User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 321 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #27961
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,855
I think it was me who got the MagicShine version of the knockoff that Gummee! bought

Yeah, on the highest setting the glare off of passing trees will blind you if you look at the tree. I love it!

Funny story... I was out riding this winter one night, and kept seeing these blue lights in the forest. I had no idea what they were. After a while I noticed the lights were moving around, and then finally realized as I got pretty close that they were the headlights of 3 different people. These lights had to have been 10 dollar "bike lights" from Wal-Mart

My one light was easily 3 times as bright as all three of their's together

(It also explains why I caught up to them. I am slow, but they couldn't see where they were going...)
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #27962
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,310
Wink It's not the rider, it's the bike

I just got back from a local trail where a few racers have established a 10 lap challenge in preparation for some upcoming races. The challenge is simply to complete 10 laps in under 1 hour. The last time I did 10 laps out there, I could manage no better than 1 hour, 20 minutes. This time, I did it in only 1 hour, 4.4 minutes. The difference? Not the weather. Though temps are starting to climb, it's still pretty cool out. Cool enough for me not to have to carry a water bottle or Camelbak. Not the rider, either. I've been slacking off for the last two weeks, so I'm probably in worse physical shape than when I did it the first time.

I didn't feel particularly fast out there, so I was very surprised when I saw the numbers. Most noticeable was the fact that instead of slowing down with each lap, my speed actually increased slightly. This is probably because I memorized more and more of the trail with each lap, and picked better and better lines as a result. It's interesting too, that while I deliberately picked a speed that I knew I could sustain pretty much indefinitely, my average speed for each of the 10 laps is close to what had been my personal 1 lap record several months ago.

I don't know what else could account for such a dramatic improvement other than the bike. The Epic S-Works is not only significantly lighter than my previous 29er, it also corners more quickly and with much less effort, which really boosts rider confidence in the trickier technical sections. The XX1 drivetrain puts me in the right gear every time, whereas the 3x10 setup on my previous bike sometimes required two shifts before I found the right gear.

It will be interesting to compare my Strava times in the next few weeks to my past records, to see if today's result was a fluke or whether it stays consistent.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #27963
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Congrats!

Having fun, getting a good workout, becoming more efficient. That is what it is all about!
Old 03-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #27964
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Congrats!

Having fun, getting a good workout, becoming more efficient. That is what it is all about!
I just found out that a group of female racers are going out there today at 5:00 to do the 10 lap challenge. I'd better get out there to make sure none of them beat my Strava times.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #27965
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I just found out that a group of female racers are going out there today at 5:00 to do the 10 lap challenge. I'd better get out there to make sure none of them beat my Strava times.
HAHA! Yeah, that is why you are going

On a related note... My wife wanted to go MTBing with me last week. Her words in the middle of the first turn, and full 7 feet into the trail, "How do you do this?!?"

After about a mile, "Ok, I see why you like this now."

And to bring it back to the female racers... There are two reasons I let my wife go in front of me on the ride, and only one has anything to do with riding a bike
Old 03-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #27966
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I think you'd better go look at the lights section in MTBR before you believe the 'manufacturer' of that light. I seem to recall someone that knows a bit about the LED used to make the light saying max 600-800 lumens.

I don't particularly care 'cause its bright enough to mtn bike at night by, so more lumens than that is wasted. I use it on my bars as my only light.

M
According to my research, the cree xml t6 LED is CAPABLE of ~1300 lumens, but it is very inneficient, and runs very hot at anything past 1100...and that came from tech sheets and flashlight building forums...LOL
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #27967
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,100
I went 2 for 2 on my 'blinky recovery ride' today. Ya see, I'd lost my blinky light on Wed. I was pretty sure I knew where it was and sure nuff! I was right within about 10m.

One of my riding buddies had lost the cover to his mid-90s VistaLight blinky too. I had a pretty good idea where that one was too, so instead of stopping where I found mine, I kept going up and over Busthead Rd to Rock Hill Mill Rd to where I thought he'd lost his. Yup. Bout where I thougth *that* one would be too!

So right at 3:45 of half dirt roads and half paved roads. Out-n-back. I had 'I fought the head wind and the head wind won' going thru my head on the way out. But man oh man was the tailwind getting back nice.

I've got an undoGly early wakeup tomorrow so I can drive down to Wintergreen to help out and ride the Devil's Backbone ride. Wish me luck.

M
Old 03-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #27968
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
HAHA! Yeah, that is why you are going

On a related note... My wife wanted to go MTBing with me last week. Her words in the middle of the first turn, and full 7 feet into the trail, "How do you do this?!?"

After about a mile, "Ok, I see why you like this now."

And to bring it back to the female racers... There are two reasons I let my wife go in front of me on the ride, and only one has anything to do with riding a bike
Well, I just got back. It started raining just as we started on our second lap, so that put an abrupt end to the festivities. Good thing too, 'cause these women were insanely fast! We were flying around the turns at speeds I've never seen before, and I've ridden with some pretty fast riders. I had no idea that our tires had that much traction on dirt, but I didn't slide out once. By some miracle I managed to follow their lines and kept up with them for half a lap, at which point they began to slowly pull away. I put my bike up on the car rack just as it started to rain, but there was no sign of the women. For all I know, they may still be out there doing laps.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #27969
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I could manage no better than 1 hour, 20 minutes. This time, I did it in only 1 hour, 4.4 minutes.
Keep hammerin', dude!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #27970
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,282
I've been needing new tires and had planned on Conti Country Plus. An LBS was willing to order in a set, with no obligation to buy, because I was concerned they'd be less than advertised width. I chose 37mm and they measured ~32mm. I refused them and told him to let me know when he was placing another order and I'd go with 42mm. But, I never heard from him and had been in there since and saw that all three sets of 37mm he ordered had sold through. A different LBS advertised these new, 2013 Conti Speed Ride in 42mm, on their FB page and being advertised by Conti as a gravel tire. I dropped in there and picked up a set. Mounted on my ETRTO 622X16mm 'cross rims, they measured out 37.2mm, which is exactly what I wanted. Seems Conti's ATB line end up ~5mm narrower than advertised, as I've tried 3 different Conti ATB tires and all three were about the same width narrower. I haven't ridden these yet, but, soon will. I've got prior obligations, the next few days.

ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #27971
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I've been needing new tires and had planned on Conti Country Plus. An LBS was willing to order in a set, with no obligation to buy, because I was concerned they'd be less than advertised width. I chose 37mm and they measured ~32mm. I refused them and told him to let me know when he was placing another order and I'd go with 42mm. But, I never heard from him and had been in there since and saw that all three sets of 37mm he ordered had sold through. A different LBS advertised these new, 2013 Conti Speed Ride in 42mm, on their FB page and being advertised by Conti as a gravel tire. I dropped in there and picked up a set. Mounted on my ETRTO 622X16mm 'cross rims, they measured out 37.2mm, which is exactly what I wanted. Seems Conti's ATB line end up ~5mm narrower than advertised, as I've tried 3 different Conti ATB tires and all three were about the same width narrower. I haven't ridden these yet, but, soon will. I've got prior obligations, the next few days.

That tread pattern looks a lot like the Tufo tubulars I'm riding. Should do OK till it gets wet.

M
Old 03-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #27972
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Keep hammerin', dude!
I just saw on Facebook that the girl racers posted a record 10 lap time of 1:02:11. Two minutes faster than me.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #27973
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

on a tear about today's race: read me

M
Old 03-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #27974
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 868
Quote:

These look just like the Conti Cyclocross Speed, but it appears the Speed Ride is more puncture resistance. I've been thinking about a set of tires suited for dirt, gravel and pavement and these look pretty good. My LBS owner has been running Clement X'plor USH with good luck, but they're a bit pricey. I like the look of the Clement LAS, but they're only available in 33 mm and seem too light to be durable. Decisions, decisions.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #27975
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
On the tire topic... I just got the deal of the century off ebay...seller had an auction for 2 700x25c duro road tires, black/blue/gray for $30...decent deal....so i got em, they show up, ones a 23c...send a message to the seller, they appologise profusely, and inform me that that was the last pair they had of the discontinued black/blue/gray...would it be ok of they sent a set of black/blue instead? Yeah...oh and you can keep the other tires, sorry for the mix up....

So... $30 for all this

bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: