Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 142 votes, 4.77 average. Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #28651
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Ah crap. Now I remember looking in to this last year. Not a simple thing with android. Limited to a specific hrm, no way to get a secondary display so I don't have to put my phone on my bars. I should just get a cheap hrm with remote display and call it good.
surf on over to DC Rainmaker and look around his site. Lots of info on how to connect this with that.

M
Old 05-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #28652
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Ah crap. Now I remember looking in to this last year. Not a simple thing with android. Limited to a specific hrm, no way to get a secondary display so I don't have to put my phone on my bars. I should just get a cheap hrm with remote display and call it good.

Just get a strap/ watch monitor These are pretty cheap these days.

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?...ajor=3&minor=2
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #28653
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Your HR looks nice and smooth. Mine always looks like a saw. I stop working and my HR drops to zone 1 in less than 30sec. Takes me some real doing to keep my HR up. (and I can't figure out what to change to share a page outta my training 'log' at Garmin Connect. )

I can get to the top of a hill at 140bpm+ and by the bottom I'm in the 80s. Sometimes less depending on the hill.

Let's see if this worked:

M
It felt like it was about to come out of my chest. Haha that's the highest I have ever gotten it.

Hills are my weakness. Whenever I get a significant grade, I can get up, but after the effort I have to throttle back. I'm trying to do more threshold intervals to condition myself to recover faster from hard efforts, but it just isn't coming along like I hoped.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #28654
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
It felt like it was about to come out of my chest. Haha that's the highest I have ever gotten it.

Hills are my weakness. Whenever I get a significant grade, I can get up, but after the effort I have to throttle back. I'm trying to do more threshold intervals to condition myself to recover faster from hard efforts, but it just isn't coming along like I hoped.
You have no idea... I'm a trackie. Hill is a 4-letter word.

I hit the bottom of a rise of any slope, its like there's a parachute behind me as the skinny climber-types dance away up the hill.

I used to ride with a guy that weighed 135 soaking wet. I was 30-35# heavier. I'd end up towing him to the bottom of the hill and watch him ride away. I figured out I'd have to put out double his wattage to go the same speed. ...and there's only so long I can hold 600-ish watts!

I've found there's a balance point of effort and spin. If I get that right, I can get up stuff reasonably quickly.

M
Old 05-11-2013, 05:40 AM   #28655
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Yeah, I bounce between 180-185 and struggle with keeping up with the stick boys too.

I make no excuses though, there's friends of mine that are similar weight that can crush hills, so I know there's hope!
Old 05-11-2013, 05:40 AM   #28656
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

M
Old 05-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #28657
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,826
Wink More Strava madness

I went out to one of my favorite trails this morning to see if I could get into the 'Top Ten' placings on the only two Strava segments I haven't been able to do it on. This time I played it smart. Instead of maxing out my speed right from the get-go, I held back a bit so that I wouldn't be dying from exhaustion toward the end. It worked. With an average speed at 27.1 mph, I now have the 6th fastest time out of 455 riders. Last year I wouldn't even have thought it possible to finish in the top 50.

My attempt at a record on the last remaining segment got off to a roaring start, but didn't go as planned. About 2/3rds of the way through, an enormous tree branch fell across the trail ahead me. There was no way around it, so I had to dismount and carry my bike over it, which ruined any possibility of setting a new record. I climbed back on the bike as quickly as possible and finished the run, hoping for a miracle. It was not to be. I'll be back tomorrow to try again.

One of my friends once told me that something like this had happened on a mtb trail as he was about to grab another KOM. I doubted his story because the idea of a huge tree branch falling in front of him at precisely the wrong moment just seemed too implausible to believe. Now I know better.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #28658
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Like I said: I just don't wanna know! I'm skeered of what it'll say.

I saw that 181 in my late 20s. I'm 45 now. (on a side note: WhenTF did I get middle aged?! I still *feel* 20!)

M
Funny isn't it?

I'm 44 and my rev limiter kicks in at 194 BPM, but resting I can get as low as 43. I'm not sure if this helps with performance or not, but I did a lactate threshold test the other week (hellish) and could maintain 180 BPM for eight minutes. At least now as far as HR is concerned I have some figures to work with to build workouts.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #28659
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,447
A little ride report from earlier in the spring. It's and email to friends and family that don't necessarily know about cycling and it's nuances.

The Victoria crew are very fast....Home of Ryder Hesjadal

Report:

Well I just got back from Victoria after being down there for a week doing some training for work. As I usually do I packed up a bike to bring with me, since the weather was looking a little iffy I opted for the wet cyclocross rig with the fenders (for those who don't know it's a little slower than a full blown race bike). When I'm riding in Victoria I usually do it with a good friend and coworker named Dan. Dan is one of the Victoria elite, a regular with the A group and is very fast, and obviously rides a lot. Dan's soon to be brother in law's name is Tom and Tom is faster than Dan. In fact Tom is one of the fastest riders in Victoria. He'll ride over 20 000 km this year, he'll be around later.
During the week Dan and I managed to get out for a couple of after work spins, some longer (73km) and some shorter (38km), great early season training. I've been pretty steady on the bike all winter and even since January have over 2000 k in so far, so I'm pretty keen to see how things go with the big kids in Vic.
Which brings us to the Oak Bay Bikes Saturday group ride.

Oh my, where to start.

The weather for Saturday was going to be dry, but cool and windy so right off the bat I removed the fenders from my bike to try to lighten it up and make it slightly more aerodynamic (yes it makes a difference). Also all the other regular things that you do, pump up the tires, oil the chain ect. I decide to go with only one bottle of water just before half way the group stops at a park where I can refill. I chose minimal clothing, the whole lot......I'm a little nervous. The ride starts at 9:00 sharp so at 8:40 we're out the door and spinning towards the Bike shop. It's cold and the sky is a little threatening when we pull into the parking lot, we're greeted by a couple of other riders who are already there. As we're standing around chatting more and more people start showing up, some obviously B riders and other obviously A riders. I'm sizing them all up. Welcome tree trunk thighs on a $8000 bike, you are scaring the hell out of me standing still. Oh and here comes some dude with calfs that look like five pin bowling balls stuffed into socks on another $8000 rig..........great. Then Tom shows up, incredibly nice guy, doesn't look as threatening as Tree Trunk or Calf Man, but i know and so do they.....He's a machine and should be feared.

The way that it works is there is going to be two groups to this ride, the A and the B group. The groups head out of the parking lot at slightly different times to avoid a huge gaggle of riders clogging the roads with the A crew leaving first. The B group will be a "no drop" ride meaning that the group goes as fast as the slowest rider. The A's will eventually try to destroy your will to live and leave you for dead in the ditch. The ride is about 90km in total, I'm with the A group........great.

Dan flicks his head to me and the A's pull out, we're about 25 riders.

The pace to begin with is conversational. For those who don't know if you ride directly behind another rider you will save about 25% of the power it takes to ride that speed as the rider who's breaking the wind in front, called drafting. Everybody takes their turns at the front of pack, called pulling. You work harder but only for a short time then fall back to the back of the pack to draft. This is a pace line and for this many riders a double pace line is formed so one rides beside another person and while we're drafting everybody is chatting. By this point I've warmed up, the sun is starting to peak out and we're ticking along at 32-33 kph and 150 bpm (beats per min), mid rate for me, called Tempo, very sustainable. Life is good, this is fun. I have a very nice older fella that is my partner in the pace line, he must be 60+ and is doing well with the pace.

Just past the 40 k mark we pull off into the park and eat a powerbar and refill our water, the B's pull in not long behind us and it's about 60 riders all milling about, pretty cool.

Tom and Dan get back on their bikes and start to roll out and so do I. The A's have changed slightly now though, my older friend isn't with us anymore, the conversations stop as we head through Sidney and then it happens.........BOOOM! We're hammering!!! I'm digging deep and keeping up. Tom pulls up beside me and says "Keep that wheel (the guy in front of me) and don't let it go" 48kph 180+ BPM. It's FAST, really really fast. The guys out front want to cull the herd, if you can't keep up you don't belong and they don't want you. This is no longer a friendly ride. The point now is to hurt people, break them and drop them. I've forgotten how exciting it is to ride fast in a pack. We're going faster than you ever could on your own within inches of other bikes, in fact the closer to the rider in front of you the better.

As we go across Lands End (North of the Airport) there's a nasty cross wind and I'm working hard to keep up. I'm hoping everybody is hurting like I am, but I'm still keeping up. This is where we turn South and start to head back to Victoria. I'm doing my best to hide in the group and draft as much as I can. The pace is still really fast and I know that there is a hill call Panorama coming up that is long and hateful, I'm dreading it. We're through rolling hills in and out of the saddle and I'm basically lost. I have no idea what's coming up or what to expect. Hills come out of nowhere that I have no idea how long they are. I try to match the style of the others. If we're standing for this one then I stand, if we're climbing this one seated then I sit. Seated climbs have people sprinting past me and the whole group then gets up and it's a hammerfest to the top thats somewhere up there. No choice though, they sprint, I sprint. Descending is no joy either, the pace remains frantic and with all the riders you can't see what's coming, I'm just praying for no hairpins and keep the pace.

Beyond being fast the A group are a bunch of fantastic bike handlers, they go through corners at crazy speeds. While I'm hammering trying to keep the pace we go through a tight turn into wind and the rider in front gaps me by two bike lengths, I'm on it right away full power 193 BPM out of the saddle sprint, I'm pegged, it's everything I have into a face full of wind. Like the guy that falls off a ship in the night I found myself treading water alone as the ship continued to sail off without me. Two bike lengths turned into three, then five and then at full power I blew up. Dropped I sat up and watched the freight train leave me behind.

I was disappointed, but I figured I may as well put in a solid effort for the rest of the ride. Panorama hill was right there and I saw that three others were dropped, so the game now is to catch them. I had a pretty good climb and caught the three and dropped them, that made me feel better.

At the top of the climb Tom was riding back towards me and spun around to join up, I was shocked! I couldn't believe that he came back for me. He told me that he wanted to take it easy as he was racing the next day at a mountain bike event so he'd ride with me the rest of the way home (he won the race, he's a freak). I wasn't going to let Tom pull me all the way home, as that's weak so Tom turned to coach and had me pull him as hard as i could until I exhausted myself and then he'd pull so I could recover. We managed to catch another five of six riders this way, also made me pretty happy.

What did I learn:

Work on explosive power.
Riders that know how to ride will use the wind to gap you and you'd better be ready for it (I obviously wasn't)
Work on bike handling
Don't bring a cyclocross bike to a road race
Train harder.
Harden up.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #28660
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
Funny isn't it?

I'm 44 and my rev limiter kicks in at 194 BPM, but resting I can get as low as 43. I'm not sure if this helps with performance or not, but I did a lactate threshold test the other week (hellish) and could maintain 180 BPM for eight minutes. At least now as far as HR is concerned I have some figures to work with to build workouts.
Yikes! I redline just north of 180. The spittle starts flying and the world gets fuzzy around the edges...time to dial it back a few notches. Nice RR, BTW.

Today's ride is destined for the "Sometimes I Do Stupid Shit" file: an MTB out-n-back to the fire lookout atop Bully Choop Mountain. I managed to better my time from last year (barely) even after walking up the final climb to the lookout and taking a soil sample during the decent back to civilization. I figure it's a good lead-in to Mothers Day, because at some point during this ride, nearly everyone wants their Mommy.

TheNedster screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 11:05 PM
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #28661
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Haha. I redline at 180 as well... When I hit the 180's, my mouth feels like its full of pennies, and I'll get lightheaded if I maintain it too long.

190+, call the amberlamps....
Old 05-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #28662
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Bicycle racing rules

What do the racing rules say about a hypothetical situation in which, for example, 4 riders cross the finish line at exactly the same time? Presumably there would be a four place tie for first, but what about the second rider to cross the finish line? What place would he be in according to the rules?

This question came up on another forum. Most people say that the second rider would be in second place, but some others insist that he would be in fifth place because four riders finished ahead of him.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #28663
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,378
Cold be here:
http://www.usacycling.org/usa-cycling-rule-book.htm

Rule 1M4, part b, under Dead Heats. Pretty clear.
1M4. Dead Heats
(a) Should two or more riders make a dead heat for a qualifying place in a trial heat, they shall be allowed to enter the final, subject to more specific rules of each discipline.
(b) Should two or more riders make a dead heat for first place only, they shall reride the final sprint for 1,000 meters to determine the winner or may ride a shorter distance considered sufficient by the Chief Referee to allow for a fair settlement. If the dead heat is for any other place, the riders concerned shall be declared equal and the prizes for those places shall be added and equally divided or duplicated at the discretion of the Race Director.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
What do the racing rules say about a hypothetical situation in which, for example, 4 riders cross the finish line at exactly the same time? Presumably there would be a four place tie for first, but what about the second rider to cross the finish line? What place would he be in according to the rules?

This question came up on another forum. Most people say that the second rider would be in second place, but some others insist that he would be in fifth place because four riders finished ahead of him.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #28664
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post

Do you mean the next person not in the group of four? I'd assume just like golf. If you have a four way tie for first, the fifth finisher would be fifth. Impossible to be second if there's four people in front of you......

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #28665
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Do you mean the next person not in the group of four? I'd assume just like golf. If you have a four way tie for first, the fifth finisher would be fifth. Impossible to be second if there's four people in front of you......
But how can there be a fifth place in such a scenario if there is no fourth, or third, or second?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: