Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 203 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #27976
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,465
Beautiful morning in PHX

Out the door at 0600 to meet the Phoenix Metro Bicycle Club for the "Lucky 7" Saturday morning ride.

I stopped at McDonald's for a quick breakfast and then made my way to the meeting place.

This group is an older mix of people. I'm guessing the older riders are well into their 70's and in the fast group, the average age is well over 55.

I don't have a GPS - I returned mine to Garmin for a warranty replacement but the speeds were easily pushing 25 at times with 21 cruising. The temps were spectacular - low 50's at the start and low 70's at the end. Traffic played nice - no real issues. I did see Chandler PD with an older driver and a small group of cyclists. Something happened but I didn't see anyone down. I'm not sure if these riders were with our group which, at the start, easily numbered 75.

When we crossed I-10 onto the reservation, the lead rider was a little confused on the route but this is my home area so I jumped the front. I decided to put the hammer down for a few miles and only one other guy jumped on my wheel. We were easily doing 29-30 which is where most riders in our group will drop off but this guy hung tough. Props to him! When we stopped at Pecos/48th, I told him I was turning off since this was only 4 miles from my house.

I turned onto Pecos and caught another rider who was riding at about 18 mph. There was traffic behind us so I didn't pass him. There was an intersection coming up that's a T-intersection. The car behind us slowed for a right but some inexplicable reason, decided to pass us only to almost right-hook us. SOB - what gets into people? Both of us yelled at the driver.

From there, I dropped the other guy and finished up my ride...almost 60 miles before 10 am. No GPS so there's no data but it was a pretty good ride and the weather is a pure 10 out of 10.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #27977
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,523
Sounds like a great morning ride. The weather here the last few days has been stellar.

Where do you all normally meet? If I end up having to stay here the rest of the year. I am bring my bike over.

I'm at Happy Valley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Out the door at 0600 to meet the Phoenix Metro Bicycle Club for the "Lucky 7" Saturday morning ride.

I stopped at McDonald's for a quick breakfast and then made my way to the meeting place.

This group is an older mix of people. I'm guessing the older riders are well into their 70's and in the fast group, the average age is well over 55.

I don't have a GPS - I returned mine to Garmin for a warranty replacement but the speeds were easily pushing 25 at times with 21 cruising. The temps were spectacular - low 50's at the start and low 70's at the end. Traffic played nice - no real issues. I did see Chandler PD with an older driver and a small group of cyclists. Something happened but I didn't see anyone down. I'm not sure if these riders were with our group which, at the start, easily numbered 75.

When we crossed I-10 onto the reservation, the lead rider was a little confused on the route but this is my home area so I jumped the front. I decided to put the hammer down for a few miles and only one other guy jumped on my wheel. We were easily doing 29-30 which is where most riders in our group will drop off but this guy hung tough. Props to him! When we stopped at Pecos/48th, I told him I was turning off since this was only 4 miles from my house.

I turned onto Pecos and caught another rider who was riding at about 18 mph. There was traffic behind us so I didn't pass him. There was an intersection coming up that's a T-intersection. The car behind us slowed for a right but some inexplicable reason, decided to pass us only to almost right-hook us. SOB - what gets into people? Both of us yelled at the driver.

From there, I dropped the other guy and finished up my ride...almost 60 miles before 10 am. No GPS so there's no data but it was a pretty good ride and the weather is a pure 10 out of 10.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #27978
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,646
Had a bruise on the bottom of my foot for the past two weeks. First test ride today; 1/2 hour of intervals around Druid Lake Park. Not bad. Things are looking up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #27979
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Took the mtb out today for a good 15mi mixed road/mud ride...stayed off the bike trails, but did ride some horse trail...LOL

bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #27980
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Sounds like a great morning ride. The weather here the last few days has been stellar.

Where do you all normally meet? If I end up having to stay here the rest of the year. I am bring my bike over.

I'm at Happy Valley.
Dick, here's the club site: http://www.pmbcaz.org/

We meet at Kiwanis Park just off of Guadalupe in Tempe.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #27981
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
thats the one.

as I said, that lens will be a little loose with the stock o-ring... and the local hardware stores don't have one thats just right... I have one in there right now thats a little too thick, but its good enough.

action was going to get some to fit the clone lights, dunno if they ever did. they told me I could cut a ring from a plastic milk jug or something and use that as a spacer too, but I never tried.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #27982
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I think you'd better go look at the lights section in MTBR before you believe the 'manufacturer' of that light. I seem to recall someone that knows a bit about the LED used to make the light saying max 600-800 lumens.

I don't particularly care 'cause its bright enough to mtn bike at night by, so more lumens than that is wasted. I use it on my bars as my only light.

M
yeah, exactly. 600-800 is way freekin bright, a car 9004 halogen low beam is about 700 lumens total, and these car lights have more light concentrated out front and less splash to the sides. I'd say its easily as bright as the stock H4 for my BMW...

btw, the tail cap is a green/blue/red LED, hah. its green when its over 75% charge, blue if its over 50% and red below 30% and blinking red somewhere below that. I forget how many hours I got on its lower setting but it was like 10 hours before solid red. the light stays pretty much constant brightness.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #27983
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
These look just like the Conti Cyclocross Speed, but it appears the Speed Ride is more puncture resistance. I've been thinking about a set of tires suited for dirt, gravel and pavement and these look pretty good. My LBS owner has been running Clement X'plor USH with good luck, but they're a bit pricey. I like the look of the Clement LAS, but they're only available in 33 mm and seem too light to be durable. Decisions, decisions.
those cyclocross tires tend to have soft tread, if you do many miles of pavement they will wear down pretty fast til they are no good for offroad.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #27984
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,132
Quote:
These look just like the Conti Cyclocross Speed, but it appears the Speed Ride is more puncture resistance. I've been thinking about a set of tires suited for dirt, gravel and pavement and these look pretty good. My LBS owner has been running Clement X'plor USH with good luck, but they're a bit pricey. I like the look of the Clement LAS, but they're only available in 33 mm and seem too light to be durable. Decisions, decisions.
In addition to the Conti Country Plus, I'd been looking at the Clement X'Plor MSO. But, I wanted to see 'em before I bought 'em.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #27985
OHtard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Been running the griffo challenge xs tires, and really like them.
OHtard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #27986
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Aaaaaannnd I'm spent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHtard View Post
Been running the griffo challenge xs tires, and really like them.
Those look really nice, but I'm too lazy and cheap for tubulars.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #27987
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,559
I went for a little ride yesterday AM. 27mi. 4200'ish feet of climbing. 2:12 on the bike.

Ugh. After Friday's ride my legs were dead. Last time I went up the long gravel climb I was spinning. This time? Pound pound pound at a lower cadence than I prefer to ride.

Reed's Gap wasn't as bad as last year. The top section is still STEEP with a capital STEEP! I heard one rider saying her GPS was telling her 28-30% in sections. Managed to get up all the hills without stopping (last year) or walking (lots of other people).

If you come do DBB, remember short does NOT equal easy.

2:20ish today of Small Ring Sunday. Supposed to snow, so I went out early and missed the race. Oh well. Its better for me to ride than sit on the couch eating bon-bons and reading a book.

M
Old 03-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #27988
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
25 miles today. In the upper 20s and, trying to be positive, frozen mud rides pretty well as long as it's not too rutted, and it doesn't get the bike dirty...

Hopefully, next week this road will be an unridable mess.

2whl-hoop screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 10:49 AM
2whl-hoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #27989
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Sturmey has the longest history, but I don't think you can really go wrong any direction you go.

My $.02

M

Internal 3 speed w/drum brakes, ordered Wheelsmith spokes and nipples, which I'll lace up to some 26" DH hoops.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #27990
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
I went for a little ride yesterday AM. 27mi. 4200'ish feet of climbing. 2:12 on the bike.

Ugh. After Friday's ride my legs were dead. Last time I went up the long gravel climb I was spinning. This time? Pound pound pound at a lower cadence than I prefer to ride.

Reed's Gap wasn't as bad as last year. The top section is still STEEP with a capital STEEP! I heard one rider saying her GPS was telling her 28-30% in sections. Managed to get up all the hills without stopping (last year) or walking (lots of other people).

If you come do DBB, remember short does NOT equal easy.

2:20ish today of Small Ring Sunday. Supposed to snow, so I went out early and missed the race. Oh well. Its better for me to ride than sit on the couch eating bon-bons and reading a book.

M
That be some climbing. Also, never underestimate the curative powers of bon-bons.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: