Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 513 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #28261
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Thanks all. I do like the Honey Stinger products and the bonus of crumpling Lance's effigy just adds to the reward. I think they (Honey Stinger) are trying to distance themselves from him as they were blowing out all of their products through Chainlove cheap! It'll be curious to see if their next packaging has any reference to him at all.
Yeah, when you first mentioned your efforts pondering keeping yourself fueled as you ride, I thought Hmmm, WWLD? What would Lance do? Oh, wait, better not do that or you'll get DQ'd!

Best of luck, hope you can get some sleep prior!

Doug
Old 04-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #28262
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,822
Knock em dead Ridge!

I did a little more than a tenth of what Ridge is fixin to do. 1:24 loop around Fountain Head Park. 11ish miles. I'd been looking at my forlorn mtn bike sitting in its corner quietly mourning its lack of action. It finally talked me into riding it.

I'm way rusty off-road. Fitness is there but technical skills? Oh well. As often as I ride my mtn bike, it stands to figure.

M
Old 04-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #28263
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
Yeah, give it hell! To Strava,and Beyond!!!!!!!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #28264
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Many thanks all. I know you're all there in spirit and my goal is to simply finish... in one piece. Pics and report to follow if I can type.

As for Strava... I'll defer to one that I give utmost respect; Drunkcyclist:

http://drunkcyclist.com/2012/11/14/s...vain-activity/

Quote:
Thereís been some heat lately between us here at DC and the dudes over at STRAVA. Itís all good fun at the end of the day, but part of what makes Drunkcyclist what it is, is that our goal is to help keep the market honest. Iíll admit, STRAVA has a nice product; it maps well, it tracks workouts well, and it has created a sort of social athletic competition, which also works well, I just question its purpose. Thatís my opinion, you donít have to agree, and I hope that if you donít, you tell me how wrong I am in the comments.

Competition is good. Iím a free market guy, so yea, I like to butt heads and flex dick. However, context is crucial. That is to say, competition for a purpose is beneficial, whereas competition for ego, or power, is detrimental. Take craft brewing for example. They felt that us beer drinking, thumb-up-our-ass yuppies deserved better that what Miller and Coors and all the big dogs were pooping out. (I donít really think we are yuppies, or like thumbs up our asses by the way) So they stopped mass-producing the piss water and created a voluminously hopped mutha that delivers a hoppy nose, assertive-but-balanced flavors of pale malts and hops from start to finish. Eventually, people started drinking the shit and now we have craft breweries spreading like STDís at ASU. Shit son. Love me some of that.

So along those lines, before I get lost in this mindless cloud of beer infused banter, letís get back to the point, STRAVA. We like to keep companies honest, and make sure that the consumer (you), is reminded of what the hell youíre doing when you slide your ďfuck you fingerĒ to unlock your iPhone and open the STRAVA app, becoming that Stravasshole that we so much despise. Why are you coming up hot on my wheel and screaming ďSTRAVA! STRAVA!Ē and expecting me to one, give a shit about your speed, and two, to get out of your way so you can become the King of the Mountain (KOM) on some egomanic program on your cell phone. Really? Thatís not what riding a bike is about. Itís not about beating out some guy you donít know on your phone app and creating stress in the lives of people enjoying their day on the bike. Itís about appreciating the fact you can even be out there on two wheels, feeling that wind in your face and riding in beautiful terrain that the majority of people can not, and will never experience. Take a breath, take a look around, think about how this wonít last forever, share a beer with some friends, tell a joke, and lighten up. Ditch STRAVA, or better yet, beat it. Learn how at Strava Terrorism.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #28265
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Many thanks all. I know you're all there in spirit and my goal is to simply finish... in one piece. Pics and report to follow if I can type.

muahahahahahaahhahaha
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 04-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #28266
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,332
Quote:

Fucking awesome...and spot the fuck on

Got out for 25 miles tonight and I doubt I managed a 14 MPH average (I have no idea since like a dork I forgot to turn my Strava on ....NOT). It was uphill all the way with the wind in my face all round the loop that I do and I was shagged 5 miles in...and I fucking LOVED every minute of it
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #28267
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Fucking awesome...and spot the fuck on

Got out for 25 miles tonight and I doubt I managed a 14 MPH average (I have no idea since like a dork I forgot to turn my Strava on ....NOT). It was uphill all the way with the wind in my face all round the loop that I do and I was shagged 5 miles in...and I fucking LOVED every minute of it
Ha! Well said! I've already beaten STRAVA - I don't have a smart phone at all! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We live out in the stix and don't even have cell service at home, much less most of the back roads I ride, so it wouldn't work anyway even if I had the right phone.

I got out for 21 miles on my lunch break, very quiet roads today for some reason, got passed by maybe a dozen cars in the time it took to ride most of the way into town and back. Yeah, the wind was swirling and felt like it was in my face most of the way home. My cycling computer said I did a reasonable pace, anyway, and I felt tired but refreshed at the same time. But the best part was the scenery - so GREEN! - with gorgeous red bud trees, dogwoods, flowers, and the birds singing, saw two osprey but not the young bald eagle I see frequently.

I love to ride, not so interested in quantifying and competing.

Doug
Old 04-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #28268
2whl-hoop
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Not that anyone asked, but here's my $.02 on Strava: I like it and will keep using it to log rides. I like being able to see the ride charted out and being able to share it. The competitive aspect of it though, I could do without, and I wish there was a way of disabling that part of it. Maybe there is and I just haven't figured it out...either way, I'm not racing so I don't care where my times wind up in relation to anyone else's, and I definitely don't ride with Strava as a motivation.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #28269
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Good Luck Ridge,
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #28270
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Good Luck Ridge,
+ 1.

Get 'em!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #28271
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,841
Well, I'm fairly well organized for the drive to Texas beginning on Sat. The ride starts Wed and with a little luck, I'll be 420 miles into by this time next week. If all goes well, I'll finish late Saturday night. If not, well, I'll figure that out when the time comes.

I won't have a support vehicle. I realized that on the CO Last Chance, there was a group of six into the first control. Of that six, four had support vehicles. They all withdrew from the event on the spot. Yeah, I was cold, wet ina few places and a little tired but quitting after 70 miles? It's easy to say you wouldn't but having a nice warm vehicle would be tempting.

I'm tired just thinking about it.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:11 AM   #28272
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Fixin to go on a 4-ish hr gravel/road ride. After missing the Wed ride due to a raging headache, I need some riding time.

MFTS: Garmin computers will record everything and then you can upload to Strava to see if you've gotten the KOMs. You don't need a smart phone.

Knock em dead K7!

All y'all already know my views on Strava, so I won't reiterate em.

M
Old 04-26-2013, 05:24 AM   #28273
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Upper left.

Just sayin

M
Old 04-26-2013, 06:35 AM   #28274
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,452
Y'all let me know when you're done being dicks.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #28275
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 886
The "STRAVA Made Me Dope" shirt is awesome. I'd wear it and I happen to like and use STRAVA. It's like Doc Holliday said in "Tombstone": "It would appear that my hipocracy knows no bounds."

A couple of WTFs from the MTB world-

http://www.clubrideapparel.com/ I get that you may not want to dress like an XC (AKA "mountain roadie") dork, but is looking like you're waiting for a lunch table at Chili's any better? What's next, DH-specific chinos with integrated knee/shin armor?

Also, what compels a certain segment of MTBers to invent Secret Squirrel names for trails that already have posted names? Yes, "Terminator" sounds way cooler than "Mule Mountain Trail", but you're not some grom trying to protect his little loop of illegal singletrack from other trail poachers and The Man. You're a soft, white, suburban dude north of 35 just like me. Just use the names on the maps and the signs and it'll save everyone a lot of hassle.

/rant

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: