User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 311 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #27841
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
I'm lucky enough not to have fallen over with my clipless pedals yet but I've only ridden with them a couple times for short distances. I bet my time will come soon enough!

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #27842
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I'm lucky enough not to have fallen over with my clipless pedals yet but I've only ridden with them a couple times for short distances. I bet my time will come soon enough!
Oh yes, it will... even after 20 years of clipping in. Rolled up to the car after finishing a nice ride on my 39th birthday and fell over in the parking lot. Couldn't unclip due to losing a screw in the cleat, which meant the other screw held it firmly in the pedal.
That day I learned another of yet another application for blue Loctite.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #27843
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
So...got my clipless setup on my bikes today, never ridden clipless before, and was told get used to falling while learning...LOL everyone was right...i was fine till i tried to get technical, went 5 miles of mounting and dismounting no issue...decided to hop over a railroad tie that was used to block off a parking lot...and landed on my side with a bike stuck to me....LOL only injury is a bit of a bruise from landing on my keys in my pocket.

I can say however, you can build a good bit more speed with the clipless than the old school toe clips...both on my mtb and my roadie...hopefully i will be able to learn panic dismounts rather quickly....it sucks trying to clip out while on your back...LOL

It'll come naturally before you know it. That's not to say you won't have a brain fart now and then. Blue Loctite good stuff on cleats
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #27844
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
It'll come naturally before you know it. That's not to say you won't have a brain fart now and then. Blue Loctite good stuff on cleats
Haha im sure it will, just a bit different than i am used ti with the toe clips...gitta work on the twist out instead of straight back like my toe clips...but i can already tell theres a lot more power to be had with clipless...LOL
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #27845
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Thanks! Out to the peninsula this Saturday for 60/6500. Oh, the joys.
Be safe bud....
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #27846
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,057
Saw this pic and it reinforced 'where MCs come from.'

Lots of in this pic.

M
Old 03-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #27847
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
I can say however, you can build a good bit more speed with the clipless than the old school toe clips...both on my mtb and my roadie...hopefully i will be able to learn panic dismounts rather quickly....it sucks trying to clip out while on your back...LOL
Some dismounts happen so quickly that no amount of training will allow you to unclip in time. I've seen very experienced racers being flung down the road with their bikes still attached to them, and I've also seen it happen on the trails.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #27848
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Some dismounts happen so quickly that no amount of training will allow you to unclip in time. I've seen very experienced racers being flung down the road with their bikes still attached to them, and I've also seen it happen on the trails.
On the flip side of that are the times when muscle memory allows you to unclip in situations you wouldn't expect.

Like hopping over your handlebars as the bike is endo-ing.

BTDT

Get used to riding the clipless pedals and at some point you don't have to think about it any more.

M
Old 03-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #27849
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,543

I only have one bicycle right now that *isn't* clipped, and that's the bike I ride four blocks to work. Everything else I clip into. I love the power.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #27850
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post

I only have one bicycle right now that *isn't* clipped, and that's the bike I ride four blocks to work. Everything else I clip into. I love the power.
On crazy climbs, I like to be able to fire my glutes and hamstrings and pull up. When my quads start screaming just a couple minutes of that can give them a bit of rest and they recover to usefulness again.

If I could ever get my push down/pull up at the same time technique down, I'd be a much stronger rider.

I saw this crank set called something like PowrCranks or similar that would be great for that. The cranks operate independently, so you have to get used to full circle effort on each leg. It probably wouldn't take long to be able to evenly apply force all the way around.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #27851
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
On crazy climbs, I like to be able to fire my glutes and hamstrings and pull up. When my quads start screaming just a couple minutes of that can give them a bit of rest and they recover to usefulness again.

If I could ever get my push down/pull up at the same time technique down, I'd be a much stronger rider.

I saw this crank set called something like PowrCranks or similar that would be great for that. The cranks operate independently, so you have to get used to full circle effort on each leg. It probably wouldn't take long to be able to evenly apply force all the way around.
Power Cranks: http://www.powercranks.com/

Curious stuff, I can see how it would help you balance your muscles in each leg.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #27852
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,060
Got out on the Roubaix today for the first road ride of the year. Last time was October, 14. Wobbled around for a mile or so before feeling comfy on the bike and getting used to the slick shifting SRAM stuff again. Knocked out 26 miles at a 19.9mph avg, which ain't too shabby considering the Garmin is notoriously on the slow side of accurate. I'll take it.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #27853
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 48,346
I don't visit here often but it's nice to see that most of the regulars are still going strong and staying dedicated to their bicycles.

Our little M/B group is still going strong.

Wilder Park Santa Cruz

Tomorrow is Demonstration forest Santa Cruz

I'm not one of the faster down-hillers in our group but that 29er can sure climb.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #27854
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Got out on the Roubaix today for the first road ride of the year. Last time was October, 14. Wobbled around for a mile or so before feeling comfy on the bike and getting used to the slick shifting SRAM stuff again. Knocked out 26 miles at a 19.9mph avg, which ain't too shabby considering the Garmin is notoriously on the slow side of accurate. I'll take it.

I commuted yesterday on my Roubaix for the first time since DST ended last year. Rough start included throwing the chain while leaving an intersection, which spun the cranks and bashed my ankle. Naturally, that caused me to slip forward and come down hard on the nose of the seat, which tilted it down about 30deg. Stopped a block later to fix that. Then about 2 miles into the ride, I dropped the bottle after taking a drink and when I stopped, I saw it had gone into a storm drain. Went back and took a look and it was stuck on a ridge of mud just a few inches inside the drain. Grabbed it and continued to work with no further trouble.

Then leaving the parking lot at work, the arm that comes down after cars exit (which usually stays up from 5-7pm) tried to take my head off while I was leaving the driveway. I threw my body forward and accelerated to clear it and bashed my face into my GoPro. That opened up a nice 3/4" gash in my upper lip, which bled most of the way home. My gloves looked like I wore them through a slaughterhouse.

Note to cyclists: If you want auto commuters to give you a wide berth, smear blood all over your face and your gloves. They give you plenty of room for some reason.

What a ride...
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #27855
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,103
Ouch! Quite the adventure start to the season.
I will get to see my Roubaix in about seven hours. But, zero time to ride while I'm home. I need to work on the motorcycle and get it up to snuff, then some plumbing work on the house.

I think I'm in good waterbottle practice as I use one at work, and have only dropped it once at my desk.
The peleton sprinted in a feed zone I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post

I commuted yesterday on my Roubaix for the first time since DST ended last year. Rough start included throwing the chain while leaving an intersection, which spun the cranks and bashed my ankle. Naturally, that caused me to slip forward and come down hard on the nose of the seat, which tilted it down about 30deg. Stopped a block later to fix that. Then about 2 miles into the ride, I dropped the bottle after taking a drink and when I stopped, I saw it had gone into a storm drain. Went back and took a look and it was stuck on a ridge of mud just a few inches inside the drain. Grabbed it and continued to work with no further trouble.

Then leaving the parking lot at work, the arm that comes down after cars exit (which usually stays up from 5-7pm) tried to take my head off while I was leaving the driveway. I threw my body forward and accelerated to clear it and bashed my face into my GoPro. That opened up a nice 3/4" gash in my upper lip, which bled most of the way home. My gloves looked like I wore them through a slaughterhouse.

Note to cyclists: If you want auto commuters to give you a wide berth, smear blood all over your face and your gloves. They give you plenty of room for some reason.

What a ride...
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: