User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 239 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #28126
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,819
That is horrible! I have heard of this kind of thing happening before, and I can not fathom a situation that could arise in my life that would make me vandalize property.

Maybe I was raised right, or something

Can the bridges thrown into the creek be easily put back in place? They do not look torn up from the pictures. Also, the first picture is an easy fix, just need a box of nails and new cut-to-length 2x4s. Defiantly a bad thing to do, but not completely destroyed thankfully.

Unless of course reality is worse than the pictures show
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #28127
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
What a dick move. WTF is wrong with people?

Any ideas who it could have been?
Possibly, but nothing concrete yet. These pictures don't tell the full story because there are in fact many more bridges spread out over a distance of 1.5 miles that were destroyed. To go to those lengths is more than just a random act of vandalism; it suggests a deliberate effort to drive riders off the trail entirely.

What we need to do now is find out if any of the 60+ riders who use that trail had a dispute with someone - possibly one of the homeowners in that area - that was of a nature serious enough to trigger this sort of extreme response.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #28128
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Can the bridges thrown into the creek be easily put back in place? They do not look torn up from the pictures. Also, the first picture is an easy fix, just need a box of nails and new cut-to-length 2x4s. Defiantly a bad thing to do, but not completely destroyed thankfully.

Unless of course reality is worse than the pictures show
As I said in another post, these are just two of many bridges that were destroyed. We could of course rebuild them, but anyone determined enough to do this kind of damage the first time, could be counted on to do it again and again. I think their goal is pretty clear: they don't want riders using that trail, and they're prepared to go to extreme lengths to bring that about.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #28129
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,629
Fmtt

Wait a few weeks - then offer a nice reward. The guy who did it will talk and one of his buddies will turn him in for the reward.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #28130
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Man same stuff happening here... Someone shoveled out several large berms (like 20ft long and 4ft high and log reinforced) on the trials...not to mention some dipsh** rode a horse down all the trails when they were real muddy...now theres 6" deep hoof prints everywhere ... I would love to slap em upside the head for that crap....
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:40 AM   #28131
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
I came to the conclusion long ago that some people are just, well, cunts. They didn't get any love from their mummy or something so they go through live hating everything and everyone. All you can hope for is to not cross paths with assholes like that.

Sorry to hear about the trail - sounds like it was well-used. I really hope you get it rideable again real soon.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #28132
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I came to the conclusion long ago that some people are just, well, cunts. They didn't get any love from their mummy or something so they go through live hating everything and everyone. All you can hope for is to not cross paths with assholes like that.

Sorry to hear about the trail - sounds like it was well-used. I really hope you get it rideable again real soon.
We're having a work-day out there today to start repairing some of the damage. Apparently two bridges were rebuilt yesterday, since the trail was closed. Since the trail is now officially recognized by the county and is built on county owned land, it's now become a criminal matter, and the police are involved.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #28133
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
We're having a work-day out there today to start repairing some of the damage. Apparently two bridges were rebuilt yesterday, since the trail was closed. Since the trail is now officially recognized by the county and is built on county owned land, it's now become a criminal matter, and the police are involved.

I hope they catch the asshole(s) who did it.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #28134
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post

I hope they catch the asshole(s) who did it.
It appears that the asshole in question was nice enough to leave various clues as to his identity. Those printed pages you see lying on the ground wherever the bridges were destroyed are a message from him explaining his reasons for doing it. And he's taken the time to write messages by hand on a sign at the trail entrance. It's almost a certainty at this point that the perpetrator is someone who lives in one of the houses nearby, and who doesn't like bicyclists riding so close to his property. This is probably the same person who a week earlier planted several trees directly in the middle of the trail. Those trees were subsequently uprooted, which probably drove him to even more desperate measures to keep people off the trail. Carrying those trees would have required quite a bit of effort. That there's only ONE house within walking distance of where they were planted, suggests that it was the person living in that house who planted them.

I don't think that homeowner realizes what he's in for if it turns out to be him. There are some 60+ riders who use that trail regularly, and some of us are gunning to take vengeance on the fucker to ruined our trail. Let's just say I'd be sleeping with one eye open if I lived in that house.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #28135
k7
Ancien cyclist

You guys, after the repairs, may want to invest in some motion-activated cameras. The ones that hunters use aren't too expensive and are easy to hide.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #28136
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
You guys, after the repairs, may want to invest in some motion-activated cameras. The ones that hunters use aren't too expensive and are easy to hide.
Already on it.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #28137
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Already on it.
Good luck bud. I hope you nail the SOB. But please, let the police take care of him.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #28138
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Those printed pages you see lying on the ground wherever the bridges were destroyed are a message from him explaining his reasons for doing it.
Curious as to what they said.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #28139
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
Curious as to what they said.
It quoted an irrelevant statute which states that no bridges or other structures shall be built on county owned property. What makes it irrelevant is the fact that our bike trail is officially sanctioned by the county. The county erected a kiosk at the trail entrance showing a map of the trail, and the hours people are allowed to use it. County workers periodically inspect it, and even provide the clay used to build the berms and various other trail features.

Ironically, he scribbled a note on the kiosk the county built. (I don't know what the note said).
Old 04-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #28140
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
49 miles today. Temps were 20 degrees warmer than last week, but still pretty cool: in the mid-40s. The loop portion of this ride was pretty much the route the Afton loop will follow on the MN Ironman ride in a few weeks. It's going to be a fairly hilly ride this year. Hopefully my riding buddy and I will be able to do the whole 100 mile ride. http://ironmanbikeride.org/routes

For whatever reason, ever since last fall, after a couple hours into a ride, if I really push on a climb, especially if I stand, my left quad feels like it's about to cramp. I can feel it coming on and work around it, but I'd like to figure out what's going on and fix the problem. Any ideas?
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: