Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 294 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #27946
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Interesting concept. I guess the width of the lane would be determined by how high up you mount the light.
that vendor, superbrightleds.com, is totally legit. fast service, good products, good customer support, great prices. I've replaced the dim dome lights in my 20 year old volvo with their drop-in compatible LEDs, they rock.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #27947
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Interesting that lights come up now...i am looking at several cree xm-l t6 bike lights on ebay right now....LOL
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #27948
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
that vendor, superbrightleds.com, is totally legit. fast service, good products, good customer support, great prices. I've replaced the dim dome lights in my 20 year old volvo with their drop-in compatible LEDs, they rock.
Good to know. Thanks, pierce.

I'll keep them in mind when it comes time to replace bulbs in my car/truck/bike.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #27949
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
Interesting that lights come up now...i am looking at several cree xm-l t6 bike lights on ebay right now....LOL
I have one of those, a cheap copy of a Magicshine (looks like it was bounced out the back door of the same factory hah!). the advertised brightness is ridiculous, but its so damn bright at half that that it really doesn't matter. the beam was too focused and round stock, so I put the horizontal diffuser that actionled's sells (meant for the real magicshine) on it, this required a different thickness o-ring which I've not yet 100% sorted out.

anyways, this light on LOW is too damn bright to use in town, its like a car low beam but without the clean cut-off so there's tons of glare. would be awesome for doing stupid things like bombing mountain downhills solo in total darkness.

the rechargable battery it comes with lasts for some ridiculously long number of hours on the low setting, and way plenty long on high.

if I was using this on a commuter bike, I'd want an alternate less bright light like a 130lumen for not blinding people.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #27950
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,973
Quote:
I have one of those, a cheap copy of a Magicshine (looks like it was bounced out the back door of the same factory hah!). the advertised brightness is ridiculous, but its so damn bright at half that that it really doesn't matter. the beam was too focused and round stock, so I put the horizontal diffuser that actionled's sells (meant for the real magicshine) on it, this required a different thickness o-ring which I've not yet 100% sorted out.

anyways, this light on LOW is too damn bright to use in town, its like a car low beam but without the clean cut-off so there's tons of glare. would be awesome for doing stupid things like bombing mountain downhills solo in total darkness.

the rechargable battery it comes with lasts for some ridiculously long number of hours on the low setting, and way plenty long on high.

if I was using this on a commuter bike, I'd want an alternate less bright light like a 130lumen for not blinding people.
I don't remember if you ordered yours first or if I did. BRIGHT light. Low is plenty for off-roading at night. (thinking about it, I think you got yours first)

I got mine for $40 + shipping from china. Its probably not the best thing on the market, but for what I do with it (cross rides on gravel roads at night) its more than adequate.

M
Old 03-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #27951
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I don't remember if you ordered yours first or if I did. BRIGHT light. Low is plenty for off-roading at night. (thinking about it, I think you got yours first)

I got mine for $40 + shipping from china. Its probably not the best thing on the market, but for what I do with it (cross rides on gravel roads at night) its more than adequate.

M
the history is all back in this thread somewhere, hah. the mind is aware, but the body forgets, or something like that. maybe its the other way around, the body is aware, but the mind forgets?
Old 03-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #27952
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
the history is all back in this thread somewhere, hah. the mind is aware, but the body forgets, or something like that. maybe its the other way around, the body is aware, but the mind forgets?
I picked one of those clones up as well. It's BRIGHT. I found these o-rings

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and figured I'd give 'em a shot with the spreader lens. Haven't had a chance to install it yet, but I'll let you all know the results.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #27953
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,622
So I just got notification yesterday that one of my teammates has entered us in the BURN 24 hour race this year... oh boy.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #27954
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 866
Went for a quick CX ride yesterday after work. I decided to wear my new MTB helmet to test it out, a Kali Chakra Plus (I kept the visor on for extra dork points!). It was only $50 from my LBS and is way nicer than my old Bell from Walmart. It moves around less and feels lighter than the Laser Helium I normally wear for drop-bar duty. Also, I normally wear a XL/XXL in just about any head gear, but fit easily into a M/L Chakra. If you're in the market, this is a nice lid for the money (IMHO).
Old 03-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #27955
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Well thats precisely what i want...a stupid bright light... The advertized output from the seller i am looking at is 1000 lumens, which, after a good bit of investigation of volt/amps comparisons seems to be fairly accurate for a t6 xm-l lamp driven at roughly 3a...it is about at the max of what it can produce, but it is capable of it...

And i want it for bombing the forest after dark, mostly in the fall when its still warmish, but gets dark by 8....and to piss people off in town....LOL
Old 03-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #27956
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oh and anyone have a link to the diffuser lenses?
Old 03-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #27957
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Oh and anyone have a link to the diffuser lenses?
This is the one I picked up:

http://www.action-led-lights.com/col...ide-angle-lens
Old 03-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #27958
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,248
Quote:
Yep. I've used their stuff, on two of my motorcycles. They're only ~100mi, from me.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #27959
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,973
Quote:
Well thats precisely what i want...a stupid bright light... The advertized output from the seller i am looking at is 1000 lumens, which, after a good bit of investigation of volt/amps comparisons seems to be fairly accurate for a t6 xm-l lamp driven at roughly 3a...it is about at the max of what it can produce, but it is capable of it...

And i want it for bombing the forest after dark, mostly in the fall when its still warmish, but gets dark by 8....and to piss people off in town....LOL
I think you'd better go look at the lights section in MTBR before you believe the 'manufacturer' of that light. I seem to recall someone that knows a bit about the LED used to make the light saying max 600-800 lumens.

I don't particularly care 'cause its bright enough to mtn bike at night by, so more lumens than that is wasted. I use it on my bars as my only light.

M
Old 03-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #27960
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Awesome!!! Thanks for the link!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: