Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 502 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #28726
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,460
I enjoyed this expansion of Rule #9.

It rains so much around here, I printed this out and hung it on my office door. Some days I need a kick in the ass to get out and make the first revolution of my cranks, after that I'm good.

ON RULE #9: LOVE THE WORK

by frank / Oct 31 2011 / 338 posts
Fitness. The rhythm, the feeling of precision in our movement, the sensations of The Ride. The temptation of knowing we might in some way control our suffering even as we push harder in spite of the searing pain in our legs and lungs. The notion that through suffering, we might learn something rudimentary about ourselves – that we might find a kind of salvation.

Cycling, like Art, is based on the elementary notion that through focussed study, we might better understand ourselves. But to describe Cycling as a an Art does it an injustice. An artist, they say, suffers because they must. A Cyclist, I suggest, suffers because we choose to.

This element of choice, what psychologists refer to as the locus of control, is part of what allows us to feel pleasure through suffering. Through this choice unfolds an avenue of personal discovery by which we uncover the very nature of ourselves. Like Michelangelo wielding his hammer to chip away fragments of stone that obscure a great sculpture, we turn our pedals to chip away at our form, eventually revealing our true selves as a manifestation of hard work, determination, and dedication to our craft.

Having chosen this path, we quickly find that riding a bicycle on warm, dry roads through sunny boulevards is the realm of the recreational cyclist. As winter approaches, the days get shorter and the weather worse. Form tempts us to greater things, but leaves us quickly despite our best intentions. Its taste lingers long upon the tongue and urges us to gain more. Even as life gets in the way, we cannot afford many days away from our craft before we find ourselves struggling to reclaim lost fitness.

To find form in the first place, and to maintain it in the second, is a simple matter of riding your bicycle a lot. This simple task asks of us, however, a year-round commitment to throwing our leg over a toptube in heat, cold, wind, rain, or sleet, lest we spend months fighting to reclaim last year’s lost condition.

But with riding in bad weather is revealed a hidden secret. It is in the rain and the cold, when all the seductive elements of riding a bicycle have vanished, that we are truly able to ensconce ourselves in the elemental qualities of riding a bicycle. Good weather and beautiful scenery, after all, are distractions from the work. Without them, we have only those elements that we ourselves bring to The Ride: the rhythm, harmony between rider and machine, our suffering, and our thoughts. As the rain pours down and all but the most devoted stay indoors, we pull on extra clothing and submit into the deluge.

We are the Few, we are the Committed. We are those who understand that riding in bad weather means you’re a badass, period.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #28727
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
punk sounds like an example of why sometimes it's best to fire a customer.

i expect to pay a fair price for what i receive.
shops have done me many favors that are more valuable than the few bucks i might have milked out of them on discounts (for example, squeezing a quick fix into their sked, or ordering something for me on just a phone call), usually because i've earned 'Friend of Shop' status by not insisting on being first in line in front of others, or by helping a noob find something onthe shelves when the shop staff was swamped. in general, i try to be the kind of customer that i would want.
be a dickbag? expect to be treated/charged like one.

only shop advice i've seen here that hasn't already been mentioned in some of the other good advice might be to see if you can find a way to make space for a couch to go with that coffeemaker (if building a Shop Culture is the sort of thing you want). while the people who spend the most time there might not be the ones spending the most money, they're likely to be the ones who will spread the word about how Cool your shop is.
Same here... All the shop guys know me, and while they do give me a small discount, i never have asked for a better price, or a discount... I also try and help people find stuff when the shop staff is swamped, and the staff will actually ask my opinion of stuff like how a pump worked out for me, or a multi tool, and they use me to sell bikes and accessories...LOL
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #28728
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
Just got home from a difficult, Rule#5 ride. 55.8 miles, 3:32, 3319 feet^, 15.9 average. I am shot, and making a big sandwich! I hope everyone had a safe, asshole free ride...
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #28729
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Just got home from a difficult, Rule#5 ride. 55.8 miles, 3:32, 3319 feet^, 15.9 average. I am shot, and making a big sandwich! I hope everyone had a safe, asshole free ride...
2:45 of safe-ish riding that included at least 3 s that I can remember. Mostly passing into oncoming traffic.

I looked at the weather maps for around here (DC Area) and saw a big ole open space in the rain clouds so I decided to go for it. Applying rule #5 like rbrsddn, I didn't even put on the fenders. After all, its gonna dry out, right?!

Not so fast, Private!

While it didn't rain on me but for a little bit, the roads were anything but dry. Finally put on the rain jacket (Xenon w/ half sleeves rawks!) at about the 1:15 mark. Then I got too sweaty to take it back off. Thank doG for wool!

So I got back and everything I was wearing was either soaked with water or soaked in sweat. ...but I was perfectly comfortable! Like I said: wook rawks!

My legs are toast (again.) Its been a long week. Easy tomorrow, off on Mon and it starts over.

M
Old 05-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #28730
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 886
I blew off the century I had been planning on riding today and instead paid down my sleep debt a bit then went on a solo multisurface ride. Temps were in the low 80s and there was a nice breeze to make the slog up to the South Fork lookout tolerable. No regrets.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #28731
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,969
What size is that front tyre? Looks massive for a cx tyre.
Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #28732
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
What size is that front tyre? Looks massive for a cx tyre.
It's a Clement LAS 700x33, the largest size allowed in cyclocross competition by the UCI. They measure 35mm wide as you see them in the photo. I've been running Kenda Slant Six and Small Block Eight in 700x35 and the Clements appear to have a greater volume than the Kendas...very cushy.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:59 AM   #28733
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
It's a Clement LAS 700x33, the largest size allowed in cyclocross competition by the UCI. They measure 35mm wide as you see them in the photo. I've been running Kenda Slant Six and Small Block Eight in 700x35 and the Clements appear to have a greater volume than the Kendas...very cushy.
Would a bike designed for cyclocross be any good on hard, smooth singletrack trails?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #28734
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Would a bike designed for cyclocross be any good on hard, smooth singletrack trails?
Short answer: yes

Mine's gone farther off-road than your DS bikes have gone. It takes more skill to get em there though.

M
Old 05-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #28735
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Short answer: yes

Mine's gone farther off-road than your DS bikes have gone. It takes more skill to get em there though.

M
I was wondering about that. I've gotten very fast on my road bike, and that cycloross bike looks a lot like it. The idea of seeing if I can beat my mtb lap record on the road bike is very enticing. I'm pretty sure I'd have to do something about those skinny road tires, though.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #28736
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Cool2 Saturday's ride

My best sprint result yet. I moved up on the leader board from 6th place to 2nd place out of 460 riders.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #28737
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
My mate getting some air on his Marin Cortina

Old 05-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #28738
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 69,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
do you run 28's on your training rides in the marin, sonoma back roads? I would.
Nope. 23s.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #28739
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 69,805
Saturday's ride. It included King Ridge Road, Annapolis Road and then a spectacularly beautiful ride back down 1. In a couple places, the road climbs way up above the water so you're at least several hundred feet up. The water was spectacular from up there; all manner of blue and green and every color in between.

What a terrific day that was. King Ridge Road is exactly that - up on the ridge, so you're presented with spectacular views on either side - once you make the climb up. There were a couple sections where I saw north of 20% on the "current grade" indicator on my GPS.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #28740
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,827
As usual, my plans for a bike ride or two vaporized with errands and spur of the moment visits. Still a good weekend.
I arrived back in the heat completely beat. I drained and re-filled the camel-bak twice on the way across. Then a couple more liters while i cooled down in the hotel waiting for my phone to charge, then a walk to pizza and a cold beer. I gave a second pint a go but could only manage half if it. Only two slices of the pizza as well. Must becoming a light weight?

Three more mornings here then vacation.
And vacation for me means riding time. relaxing and cleaning the garage.

and my honey will be home..

I promise to ride, take pictures and lose some weight. And see if in my out of shape state I can beat up my little brother with a bicycle.

Could be a tough call this time, as he is retired and runs. I can always put him on an old mountain bike and drag him up a steep trail.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: