User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 316 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #28276
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,080
If you follow the 'buy straw hats in the winter' style of buying, keep an eye on www.gearscan.com. I just got some Castelli bib knickers for over half off. No, I don't need em right now, but sure as shootin they're NOT going to be on sale when I do!

M
Old 04-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #28277
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,120
You know after reading that the guy on the bike did decide to let the dog and its owners manage his safety.
The river trail bike path I use quite often has lots of everybody.

I've had to avoid squirrels, dogs, ducks geese turtles and one un-identified large fourlegged mammal in the dark/dusk/dawn. Along with waddling tipsy walkers/stumblers, runners, fallers, cops on bikes, motorcycles, horses and cars.
One fire truck. Guy hit a telephone pole that is right at the apex of a curve and only about 18-inches in diameter. Nice direct full speed hit. So much for riding a bicycle like you operate an SUV.

No airbag.
My favorites are the bouncing dogs on those reel leashes, let out in toll mode.
We call this trolling here in the OC, because there are things out there in the brush that will eat a dog. And those things are not homeless this is in fact their home. several people lose dogs this way ignoring the 5-6 foot leash rules posted and explaining how that skin and bones coyote will easily eat your big tough terrier/whatever.

What I have had to avoid the most are dog walkers/runners with the reel leashes who tend to let out a little more than ten fifteen feet of line; I suppose that keeps the bait from under foot.
sometimes they reel in when they happen to notice other people in their world. Sometimes not. When faced with a dog on a long leash, I slow down move to the side of the path and sometimes stop well ahead of the meeting point. This also gives me time to get some of that plastic bike between me and the bait, just in case the bait is not happy about others in his world.
Yes, this can put a bind on my Strava time, but I can always ride it again another day. And it saves a face plant. I'm old and have actually learned a few things over the years. One of those is that it is far easier to avoid this sort of thing than to attempt to sort it all out after. And more importantly I hjave figured out that at my advanced age, I no longer bounce so good.
I've checked. Nope still not that great at bouncing, (checked last weekend but that was beach sand so more of a dead-blow than any chance at bouncing..)

Still how a court can decide a dogs owners clearly not in control of the dog are somehow not responsible for any damage the uncontrolled dog may cause is a bit much. So if the uncontrolled dog jumps on the hood of certain appellate court judges car and scratches the hell out of it the owners are not responsible.
It's on the judge to fix the hood of his Ferrari.
I think I see a judge that needs a boot in the ass from the common sense side of the aisle.

I'm surprised the courts decision didn't read: "Dude the dog was just doing what dogs do man."

the dog abides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #28278
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
"Neither side disputes that 46-year-old Wolfgang Doerr was biking in the loop when Julie Smith began slapping her thighs and calling for her shepherd mix, Lena, who was being held by Smith's boyfriend. Sensing that the dog was going to bolt out in front of him, Doerr yelled "Watch your dog!" to no avail. Lena suffered only a few bruises, but Doerr broke his jaw and several teeth."

I started twitching a little when the bicyclist admitted that he saw the dog and was concerned. If that were me, I'd be covering the brakes already and prepping for the worst case scenario.

Riding a motorcycle and cycling teaches you that very early on.

k7 screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 03:13 PM
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #28279
wd4o
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Since switching to gravel, I no longer have that problem.
gravel is good.
Pandale to Langtry and back from Horseshack on Vimeo.
wd4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #28280
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd4o View Post
Managed to find the hole in my Tufo. Nope. Not fixable. There goes $50

...and if that's auto-running, you may want to link to it. Otherwise people'll get their panties in a wad. I've got script blockers going so I can't tell.

M
Old 04-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #28281
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Riding a motorcycle and cycling teaches you that very early on.
After riding a motorcycle for several years, bike commuting didn't intimidate me much. Not being able to outrun cars kinda sucked, but keeping my eyes moving and looking for cars/obstacles was pretty natural.

Riding with my wife has presented a problem though, as she can't look around to say live her life (and that could be literal one of these days! )

El Guero screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 09:52 AM
El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #28282
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd4o View Post
Nope, no auto-play. Nice vid, looks like a good ride.

I'm getting set for the Honey Badger on Sunday. I put new tires (Clement LAS) on the cross bike yesterday. The Small Block Eights were still useable, but I've had to patch sidewall cuts on both. No SAG on this ride, not gonna tempt fate. No SAG also means I'll be strapping on the Revelate Tangle frame bag to carry victuals, clothing, etc. (Wonder if I can stuff an extra pair of legs in there... )
Old 04-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #28283
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Riding with my wire has presented a problem though, as she can't look around to say live her life (and that could be literal one of these days! )
Girlfriend does the same thing on the road with her bike, and it scares the shit out of me. Few weeks ago she crossed the double line on a downhill blind curve to get around a parked truck doing about 30mph. Had there been a car coming the other way, she would have been a hood ornament. I try to not be an asshole, but when my heart jumps out of my chest at a completely stupid and preventable move pulled by a borderline brilliant loved one, it's hard to be polite. I've put the cabosh on motorcycle license for her if I'm in the picture, she's just not careful enough.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #28284
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Girlfriend does the same thing on the road with her bike, and it scares the shit out of me. Few weeks ago she crossed the double line on a downhill blind curve to get around a parked truck doing about 30mph. Had there been a car coming the other way, she would have been a hood ornament. I try to not be an asshole, but when my heart jumps out of my chest at a completely stupid and preventable move pulled by a borderline brilliant loved one, it's hard to be polite. I've put the cabosh on motorcycle license for her if I'm in the picture, she's just not careful enough.
Sounds about right... I'm considering that I'm going to have to slow down just to stick close to her until she can gain some situational awareness.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #28285
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Who's up for a mixed surface century Sun AM?

M
Old 04-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #28286
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,181
Must be nice to ride where the roads actually have shoulders!

When I lived in Wyoming I used to ride all over the State as I travelled for work and always took that nice wide escape strip for granted. Even the roads in Grand Teton and Yellowstone had great shoulders (still dangerous, though, because the tourons were looking at the critters or scenery and not the roads). Now I live in rural Virginia where there really are no shoulders, period, on any roads except the busiest two-lanes and the Interstate. Even the Blue Ridge Parkway, an absolutely glorious place to ride, has zero shoulders - cross the white line and you're in the ditch. The really rural roads are like 1.5 lanes wide with not even a center line. Gets a little hairy at times...

FWIW, I've found that the most dangerous time to ride out here is around noon on Sundays when all the old folks are out in their cars for the weekly trip to church (there are churches EVERYWHERE out here!) and lunch with their friends. It gets downright scary being on a 1.5 lane wide twisty hilly road with a bunch of deaf and blind 90 year olds driving their 1970's American Heavy Metal tanks around.

Doug
Old 04-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #28287
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
Must be nice to ride where the roads actually have shoulders!
It can be. If you look between the first bike in the picture and the second bike, you can see the rumble strips that line the shoulder. They aren't built to national specs so if you have to dive off the road, you get quite a jar. Beyond them on the other side is road debris.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #28288
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
It can be. If you look between the first bike in the picture and the second bike, you can see the rumble strips that line the shoulder. They aren't built to national specs so if you have to dive off the road, you get quite a jar. Beyond them on the other side is road debris.
They do that shit in AL too. Found it out when I went to visit a friend from HS that moved down there.

M
Old 04-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #28289
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,961
New sled!

The 520 steel Jamis couldn't take any more of it. Time for an upgrade.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:52 AM   #28290
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
What an inspiring photograph. In Florida, those riders would be all over the road, blocking traffic for miles.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: