Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 142 votes, 4.77 average. Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #28081
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by championsound View Post

Riding track teaches you how to pedal and gives you gobs of power to boot.
Agreed 100% but how many tracks are there in the US? Not many.

I've outsprinted other riders while seated as they were standing and flailing. About a decade of racing track'll do that.

M
Old 04-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #28082
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
yeesh, 650B wheels on a mountain bike? 26 (559) is too small, and 29er/700c (622) is too big, so we need 584mm rims?
yup.

Supposed to be the newest, bestest thing that's been re-discovered after being lost. First mtn bikes ever were evidently 650B bikes.

Me? I like the idea that there's not quite as many geometry compromises for us shorter guys.

M
Old 04-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #28083
championsound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

I've outsprinted other riders while seated as they were standing and flailing. About a decade of racing track'll do that.

M
You ever race in T-town PA? If so, I'll bet we've been to the same races.
championsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #28084
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by championsound View Post
You ever race in T-town PA? If so, I'll bet we've been to the same races.
Nope. T-Town is a heck of a drive from DC.

Raced SoCal primarily. Sandy Eggo and Encinas. Where the Home Depot track is now (Domingues Hills) was torn up most of the time I was racing and the new indoor track was finished right after I jacked up my back.

I'm not built to go up a hill. ...but the banking at the track?! I always tell people 'if the biggest hill I ever have to climb again is the banking at the velodrome, I'll be perfectly happy.' Not one person has really believed me.

M
Old 04-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #28085
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
If you listen closely, you can hear the sound of Aurelius peeling out of his driveway headed for the nearest Santa Cruz dealer.

All in good fun Aurelius!
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #28086
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Supposed to be the newest, bestest thing that's been re-discovered after being lost. First mtn bikes ever were evidently 650B bikes.
We sure didn't have any 650B stuff up on Mt Tamalpais in the early 1970s. All we had 26" fat tire, (hey, it was that or road bikes, with 27", or tubulars).

I had a couple 26" old gaspipe steel cruisers, some folks converted these with 5-speeds, but more frequently they were 1-speed with coaster brakes. Pretty soon loons like Ritchey were making their own 26" monsters, lighter, stronger, with gears and actual brakes. I never could afford anything like that.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #28087
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,223
Does anyone have any pointers on reducing lower back pain on MTB descents? I use attack position, elbows out, knees bent, but by the end of my descent my back is killing me. Would a slightly longer stem possibly help? I was thinking by stretching out a little further my back wouldn't be bent at such an angle. I'm starting to think my next MTB will be a longer, lower sprung 29er.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #28088
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
I would think a shorter stem, bringing the bars closer to you, so its not as much of a bend over to get to them, and gives you a bit more upright position... It seemed to help me out when i switched from a 120mm long stem to a 50mm stem.

Also, ride more...the pain is pointing out some weak muscles in your back...the more you ride, the stronger they will get.
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #28089
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
We sure didn't have any 650B stuff up on Mt Tamalpais in the early 1970s. All we had 26" fat tire, (hey, it was that or road bikes, with 27", or tubulars).

I had a couple 26" old gaspipe steel cruisers, some folks converted these with 5-speeds, but more frequently they were 1-speed with coaster brakes. Pretty soon loons like Ritchey were making their own 26" monsters, lighter, stronger, with gears and actual brakes. I never could afford anything like that.
I think it was Ritchey (or Fisher) who said in that movie (or an interview) about him that the some of first "mountain bikes" they made were 650B's. They quickly moved over to 26" because of availability.... Pretty sure there was an original Ritchey 650B at NAHBS this year.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:35 AM   #28090
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Does anyone have any pointers on reducing lower back pain on MTB descents? I use attack position, elbows out, knees bent, but by the end of my descent my back is killing me. Would a slightly longer stem possibly help? I was thinking by stretching out a little further my back wouldn't be bent at such an angle. I'm starting to think my next MTB will be a longer, lower sprung 29er.
The only thing that worked for me (mine was on my road bike though), was exercises, core exercises, not weights, just exercises. Riding more just made it more sore.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:39 AM   #28091
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
yeesh, 650B wheels on a mountain bike? 26 (559) is too small, and 29er/700c (622) is too big, so we need 584mm rims?
We have been sticking people under about 5'8" on 650B's for about 2 years for riders around here. We don't have any really technical stuff though, either flowy or legs-n-lungs.....
Old 04-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #28092
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,889
Quote:

M
The May, 2013 issue of Bicycling magazine has an interesting article on tracks in the USA. Snip: "Though the number fluctuates-and what constitutes being open is open to discussion-the United States has 30-50 velodromes." It's a worthwhile read.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #28093
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
The May, 2013 issue of Bicycling magazine has an interesting article on tracks in the USA. Snip: "Though the number fluctuates-and what constitutes being open is open to discussion-the United States has 30-50 velodromes." It's a worthwhile read.
Compared to the state-sponsored track programs in other countries, the US is woefully behind in the tracks/rider ratio. ...and we wonder why we keep getting our asses handed to us.

Take the mid-atlantic: 1 track in upper nowhere PA and one track an hour south of Charlotte. NOTHING in the middle. That's 10-12hrs of driving between em! Zero tracks in AZ. They gotta head to Sandy Eggo to do their State Championships. That's sad.

I still have almost all my track gearing, I just don't have a rear wheel or frame. One comes into being (yeah, right!) I'll be mostly ready.

M
Old 04-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #28094
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Sunday Sunday Sunday!
P-R link (cause its Vimeo and will auto-run)

M
Old 04-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #28095
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

22 bike themed beers:

To start:

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: