User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 04:23 AM   #28306
Robert_C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
I am considering going on an extended ride this summer. It will probably be about 1,200 km. I have gone on several 100km rides with the local cycling clubs. I have also gone on solo, multi-day, rides of about 400km here in China.

The problem I have run into is that I, quite simply, end up in too much pain, from the saddle, to really enjoy the long rides. By the second day, and sometimes before that, I end up with my perineum (the skin between the anus and the scrotum) tearing and then chafing and bleeding the rest of the trip. It is not something I can “build up to.” I had this happen after several months of 100+km rides twice a week.

When in the US I ride my recumbent most often (I say most often because I don’t feel that bents work well with multi-modal rides). I moved from a bike-E that I rode for several years to a Bacchetta. However, all I have had in China are DF bikes. You will not find a bent, of any sort in a bike shop. I have lived here since 2006 and make it a habit to drop into bike shops when I see them. On one of my long rides (400km in three days, two nights on the road) a shopkeeper got into a conversation with a friend who was with me. The shopkeeper recalled seeing a recumbent being ridden by a foreigner about two years prior; this is how rare they are. However, I have never seen one.

Some of my friends are a bit concerned about my riding a trike because they look like a hand-cycle ( in general, Chinese people have very strong biases against the disabled). My only real concern is that my bike may need to ride as baggage on a train and a trike may be a problem.

Cost is a concern for several reasons, one of the reasons is that I may need to leave the bike behind at some point; or, when I leave the country. Shipping a bike from china can be extremely expensive. Further, bike theft is so common that in one city I lived it was not even permitted to be reported to the police.

One other issue is that, while on long rides, I have frequently found it necessary to “lift” my bicycle. One case is at toll booth. Bikes (and motorcycles) are permitted to take the sidewalk around the toll booths; but, there is often a bike barrier consisting of a pipe fixed about a foot off the ground. Other times I have had to cross bridges that have consisted of a series of planks placed across the top of a series of small boats. Further, bicyclists are frequently required to dismount, this is typical when going through a gate of any sort (and no matter how wide) and sometimes it is required while waiting for a traffic light.

All this leads to me trying to decide on two or three wheels. If I stick with a DF I will probably go a couple hundred KM; but, no further.

This leaves me looking at this two wheel model (there are a couple of vendors; but, they are all the same).
From here

I am also considering a few of the trikes. I will admit it, I kind of like the idea of being able to put up the canopy seen in one of them, on bright days; or, while napping.
from here from here from here from here

I really think I would like a trike better; but, I am concerned that it will be a never ending hassle because nothing here is set up with Trikes in mind. Any thoughts on any of these for long distance riding?
As a nation we still continue to enjoy a literally unprecedented prosperity; and it is probable that only reckless speculation and disregard of legitimate business methods on the part of the business world can materially mar this prosperity. -- Theodore Roosevelt, Sixth Annual Message, December 3, 1906
Robert_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:42 AM   #28307
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
1. Have you tried different saddles? It takes some trial and error to find one that works.

2. Chamois cream. Get some now. If it isn't available off-the-shelf, there are DIY formulas online.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:00 AM   #28308
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
1. Bike fit. Get one. Sounds like you're seat's too high

2. Have you tried different shorts? It takes some trial and error to find ones that work. Shorts/bibs are one place you don't want to skimp.

3. Chamois cream. Get some now. If it isn't available off-the-shelf, there are DIY formulas online.
fixt

M
Old 04-23-2013, 06:28 AM   #28309
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,702
I rode a recumbent trike on a three-day trip across Missouri. I love my trike but the reason I won't tour on it is because you can't stand up on the pedals to take the lumps out of the road. You just have to ride it out.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #28310
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Took one out for a spin this morning. It's a VERY impressive ride.

Ready to ride, it registered 15.5 lbs on the scales, which is very light for an 56cm 'aero frame' bike. Seat of the pants impression suggested that it picks up speed very rapidly, but I couldn't be sure until I took it to a local drag strip. It's a straight one mile long paved trail that simply dead-ends in the middle of nowhere. I have no idea why it was built, but it's been a favorite with all the local speed freaks.

I mounted my Garmin to the handlebar, got down in the drops, and did one fast run. Unfortunately I made the mistake of pushing far too hard at the beginning because I wanted to see how fast the bike would accelerate. By the time I could see the end of the trail, I was totally exhausted and gasping for air. I had nothing left to give, and could only watch in dismay as my speed steadily decreased. Still, my result tied me with two other riders for 4th place on the Strava leader board, one of whom is a local racer whose name graces the top of many a leader board.

Though I was already tired, I attempted a second run, this time conserving my energy in the early stage. It worked. Though my time was 3 seconds slower than before, my speed from about the halfway mark to the end was 4 mph faster than in the first run. Had I used this technique when I had all my energy, I'm confident that I would have shaved off several seconds and likely ended up in second place on the leader board. We'll find out tomorrow.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...am-us-11-44615
It sounds like the inner competitor in you should purchase a license and give racing a try.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #28311
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
It sounds like the inner competitor in you should purchase a license and give racing a try.
There are far too many random variables in racing which contaminate the results: bad weather, equipment failures, accidents, getting stuck behind slower riders, etc. Strava eliminates all these, making it a much better indicator of performance.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #28312
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,767
Quote:
There are far too many random variables in racing which contaminate the results: bad weather, equipment failures, accidents, getting stuck behind slower riders, etc. Strava eliminates all these, making it a much better indicator of performance.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #28313
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Let's see you refute a single syllable that I wrote.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #28314
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
so race time trials. or velodrome.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #28315
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,256
Old 04-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #28316
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
so race time trials. or velodrome.
There's no velodrome anywhere near me, even if I had an interest in that sort of thing. As for time trials, that's pretty much what these sprint times are.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #28317
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,629
Aaaaaaand I'm back on bikeforums.net.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #28318
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,767
Quote:
You sure are touchy...

I just find it hilarious how you to try and justify things.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #28319
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
You sure are touchy...

I just find it hilarious how you to try and justify things.
What am I trying to justify?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #28320
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,858
I can only think of one place to try out the new bike.

Shiva, the creator. Shiva, the destroyer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: