Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 312 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #28021
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Just saw that Surly makes an XXL Moonlander that I'd probably fit on better than any road bike, and have more fun with during mud season and winter.
They are fun! Like driving a monster truck fun. I LOVE my Mukluk, but it is not fast, or agile, or light, or, or ,or.......

They are fun though.
mud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #28022
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Is that road open?
If it is open, I take it this is not a sanctioned event. Looks fast and scary.
It's simply a practice ride/event.... you might even call it an underground race that's a regular Thursday night event in Long Beach. Looks like a hell of an opportunity to ride with advanced riders all the way up to local pro's. If it were me, I'd be happy just hanging off the back, if that's even possible, and not get in anyone's way.

JV mentioned on the video is Jim Verheul - Jim holds the UMCA 24hr overall course record holder at 523.9 miles. That's just over 21 mph every hour for 24 hours straight.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #28023
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
What kind of recumbent was she riding? Are there recumbents made specially for racing?
Kind of - it's a Bacchetta CA 2 - carbon stick-frame. Nothing too fancy - less than $5,000. Most CA 2 riders will run deeper wheels front, discs on the rear but I'm not sure what wheels she's using.

It's the same bike I use for my brevets. Nice, light (within reason), stiff.

k7 screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 01:56 PM
Old 03-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #28024
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Kind of - it's a Bacchetta CA 2 - carbon stick-frame. Nothing too fancy - less than $5,000. Most CA 2 riders will run deeper wheels front, discs on the rear but I'm not sure what wheels she's using.

It's the same bike I use for my brevets. Nice, light (within reason), stiff.
Odd looking thing. It almost makes it look like you're pedaling uphill.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #28025
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,060
3:46 on the road. Was only supposed to do 3:00 but since the Haymarket ride's only doing one lap these days, I'm gonna come up short on the day. This way, the hours will work out this week.

I did a loop down to Summerduck and back. Didya know that you can be riding into a sidewind from your left, turn right, and STILL have a sidewind?

Last 20-30min were the only time in the ride I had anything other than a really strong side- or head-wind for the entire farging ride.

Hopefully I didn't kill my legs for tomorrow nite. Something tells me that Sat took more out of me than I thought. Legs are somewhat less than stellar at the moment.

M
Old 03-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #28026
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Odd looking thing. It almost makes it look like you're pedaling uphill.
The position takes only a bit of getting used to and then one day, you don't notice that your feet are a bit elevated. The rest is pure comfort. My hands, back, shoulders, etc don't hurt like they did when I rode a diamond-frame otherwise, I don't think I could do as much as 250 miles in a day. I'm just not that kind of rider.

This is pretty actually easy to understand. Other than comfort, the recumbent's main advantage is in aerodynamics. IMHO, unless it's purely uphill, one rider on a diamond-frame will be beaten by another rider on a recumbent assuming that they're matched physically.

This says it best:

Old 03-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #28027
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,852
Sad news in my neck of the woods.

Basically, a new toll road has been constructed the past few years around my town. As sections opened, bicyclists have used it for riding because it is only two lanes yet has huge shoulders, long sight lines, no intersections, gradual turns (long sight lines again), and relatively light traffic due to the road being built mainly for future anticipated growth and not current needs. However, the regional traffic authority has banned bicycles from the newest sections to open, or about 15-20 miles of the 30 mile total length.

The reasoning: the head of the board of the traffic authority says, "I will not let bicycles on the road until I know its safe."

I think this may get ugly. Even the head engineer said at the meeting that the road was designed and constructed with all federal regulations in mind, which include allowing bicycles. However, the regional authority is saying that by July the local bicycle club must come up with $60,000 for stripping the road and signs alerting other motorist Even then, it would only be on that one section of road that is allowed effective immediately.

Personally, I feel this is a blatant overstepping of their authority. Toll road or not, federal money is coming in, and with that all federal laws must be kept.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #28028
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,484
I've been riding diamond framed bicycle since the 80's, pedaled coast to coast twice when I was a teenager, raced on the road through my college years and few years beyond.

I started riding recumbent back in 2006, still have a few road bikes in the garage, but for pleasure type riding, there is no better ride.

Even for local competitive weekday training rides, I can easily stay with the group and sometimes take far longer pulls at the front and build up higher and higher speed to drop riders in the group, as long as the roads are flat.

I don't have high performance recumbent, actually, it's over 15 year old, only has 21-speed, 165 mm cranks and a 20"x 1.5 front tire with short wheelbase, not ideal for fast pavement rides.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #28029
mud
I just wander.....

I think I remember someone having a recumbent trike on here. I have a couple of questions.
I am thinking of getting one for my Dad, his balance is not real great.
How do you transport it?
How is it on normal width bike paths, rail to trail type? Is it too wide? or the width an issue?
Old 03-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #28030
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
First real ride on the Synapse today! We did a 30 mile loop that mostly followed the Mississippi.

Other than the saddle, I'm pretty happy with it. The riding position really suits me, no lower back pain and not too much weight on the wrists.

2whl-hoop screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 08:13 PM
2whl-hoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #28031
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
I think I remember someone having a recumbent trike on here. I have a couple of questions.
I am thinking of getting one for my Dad, his balance is not real great.
How do you transport it?
How is it on normal width bike paths, rail to trail type? Is it too wide? or the width an issue?

I put it in the back of my F250. Before that, I tied it (tires down) to the roof of the Taurus POS stationwagon we had. I haven't tried to stick it in my Honda Fit yet, but it's calling to me from the tarp I've got it wrapped in. I'll let you know how that goes. I need to get it out & ride it or sell it. I haven't touched in 18 months (too much fun with my CAAD9)

Width is not typically an issue. It's not...exactly...doubletrack, but paved MUP's shouldn't be a problem at all. Two trikes riding side by side or passing one another gets a little close, but they steer remarkably straight so it's usually not a problem.

If you get a tadpole config, warn your dad not to ride like a hooligan. You get a good head of steam going and yank the controls to one side and you *will* be up on two wheels. Ask me how I know. Also, if in that good head of steam he grabs both brakes real hard he will discover the 'ejector seat' feature most tadpoles are equipped with.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:51 AM   #28032
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,304
Oops!

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #28033
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post

I put it in the back of my F250. Before that, I tied it (tires down) to the roof of the Taurus POS stationwagon we had. I haven't tried to stick it in my Honda Fit yet, but it's calling to me from the tarp I've got it wrapped in. I'll let you know how that goes. I need to get it out & ride it or sell it. I haven't touched in 18 months (too much fun with my CAAD9)

Width is not typically an issue. It's not...exactly...doubletrack, but paved MUP's shouldn't be a problem at all. Two trikes riding side by side or passing one another gets a little close, but they steer remarkably straight so it's usually not a problem.

If you get a tadpole config, warn your dad not to ride like a hooligan. You get a good head of steam going and yank the controls to one side and you *will* be up on two wheels. Ask me how I know. Also, if in that good head of steam he grabs both brakes real hard he will discover the 'ejector seat' feature most tadpoles are equipped with.
Cool! Thanks for the info.
"ejector seat".....
Old 03-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #28034
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:
thats gonna leave a mark.

ouch
Old 03-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #28035
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,548
What's the consensus here on Nashbar bicycles? I'm thinking of recommending a complete bike for a mate.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: