User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #27616
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Bicyclists on phones are bad enough, but it's the scooter riders on phones here that really get me.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:55 AM   #27617
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,853
Since I ride at night and it has been epically cold the last month or so here in Los Angeles I haven't ridden in almost 2 months. Not even the rollers (which I rather despise.)

Decided to gofor a spin last night and it was windy in every directino I headed. Even downhill. My throat was burning the entire time. Only managed 22 odd miles... But it's a start.

It's warming up a little so I might start riding more.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:59 AM   #27618
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
Since I ride at night and it has been epically cold the last month or so here in Los Angeles I haven't ridden in almost 2 months. Not even the rollers (which I rather despise.)

Decided to gofor a spin last night and it was windy in every directino I headed. Even downhill. My throat was burning the entire time. Only managed 22 odd miles... But it's a start.

It's warming up a little so I might start riding more.
Dood. You have NO bidness saying 'epically cold' and 'LA' in the same post.

*I* have no bidness saying 'epically cold' either for that matter. Not when there's AK inmates, IA inmates, and other people that actually DO live where its 'epically cold.'

HTFU Buttercup!*

I'm fixin to go do the Mt Weather loop. 3.5hrs of rolling hills with a fairly decent sized hill (I refuse to call it a mtn after living in CO and Sandy Eggo) in the middle. You may have heard of Mt Weather as the site for Congress' bunker. I'm not taking pics or stopping 'cause the security guards get awful jumpy when you do.

It may get to the mid-40s today. Mostly cloudy. ...so screw it! I'm dressing in a layer or two of wool and calling it good.

M

*this is intended to be good-natured ribbing. Don't read anything else into it
Old 03-01-2013, 05:09 AM   #27619
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Tomorrow: Strada Bianche

Pez pics

Looks like fun!

M
Old 03-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #27620
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Paris-Nice, this weekend, too.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #27621
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,865
No "good" TV at the hotel.
Guess I'll have to just wait out my cold.
The Marriott, Residence Inn wifi is so lame I can't stream MotoGP except while sitting at the desk. And even then it stops and starts. This has been the case for all of this brand of hotel I've stayed in here, Everett and in Wichita. I plan to avoid these in the future. A week from now, I'll be moving back to the Hilton. Much better wifi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Paris-Nice, this weekend, too.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #27622
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
A week from now, I'll be moving back to the Hilton. Much better wifi.
Geez! Sounds rough, compared to the Corporate Lodging options I used to stay in.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #27623
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
No "good" TV at the hotel.
Guess I'll have to just wait out my cold.
The Marriott, Residence Inn wifi is so lame I can't stream MotoGP except while sitting at the desk. And even then it stops and starts. This has been the case for all of this brand of hotel I've stayed in here, Everett and in Wichita. I plan to avoid these in the future. A week from now, I'll be moving back to the Hilton. Much better wifi.
I doubt its on teevee anyhow. www.cyclingfans.com is where you wanna go.

I was off 25min. We got back in 3:55 not 3.30. Oh well. I need to beat some sense in the guy I keep riding with. Things like 'you wait at the top of the hill for your riding buddy.' We got to the top of the first uphill on Mt Weather, I waited for him, then towards the top he put in a dig and kept going! Gee thanks! You've just demonstrated how to eff over your riding buddy in one easy step.

On the other hand, that's the fastest I've ever gone across that ridge. Having someone to chase keeps the motivation up. I kept getting within 50m of him, but then he'd crest the hill I was still climbing and it'd be till the next hill that I caught up with him. Repeat the length of the ridge.

Being strong isn't everything. By the bottom of that hill, he'd blown his wad. Next hill, I had to wait for him for a good few minutes and then towed him down the hill. ...and kept towing most of the way back down Rt 55.

Getting back to the 'strong isn't everything' thing. If you're out riding with buddies, its about getting EVERYone there. If you're the strongest dood out there, its your job to keep the weaker guys out of the wind and not set a pace that blows em out the back.

If you're pulling its your job to make sure that when you're riding into a crosswind that you allow enough space on the downwind side for people to find a draft. If that means riding on the yellow line, that means riding on the yellow line and singling up when a car comes behind you. If there's just two of you, it means riding towards the left side of the right tire track so you're not putting your buddy into the gutter.

Basically, its 'don't screw your buddy' when you're out riding in a group. Whether that group is 1 other person or 100, the ideas are the same.

Like I said: I gotta pound some sense into B

M
Old 03-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #27624
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,865
Marriott residence Inn has the crappiest wifi I've experienced. Heck, I streamed motoGP practice one morning sitting on a Starbucks patio in Wichita.
The Hilton Homewood nee Homeboy Suites has pretty good wifi. Not as fast as at home, but it works at least. best I've found was Staybridge Suites in Mukilteo. Nice folks there too, and good riding. Very nice wine bar down the street.

I've been on constant travel since the first of last August. The shine went off the bloom a good long time ago on my first extended business trip in 2009. About a half hour into the mess at the airport I'd had all I wanted. Spending two thirds of following year and a half in Everett was only made tolerable by exploring and the people. OK, the beer and the seafood did have something to do with it.

This afternoon I got tapped to work a little special deal. meaning my weekend plans may be screwed. Any ideas I had of heading home early after only eight hours today are vapor.

So, whenever I do get off I'll go grocery shopping since I'm down to crackers and a piece of cheese at the hotel. At least it's warm here. And my buddies in SoCal tell me the heat there today is headed here so we got some warm coming. It has been cold enough at night here I've had to sleep with a beanie on to stay warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Geez! Sounds rough, compared to the Corporate Lodging options I used to stay in.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #27625
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Thought y'all would like to know I've got a case of the screw-its.

...and the couch monster is calling my name...

Interesting race this AM. Didn't work out how I woulda figgered. ...and that Sagan is a monster! He's going great guns. Let's see how he does in the classics coming up here soon.

M
Old 03-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #27626
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

What an interesting concept: Ciclotte

Certainly innovative. I didn't bother to look at the price tag, but my little brother sez $10k

M
Old 03-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #27627
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

Certainly innovative. I didn't bother to look at the price tag, but my little brother sez $10k

M
$10,800 at current exchange rates (not including tax) for a stationary exercise bike? It must suck to have that kind of money.

This is what I managed today, and it only cost me gas money out to Palo Cedro and back. I know, I should've ridden from home. I'm weak.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #27628
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 66,444
Nice ride, Ned!

Andrew, I'm using a Garmin 705 GPS and uploading the data to Strava and Ride with GPS. My team is on Strava, so I can compare performance with my team mates. I have long added rides to RWGPS, so I'm continuing it. The GPS captures all the elevations. It also has HR, cadence and speed connections. If I was filthy rich, I'd add a hub that records power.

Here's today's big party:

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:25 AM   #27629
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
What an interesting concept: Ciclotte

M
I'm sure it's worth every penny.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #27630
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,763
400k done

~254 miles in 18:26... I think. We fought the wind a bit, a few asshole drivers, etc but overall, it was a good ride. I had a shot at under 18 hrs but the guys I was with couldn't go more than 14-15 and I was good for 17-18. I decided that there was more perceived safety, at night, with others than alone.

We started at 0603 (officially, 0600) and ended at 0026. There was a group of four who finished in 15:40 - they know how to work well together, something I can't get my buddy to understand. They were the first group to finish, we were the next. There were seven still out when we wrapped up.

I had Garmin issues - my data is FUBAR'd but I haven't touched it yet. Too tired and sore but I'll look at it later.

My time was well over an hour better than last year. We saved time by not eating a good meal all day.

More to follow.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: