User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 237 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #28006
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,699
Unless you work a lot of overtime with a long commute. Then it gets a bit harder.
I won't let that happen again. A slow crappy run tonight but it felt good.
Looking forward to some seat time on the ROubaix in the near future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
The thing about SoCal is its easy to stay in pretty darn good shape year round. There's really no such thing as 'winter' so there's really no such thing as an 'off-season.' AMHIK

Its varying states of 'fast' or 'faster.'

M
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #28007
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Sounds like some people I know

Wonder if he's got a strava page?

M
Old 03-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #28008
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,602
Quote:
The thing about SoCal is its easy to stay in pretty darn good shape year round. There's really no such thing as 'winter' so there's really no such thing as an 'off-season.' AMHIK

Its varying states of 'fast' or 'faster.'

M
The rider who took the video is a damn fast rider. I'm sure *she* surprised a lot of guys at the crit.

"Big Red Rides"
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:26 AM   #28009
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Y'all might enjoy this. This rider is from FL and flew out to LA to do some riding. One of the guys took the rider to his Thursday night crit that's kind of a local thing.
Jeebus, that kind of racing is scary enough in broad daylight, let alone at night.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:40 AM   #28010
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Jeebus, that kind of racing is scary enough in broad daylight, let alone at night.
If you know what you're doing it isn't scary at all. Lots of fun actually.

M
Old 03-26-2013, 06:07 AM   #28011
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Wow! An oldie!

From the first bike boom.

M
Old 03-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #28012
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

But perhaps most interesting is a queue jump, which is a signal specific for bikes, allowing them a head start to go in front of traffic. This will be installed at 15th and Lawrence and gives cyclists an opportunity to move from the left side to the right side of 15th Street.

From the Denver PostWonder how the mouth-breathing idiots are going to take this?

M
Old 03-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #28013
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
I think the fact that Kristy showed most of the video at twice the normal speed and that the camera doesn't show the available light as well on the recording makes it seem darker than it really was.

If you ever get a chance, a great night race is the Twilight Criterium in Athens GA.

They used to vary the format for some of the races - IIRC, one year, they did a "win-and-out" on every other lap after a prerequisite number of laps. Big fun since every other lap was a sprint to the finish.

It's only a few weeks away and it was always worth the drive over to watch.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #28014
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I think the fact that Kristy showed most of the video at twice the normal speed and that the camera doesn't show the available light as well on the recording makes it seem darker than it really was.

If you ever get a chance, a great night race is the Twilight Criterium in Athens GA.

They used to vary the format for some of the races - IIRC, one year, they did a "win-and-out" on every other lap after a prerequisite number of laps. Big fun since every other lap was a sprint to the finish.

It's only a few weeks away and it was always worth the drive over to watch.
Unfortunately night riding is out of the question for me because I suffer from night blindness.

By the way, what was Kristy riding in that video?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #28015
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Unfortunately night riding is out of the question for me because I suffer from night blindness.

Get a cree xml t6 light....LOL supposed to be stupid bright... I have one on the way...LOL
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #28016
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:

Sorry to hear that. I love riding at night - not so much from 8 pm to midnight but rather from midnight onward. Not so much traffic.

Yep - Kristy Halvorsen. She's a big strong lady out of south Florida. I don't think she's been riding recumbents very long but she's already a force to contend with in cycling. I suspect we'll see her on RAAM soon.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #28017
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:
If you know what you're doing it isn't scary at all. Lots of fun actually.

M
Agreed... it only gets sketchy when the rain first starts falling. After the oils wash off the surface, it's game on.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #28018
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,271
Just saw that Surly makes an XXL Moonlander that I'd probably fit on better than any road bike, and have more fun with during mud season and winter.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #28019
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. I love riding at night - not so much from 8 pm to midnight but rather from midnight onward. Not so much traffic.
With an hour of additional daylight, I'm thinking of doing my 'maintenance' rides in the evening. Trouble is that by the time I get out there, I've only got about 1 hour of light, which means I need to stay close to home. It would be great if they'd put lights on the paved bicycle trails, but I doubt that's ever going to happen. I'll see if a LBS can let me try out one of their bike lights to see if it would solve my problem.

Quote:
Yep - Kristy Halvorsen. She's a big strong lady out of south Florida. I don't think she's been riding recumbents very long but she's already a force to contend with in cycling. I suspect we'll see her on RAAM soon.
What kind of recumbent was she riding? Are there recumbents made specially for racing?
Old 03-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #28020
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,699
Is that road open?
If it is open, I take it this is not a sanctioned event. Looks fast and scary.

Quote:
Y'all might enjoy this. This rider is from FL and flew out to LA to do some riding. One of the guys took the rider to his Thursday night crit that's kind of a local thing.

From FB:
Here 's a video I took with my GoPro while riding the Los Angeles Thursday night crit a couple weeks ago. It was a cold & rainy night, so only about 40 riders showed up whereas usually there are 80+ including a lot of local Pros. There were a couple pros there that night, as well as many other excellent riders. What's interesting is bents are welcomed there- very nice folks!

In this one you ride for 50 minutes, then 5 more laps (there's a blinking light on top of a parked car that flashes when 50 minutes are up)
We need something like this in SW FL!

The video is pretty enjoyable. Two of the riders mentioned are Rahaan Bahati and another is Justin Williams.
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: