts!
A local shop sold it to me for $500 below retail and will install it for FREE.

They cater to a lot of racers, and want to use my bike to show off the XX1 system. Since I can only ride on weekends, the bike will stay at their shop for most of the week. We're still waiting for the 1x11 rear wheel hub adapter from Stans.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: