Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 315 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #27661
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,305
Eek

http://www.seattlebikeblog.com/2013/...ould-be-taxed/

State lawmaker defends bike tax, says bicycling is not good for the environment

“You would be giving off more CO2 if you are riding a bike than driving in a car,” he said. However, he said he had not “done any analysis” of the difference in CO2 from a person on a bike compared to the engine of a car (others have).

“You can’t just say that there’s no pollution as a result of riding a bicycle.”
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #27662
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post

“You would be giving off more CO2 if you are riding a bike than driving in a car,” he said. However, he said he had not “done any analysis” of the difference in CO2 from a person on a bike compared to the engine of a car (others have).

Quick!! Act now!! Ban all heart rates over 95 and respiratory rates over 8!! Our planet can not tolerate the abuse our bodies are causing!! Subsections to the law include banning prey from running from predators and all animals weighing in excess of 5 tons are to be banned.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #27663
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
And I had just picked up a 2013 Specialized catalog from an LBS the other day - I saw all the tricross ones on there but hadn't considered that one carefully. I didn't know you could slap 29ers on it. And I love my Sirrus, so I'm gonna give the Tricross a hard look.
I'm not totally sure if all the new models will take a 29er. I know the 2010, and earlier, will. I have a Comp and my GF has the Expert. They, both, have swoopy stays and forks that'll clear them, as does the S-Works. Below is a pic of a Sport (straight seatstays) who is running just a 29er front.

I'd do some digging around eBay and Craigslist, if you choose to go with a Tricross. I gave $1280 ($2400 MSRP) and $1250 ($2800 MSRP) for each of ours, on eBay. Mine was new and hers had ~5 rides on it.

ducnut screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 09:17 AM
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #27664
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,558
I don't mind used. Good to know, thanks!
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #27665
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Wanting something a little more road bikey (and therefore, familiar) is why I was leaning towards the CC. Was thinking of getting a frame & building it up myself, since the frame gets great reviews but people say the components are crap.
One of the coolest things about the CC is how versatile it is. I have seen them built up as flat bar city bikes all the way to full on touring and everything in between. They are really fun bikes.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #27666
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatfishRacing View Post
My guess is you don't have a cadence sensor on the car or the motorcycle.

I use a 705 and 305 and have wheel speed sensors on most of my bikes.
I haven't been able to figure out how to make it work on the Moonlander.

Catfish
www.FarkleMasters.com
Sent via my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
HA! I specifically got a Garmin bike'puter for my Moonlander because the wheel size changes so much based on pressure, and the soft surfaces I tend to take it on. I wouldn't mind having cadence - and the sensor would work for that, just not for both cadence and wheel magnet due to the geometry of the offset wheel/wide BB and how the sensor is built. Mount it on the left side chainstay, there are no spokes anywhere nearby. I did see a picture of one mounted under the right chainstay - that might work.

As a note, when comparing distances/average speeds within a group of mtb'rs with normal 'puters, there was always a spread among the readings. Kinda like the "man with two watches".

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #27667
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,118
Well, not entirely what he said, but weirdness abounds in the house of cards.
I would agree that taxing cyclist to ride would be similar to taxing drivers to drive to partially support roads and bike lanes. But, and this I think is a big one, if that were to be attempted, the very first thing to pop up would be bike lanes/paths. Cars fuel tax goes partially to fund roads that cars use. Bikes could maybe argue that the tax on them should go specifically to bike lanes and paths. Tough to get that to work. I recall back in the 809's that there was a statistic that there are something like 4 times as many bikes as cars so this could be a real tax boon for some communities, and burden for some bike-hoarding cyclists.

Not sure how you would figure out how much a specific bike is ridden, something that is pretty elemental with fuel taxation.
I know Mandate State defined GPS/cyclometers and HR monitors and power meters..

HAhaha Everybody has to BE on STRAVA!!!

You will be assimilated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post

My Life With The 990R
Smugmug

Mr Head screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 12:18 PM
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #27668
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,072
I'm riding a dingle. My right Rival shifter locked up on me halfway thru my ride. Time to call SRAM and see about a warranty.

I'd forgotten how nice it is to not worry about shifting. I think I'm going to try and find a Langster... Its also amazing what you can get up and over if you don't have a choice.

M
Old 03-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #27669
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Its also amazing what you can get up and over if you don't have a choice.
It's like being a kid again!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #27670
trekkingjon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I love to ride

Looks like Idaho will be starting to warm up. Time to get the ole Trek out and start puttin on some miles. I have a few tours to train for plus the fact that I just love to get out there and enjoy the ride.
Tours this year: Rupert Idaho Ride for Kids on May 18th.
June 29 & 30, MS 150, Logan UT. A great ride. Great cause to ride for.
July 12 & 13 Seattle WA to Portland OR. 200 + miles.
Along with riding outside to train I also teach indoor cycling @ Gold's Gym.
If anyone would like to join me in the fight against MS, E-mail me and I can send you the information. I am accepting donations to help in the fight against MS.
trekkingjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #27671
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
I only got it because my old Cateye shit the bed and would not reset after installing a new battery, plus I had a gift certificate from the bike shop. Oh and the sales girl showing the Garmin units was HOT. Now for the riding part. I have been out with my buds on the trails and for example the Edge is showing a 9.9 mph avg speed while theirs are showing around a 1mph faster average. The thing is they are going much slower and I am waiting on them at the intersections and tops of climbs. I thought it was a fluke, but more than 1 friend is showing a faster average speed, and I'm smoking these guys out there. Maybe it has something to do with the stop/start function set to stop every time I stop the bike to wait on them. Usually it restarts within 3 seconds after a switchback or pit stop. We all joke about it but it seems odd to be 1mph off over the course of a 10 mile mtb ride. On the road, I'm not sure how off it is as I always ride alone.
What software are you using to view the GPS log?
Garmin Training Centre will show a lower average since it adds stoppage time

Better to upload to garmin connect (connect.garmin.com) and get better stats. Moving and overall averages are displayed

On the wheel speed sensor, it should help the GPS in degraded signal situations. If the sensor is off, you get very funny figures.

BTW, the speed and cadence sending units are different, the cadence unit is attached to the left pedal. Both are picked up by the same sensor though.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:00 AM   #27672
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,072
We've got ~6" of snow here in NoVA and its still coming down.

May have to ride the trainer for the 3rd time this winter.

M
Old 03-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #27673
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 978
Quote:
I'm pondering the ubiquitous cyclocross-ish dirt bike combined with some touring features. I know there's a pretty significant hybridization of those two styles, so I'm wondering what y'all would think. I'm thinking along the lines of a Cross Check or a Vaya.
How are you looking to use it?

I've got a Vaya. Probably a good choice if you're looking to use it mostly for touring and loaded riding and you're not in a hurry. If you want something utilitarian that you can also strip down for more spirited riding, I'd suggest looking elsewhere. It's a heavy thing, and when riding it unloaded for fun I often find myself wishing I was on my road bike or that I had a lighter and more performance-oriented cyclocross bike.

A good bike, just not right for much of my riding, in practice.
Oznerol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #27674
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
How are you looking to use it?

I've got a Vaya. Probably a good choice if you're looking to use it mostly for touring and loaded riding and you're not in a hurry. If you want something utilitarian that you can also strip down for more spirited riding, I'd suggest looking elsewhere. It's a heavy thing, and when riding it unloaded for fun I often find myself wishing I was on my road bike or that I had a lighter and more performance-oriented cyclocross bike.

A good bike, just not right for much of my riding, in practice.
Thanks for that input. I have 0 experience with the Vaya.

In terms of use, I need to acquire some basic dirt skills. There's some trails out in the county that a lot of the dirt guys like to ride, and I'd like to get in on that. As well, there are a lot of rail trails locally that go lots of places - so I'm gonna do some bikepacking. Ideally, I'd like one bike to do both of those, even if I need to swap wheels or bars.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #27675
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
In terms of use, I need to acquire some basic dirt skills. There's some trails out in the county that a lot of the dirt guys like to ride, and I'd like to get in on that. As well, there are a lot of rail trails locally that go lots of places - so I'm gonna do some bikepacking. Ideally, I'd like one bike to do both of those, even if I need to swap wheels or bars.
You may spend some time looking through this blog. There's a lot of great info, in the articles.

Also, on the Cross-Check, I wasn't crazy about the semi-horizontal dropouts. They're a PITA, with fenders.

What you're looking to do is exactly why I left skinny-tired bikes. There, simply, are too many dirt and gravel roads to explore.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: