Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 236 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #28786
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
If you do nothing else to the bike, clean it when you work on it. When a bike's clean, it proves you did *something.*

I can't tell you how many $75 tuneups involved nothing more than tweaking a derailleur, truing a wheel, and cleaning a bike. You can do LOTS of tune-ups like that.

Always have a second pair of eyes go over the bike before the customer gets it. I've caught things that the wrenches missed that would've made us look bad. ...and missed things that another mechanic found on the way out the door. It happens.

As you wheel the bike out, grab brakes, wiggle the front checking for a loose HS, spin the wheels, drop it from a few inches off the ground and listen for loose stuff, etc

Yes to KHS the manufacturer.

M

great point on the clean - plus it will keep my mechanic busy. Second set of eyes is a must afaic.

thinking of bike consignment... I'd have to limit what we took in (not going to resell a 1995 Huffy) but, it would be a great way to keep overhead costs down but still make the same margin you would with selling a new ride; if we sell, you get 75% of the price, if we don't, you get it back with X% discount on your next purchase. Would also be a great way for prospective upgraders to get some more coin for their next ride.... which would most likely occur in the Spring, which is when other riders are looking for their next bump up to (hopefully) some of the consignment rides.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #28787
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
I buy tubes, water bottles, tires, etc from the LBS. High mark-up and good profit margin for them, but I still spend less than $20. No reason not to shop from them.
Bingo. I'm going to find some time and start really messing with my bikes... admittedly I haven't had to do much wrenching myself.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #28788
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
So... on another note,Fullmonte you are gonna have the National champships (Pro) out your way next month. You going? we need pics.
Yes! It is on Memorial Day weekend. The TT is Saturday and the road race is Monday. Since single rider time trials aren't THAT exciting, I will probably spectate at the World Trials Championship just 40 minutes away at TTC in Sequatchie. The best trials riders on the planet will be there and the sections are astoundingly difficult.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #28789
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
When you said KHS for supplies, you don't mean the manufacturer, do you?
Also, look at carrying Jamis for a small order of lower priced bikes.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #28790
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Is this the stage where Sagan wins it from about 20 guys back?

He's 7th wheel in that pic. Second Cannondale rider from the right edge.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #28791
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Hey Mood, what about a shop van all stickered up?

Take an easy-up, a folding table, a bike stand and some tools to the local trailheads. Bring tires, tubes, gels, 10 gallons of water, etc.

Fixing a flat, filling a bottle and handing out a 10% discount card can go a long way to building some loyalty.

I still remember a not-local-to-me bike shop that took a nail out of my wheel on a metric century about 10mi from the finish. They put a new tire (nail through the sidewall) and tube on my bike. I went from figuring out how to get a lift to the finish line to heading out to finish the ride in 10 min. They wouldn't take a dime. I recommend that shop to anyone I know in the area looking for a bike.

Offer free water bottle fills and free coffee to early morning ride gatherings and you'll be golden.

Good luck with this!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #28792
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Played hooky from work yesterday to go for a ride and watch Stage 3 of the ToC.

Peloton coming down Copper Hill towards us with 70mi to go:
I hate you.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #28793
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Bingo. I'm going to find some time and start really messing with my bikes... admittedly I haven't had to do much wrenching myself.
You'd better learn! There's only so much time an employee can work.

If you have the time and $: one of the wrenching schools. If you don't, mess with your bike, everyone else you can get hold of's bike, and etc

M
Old 05-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #28794
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

They didn't get me today, but they tried...

Old 05-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #28795
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,587
Which one are you????

A "Fred" or a a "mamil".

For the record, I ride a recumbent so I"m pretty much a rolling, cycling faux pas.

Link

"The tight-and-bright look may even incite what cyclist Derek Fox calls "Spandex rage." "The sight of an individual perched on a bicycle saddle while wearing brightly colored, skin-tight clothes initiates a loathing in some motorists not unlike what a bull must feel when staring at the red cape and golden epaulets of the matador," wrote Fox, a University of Missouri professor of veterinary medicine, in a 2009 blog post."
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #28796
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Mine killed my legs too. 'Course it *may* have had something to do with the 3 x 5 @ 10sec CP Jumps too.

M
Old 05-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #28797
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:

Mine killed my legs too. 'Course it *may* have had something to do with the 3 x 5 @ 10sec CP Jumps too.

M
What's a CP jump?
Old 05-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #28798
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
What's a CP jump?
Its a workout Chris Carmichael has in his book(s). CP stands for Creatine Phosphate. The stuff that you use to do very short, very high effort uhhh efforts.

You do 3 sets of 5 all out sprints for ~10sec ea.

Basically you start from a slow roll in your 53 x 19 combo, then go all out for 10sec. Rest 1min between efforts (I use 50sec for easy maths) and repeat 4x more times. The idea is to spin up to as fast as you can go for that 10sec.

Rest 5min and do it again

Done right, they HURT! (and make you VERY strong)

M
Old 05-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #28799
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Its a workout Chris Carmichael has in his book(s). CP stands for Creatine Phosphate. The stuff that you use to do very short, very high effort uhhh efforts.

You do 3 sets of 5 all out sprints for ~10sec ea.

Basically you start from a slow roll in your 53 x 19 combo, then go all out for 10sec. Rest 1min between efforts (I use 50sec for easy maths) and repeat 4x more times. The idea is to spin up to as fast as you can go for that 10sec.

Done right, they HURT! (and make you VERY strong)

M
Thanks!

Not a racer (so no 53-tooth big ring and no Carmichael book), but sounds like something interesting to try out.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #28800
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,086
Quote:
They didn't get me today, but they tried...

I couldn't even watch that to the end.

I hope it's not like that in reality.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: