Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #27811
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
thanks Gummee - hope I'm not driving you nuts. For wheels am I looking for higher spoke count?

That Giant looks nice, but it's a drive for me... I'm up in central New England.
I'm willing to go look at it, you can pay the dood, and I'll box and ship (shipping on your dime) for ya.

Lots of 'cyclists' here in the DC area....

Spoke count: 36h in the back, min 32h in the front. 36/36 wheelsets are going cheap on ebay. Keep an eye out.

M
Old 03-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #27812
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,655
hi MF!

i'll second something Gummee alluded to; that's that the full-race top-o'-the-line stuff won't be your best bet for durability. the highest-end stuff is frequently built to try to maximize performance at a compromise in durabilty; the second-level stuff will often last longer.

that said, i'd encourage you to look at something like what Gummee pointed out for you already on Craigslist, and just ride it well. if something (most likely the wheels) prove to not be up to the task, find a good wheel-builder, and have some better wheels built. (the builder is the most important part!)
there are lots of things that can be done to help build an appropriate wheel for the non-flyweights amongst us (like slightly wider rims, off-center rims, hi-lo flanged hubs, double-butted spokes, lacing patterns, etc.), but wheel-building is worthy of a complete discussion on its own, and what is needed depends on who's using them where and how. (for example, i don't weigh much less than you do, and am over the recommended max weight for almost all my equipment, yet i've never had a problem with a wheel that wasn't ultimately my fault.)

Quote:
Thanks! How do you like that Giant TCX2 for an ogar? I admittedly don't know much about CX drivetrain/specs, but I love my LBS, who sells Giant.
I plan to upgrade the saddle and pedals with clipless, but other than that I'd prefer to just ride the thing.

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #27813
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,303
Gummee - that's a hell of an offer, I truly appreciate the gesture. I'm going to look around a bit more though to get a better feel for what I'm looking for. The more I think of it the more I realize I'll mostly be riding dirt roads anyways, so I think a true cross bike would be my best bet.

Mud - suggestions noted, thank you. I'll keep an eye on that. The less flex under my fat ass, the better!

Zouch - Thanks for the help on this! My budget (up to about $1,500) will keep me away from the super high end stuff anyways, but I am going to pay close attention to wheels. Today or tomorrow I plan on seeing what my LBS will do regarding beefier wheels on that Giant. I like the idea of craigslist as well, but I would prefer to ride the bike before I sign up for it. My eyes are peeled. I (knock on wood) have also never really broken anything due to my weight, save for stripping out the rear hub on my Reign twice.

I'm excited for the new ride, I'm sick of running! Also should add that I'd probably rather buy new, to support my LBS and to have representation if I have warranty issues or the bike doesn't work out.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #27814
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Wed night ride tonite. Got dark-ish as we were coming down Bull Run Mtn Rd.

Guess who didn't bring lights? Got em out. Battery is charged. Everything is good to go except that they got left here.

Last of the Wed dirt road rides till next fall/winter.

On one hand, I like the dirt roads. Lots. On the other, the dirt roads have more/bigger hills on em.

I can hammer on myself more on the road ride 'cause its flatter once we get over the big-ass hill known as Waterfall.

Ah well. Time change = times change.

M
Old 03-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #27815
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Thanks! How do you like that Giant TCX2 for an ogar? I admittedly don't know much about CX drivetrain/specs, but I love my LBS, who sells Giant.
I plan to upgrade the saddle and pedals with clipless, but other than that I'd prefer to just ride the thing.
You need to test ride that TCX, against other CX bikes, especially steel ones. The TCX is definitely geared more toward competition, than all-arounder. It's definitely on the stiffer end of the ride spectrum.

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned the Kona Rove and Raleigh Roper, elsewhere. Don't forget about these guys, either. CX wheelsets are going to be stronger than the typical road wheelsets. You can run slicks on the 'cross wheelset; no need to buy another set of wheels. You want SRAM Apex or Shimano 105 minimum, for a drivetrain.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #27816
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Stoemper

More

M
Old 03-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #27817
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
You need to test ride that TCX, against other CX bikes, especially steel ones. The TCX is definitely geared more toward competition, than all-arounder. It's definitely on the stiffer end of the ride spectrum.

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned the Kona Rove and Raleigh Roper, elsewhere. Don't forget about these guys, either. CX wheelsets are going to be stronger than the typical road wheelsets. You can run slicks on the 'cross wheelset; no need to buy another set of wheels. You want SRAM Apex or Shimano 105 minimum, for a drivetrain.

Thanks for the continued help/tips! My issue with test riding is most bike shops don't have XL sized stuff in stock, but I plan to spend Saturday perusing a few places around here. Turns out, Giant does make the TCX1-it's sort of hidden in their site : http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...1/11507/55856/

I'm thinking I would rather have disc brakes, though, and I'm looking into stock wheelsets more as well. For my weight, wouldn't I be better off on a stiff frame? Or is that not correct?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #27818
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
For that kind of frame pricetag, I'm thinking I'd rather have a Tiger 800.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #27819
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
For that kind of frame pricetag, I'm thinking I'd rather have a Tiger 800.
Me too. S'why I'm going to wait for a Chinese knockoff.

@Moodfart: that -1 is perfect. Rival is a good group. 2 of my 3 bikes have a mix of that and everything else SRAM makes.

M
Old 03-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #27820
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Sweet! Little more than I'd like to spend, but I do ride often, and I've never regretted spending what I have for my mtb. I'm going to see what my shop says about it today. Like I said, I'd love to be able to throw a WTB saddle and a couple bottle cages on it and be ready to rock!
Old 03-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #27821
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
For my weight, wouldn't I be better off on a stiff frame? Or is that not correct?
There's a difference in a frame that pedals stiff and one that rides stiff. Downtube, lower seattube, chainstays, and their junction mostly contribute to the pedaling stiffness. The seatstays are mostly what contribute to the ride stiffness. Competition 'cross bikes are going to be stiff, in both qualities. Racers want every watt going into the drivetrain. They're willing to give up vertical compliance (ride quality) to get that. If you're not competitively racing, a more vertically compliant bike will be much more enjoyable to ride, day to day. Generally, large frame sizes are going to be built with stronger tubing, anyway. So, you don't necessarily have to give up a good ride to get a bike that'll handle your weight. For example, people rave about how nice a Surly LHT rides. Yet, that bike will easily handle 100lbs of gear on top of the rider's weight.

My MTB partner is 6'4" and ~250lbs and rides this. He's never mentioned anything about it being too flexy; only how good it rides.

On a side note, a Cervelo rep was telling me they cut the seatstays out of an R3 and rode it, to demonstrate the stiffness of their chainstays. That's part of the reason their seatstays can be so thin.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #27822
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Sweet! Little more than I'd like to spend, but I do ride often, and I've never regretted spending what I have for my mtb. I'm going to see what my shop says about it today. Like I said, I'd love to be able to throw a WTB saddle and a couple bottle cages on it and be ready to rock!
One more warning: the saddle you ride off-road may not be the best bet on the road.

Different pressure points and more sitting and spinning.

I've got an SST-K on my mtn bike and Antares on all the road-based bikes.

M
Old 03-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #27823
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,980
Quote:
One more warning: the saddle you ride off-road may not be the best bet on the road.

Different pressure points and more sitting and spinning.
True, but I did switch my WTB mtb saddle over to the Roubaix last May for my (once a year) century. I worked better than any of the road saddles I demoed. Thanks for the reminder, I gotta start demoing some more road saddles before the next 3 State Century in 7 weeks. Haven't been on a road bike since October.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #27824
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,873
Dammit!
Now, I want to haul my Roubaix back out here.

The composite design tech in bicycle frames is very cool. Having been involved in more than a few CF designs for other activities THIS stuff gets my motor running.

It seems like every time I go into my LBS Chris hands me a new lighter frame either road or mtb. Blows me away.

definitely need to tear down the Pinarello and get it out of the garage. make room for something else.
Quote:
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #27825
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,815
Disc Brakes

Here's an easy one for you riders with disc brakes. Are they a quantum leap forward in terms of effectiveness when compared to conventional caliper brakes. So good, in fact, that stoppies can be achieved??

Or not....
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: