Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 135 votes, 4.76 average. Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #28801
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Thanks!

Not a racer (so no 53-tooth big ring and no Carmichael book), but sounds like something interesting to try out.
I did mine on my Crosshairs with knobbies on today. Was riding my '4 dirt roads' ride.

I think I ended up in my 50 x 19 but I'd have to go look. Gearing is almost irrelevant as long as its somewhat hard to get going then takes some doing to spin out.

M
Old 05-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #28802
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I did mine on my Crosshairs with knobbies on today. Was riding my '4 dirt roads' ride.

I think I ended up in my 50 x 19 but I'd have to go look. Gearing is almost irrelevant as long as its somewhat hard to get going then takes some doing to spin out.

M
That's about what I figured. I have a decent spot to do intervals on the return leg of a short loop (30mi/2hr) where I might try this out.

I've read that intervals should really be their own workout, but is there any issue with an easy 1.5hr ride before, then doing them on the way home?
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #28803
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I couldn't even watch that to the end.

I hope it's not like that in reality.
My commute's a bit on the hairy side. No easy route since some stupid plate tectonics and economics separated my job and my house with a mountain range.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #28804
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
That's about what I figured. I have a decent spot to do intervals on the return leg of a short loop (30mi/2hr) where I might try this out.

I've read that intervals should really be their own workout, but is there any issue with an easy 1.5hr ride before, then doing them on the way home?
Personally? Warm up, do the efforts, ride more and/or cool down. I've done intervals in a 4hr ride, on their own, and as a part of the Wed Night Worlds (aka last nite's ride)

M
Old 05-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #28805
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Personally? Warm up, do the efforts, ride more and/or cool down. I've done intervals in a 4hr ride, on their own, and as a part of the Wed Night Worlds (aka last nite's ride)

M

Thanks. I'll see what I can do.

A buddy put a bug in my ear about coming out to race a crit and I know I don't have the speed, but should have the endurance.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #28806
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:

Thanks. I'll see what I can do.

A buddy put a bug in my ear about coming out to race a crit and I know I don't have the speed, but should have the endurance.
If you can find a place that has similar corners to the crit you're fixin to do, do the efforts out of the corners as practice.

You'll need it

M
Old 05-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #28807
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,813
Quote:
My commute's a bit on the hairy side. No easy route since some stupid plate tectonics and economics separated my job and my house with a mountain range.

I hate it when that happens.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:05 PM   #28808
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
If you can find a place that has similar corners to the crit you're fixin to do, do the efforts out of the corners as practice.

You'll need it

M
That sounds a lot like preparation.

IF I do it (big IF), I'm sure I'll be the slowest Cat 5 Fred out there. But hey, maybe I'll like it. Which would be great, since I have so much time to train... (/sarcasm)
Old 05-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #28809
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,963
My mate getting some air on his Marin Cortina

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:37 PM   #28810
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 5,940
Hey bicycle gang...

I'm back on the bike after a hellishly long and cold winter. Hell, they were ice fishing until a few weeks ago. Last year I managed to put a bit over 1250 miles on the Marin Four Corners, and I'm shooting for a 2500 mile season this year and reaping the benefits of last year's training.

I'm writing to ask about ideas for a second bike. I'm thinking of investing in a more mountain bike type ride, to replace my old Specialized Rockhopper which was sadly stolen a couple years back. Mainly I want to compliment the Four Corners, which is set up for road touring/commuting with street tires, rack, fenders, and all that.

What I'm interested in is a simple ride, not for really technical trail. If possible a rigid frame ride, but at minimum a hard tail.

I have been looking at bikes along the lines of the Surly Ogre or the Salsa Fargo 2. I know the Fargo is more of a cyclocross bike, but both of these appeal to my aesthetic and match my idea of need.

Any experience with these? Any other similar bikes which you might think are worth considering alongside these?

Since I'm back in the States for the summer, I'm kind of hoping to take advantage of the lower sales tax and strong euro to pick it up then.

Thanks for any advice.

FinlandThumper screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 11:54 PM
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:07 AM   #28811
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandThumper View Post
Hey bicycle gang...

I'm back on the bike after a hellishly long and cold winter. Hell, they were ice fishing until a few weeks ago. Last year I managed to put a bit over 1250 miles on the Marin Four Corners, and I'm shooting for a 2500 mile season this year and reaping the benefits of last year's training.

I'm writing to ask about ideas for a second bike. I'm thinking of investing in a more mountain bike type ride, to replace my old Specialized Rockhopper which was sadly stolen a couple years back. Mainly I want to compliment the Four Corners, which is set up for road touring/commuting with street tires, rack, fenders, and all that.

What I'm interested in is a simple ride, not for really technical trail. If possible a rigid frame ride, but at minimum a hard tail.

I have been looking at bikes along the lines of the Surly Ogre or the Salsa Fargo 2. I know the Fargo is more of a cyclocross bike, but both of these appeal to my aesthetic and match my idea of need.

Any experience with these? Any other similar bikes which you might think are worth considering alongside these?

Since I'm back in the States for the summer, I'm kind of hoping to take advantage of the lower sales tax and strong euro to pick it up then.

Thanks for any advice.

I think a ogre 29er would be a giant kick. but I've never ridden one, just oogled at the catalogs. that or the karate monkey.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:41 AM   #28812
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
That's one thing he does which I've told him is really, really, dumb: he installs stuff for free! No labor charge on anything bought in his store, and he's even installed parts at no cost that were purchased elsewhere. He may think it's a good way to attract customers, but what will happen is the same thing that's happened in my line of work: customers/clients will be appreciative the first time you do it, but the next time they'll expect it. Devaluing your work by giving it away for nothing is never good for business.
A chemist friend of mine got tired of his job and opened a bike shop some years ago and ran into the same "you must stock $$$$$$worth of our bikes or we won't let you sell them" criteria from some manufacturers. He could special-order bikes from them, but not be a stocking dealer unless blah blah blah. It put a serios hurt on his business - people want to see it, touch it, test ride it, not commit $$$$ for a bike they've never seen. Terrible catch 22. He did free tune-up service on bikes he sold (basically adjust the cables and brakes) for the first year, but all other service and parts installations were at the hourly shop rate, just like you'd pay at an aouto or motorcycle mechanic's shop. Why should it be any different because it's a bicycle?

This is gospel in any business - consulting, construction, retail. Your customers understand that you have to make a living to keep your shop open and services available, hopefully. My wife opened a Montessori pre-school a couple of years ago and is very good about offering tuition breaks to families who can't afford it. The break comes straight out of her profit margin, of course, because of all the fixed costs of running the business. She had a family express interest in bringing their child and asked if she could give them a tuition break; well, yes, if there's a need of course. They drove up the first day to drop the kid off in a Porsche Cayenne (a $75,000+ car?) and she dropped her jaw. A discussion ensued and the "customer" decided they couldn't afford the full tuition and took the child to another pre-school. Good riddance to customers like that! That was a real lesson to my wife - she can't offer her services to ANYONE if she can't keep the business afloat. She's a lot more careful about offering free or discounted services now, she has very good quality "customers", and her business is thriving.

Doug
Old 05-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #28813
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
A chemist friend of mine got tired of his job and opened a bike shop some years ago and ran into the same "you must stock $$$$$$worth of our bikes or we won't let you sell them" criteria from some manufacturers. He could special-order bikes from them, but not be a stocking dealer unless blah blah blah. It put a serios hurt on his business - people want to see it, touch it, test ride it, not commit $$$$ for a bike they've never seen. Terrible catch 22. He did free tune-up service on bikes he sold (basically adjust the cables and brakes) for the first year, but all other service and parts installations were at the hourly shop rate, just like you'd pay at an aouto or motorcycle mechanic's shop. Why should it be any different because it's a bicycle?

This is gospel in any business - consulting, construction, retail. Your customers understand that you have to make a living to keep your shop open and services available, hopefully. My wife opened a Montessori pre-school a couple of years ago and is very good about offering tuition breaks to families who can't afford it. The break comes straight out of her profit margin, of course, because of all the fixed costs of running the business. She had a family express interest in bringing their child and asked if she could give them a tuition break; well, yes, if there's a need of course. They drove up the first day to drop the kid off in a Porsche Cayenne (a $75,000+ car?) and she dropped her jaw. A discussion ensued and the "customer" decided they couldn't afford the full tuition and took the child to another pre-school. Good riddance to customers like that! That was a real lesson to my wife - she can't offer her services to ANYONE if she can't keep the business afloat. She's a lot more careful about offering free or discounted services now, she has very good quality "customers", and her business is thriving.

Doug

Good lessons learned there. I'm anticipating the high costs of keeping big company's bikes in stock, and will try to avoid that. I'll be looking at smaller, good quality companies to supply a line of in stock family bikes. I figure those are the rides people want to feel and touch and ride. The higher $2k+ rides, people (in my experience) know what they want and are ok to order if the price and service is right. I'm also really considering bike consignment, especially for rides right in that $500-$1,500 range, where a propective buyer is looking to move up from their box store bike, but needs to be convinced spending the cash is worth it. A quick ride on a much nicer ride at a discount will hopefully convince them.

Regarding people milking deals, BTDT. We used to have some punk come in with brand new everything (~$75k in/on his truck alone, easily) looking for hand outs all the time. Kid had a real attitude on him as well, he was daddy's (business owner) boy, and what he said went. My bosses had made the mistake of giving him a discount on a big order, and just like you and Aurelius said, he came to expect it. At the time our business was struggling in the recession, and this dick would come into an empty store with an attitude, swinging dad's cash around. When I worked with him he may* have recieved the dickbag price tax I assigned certain buyers. I'll have to check into that though? Happy to say 99% of the people I've worked with are good, honest people who expect to pay a little more for quality and service. I digress; I think discounts will be applied toward friends/family, 5-10% certificates to gain customer base, and sponsored shop riders. While not looking to become rich, I need to pay the bills.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:57 AM   #28814
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 5,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
I think a ogre 29er would be a giant kick. but I've never ridden one, just oogled at the catalogs. that or the karate monkey.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Seems that there are two bike shops in my home town in the USA which are "Stocking Dealers", so I hope that means there'd be one I could actually look at or even ride.

Problem here in Finland is that there's an "importer" who has rights to import their stuff...but doesn't import anything with no order, he only special orders stuff you buy in advance. Which is fine if you're ordering, let's say, some tires...but annoying if you're ordering something like this.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:00 AM   #28815
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,086
I'm very lucky (and work hard to stay that way ) that I get to work from home a lot. I live in rural Virginia where we are blessed with a zillion miles of amazing roads to ride, starting right at my driveway. I love to take a short 15 to 20 mile ride over my lunch hour, better than a cup of coffee for that afternoon slump! Imagine my disgust when I discovered the VDOT "fixing" the road in front of my house yesterday - ARGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick pass with a sweeper, layer of tar, layer of gravel, another layer of tar, another layer of gravel, a few passes with a roller, and GONE! Our work here is DONE, this road is totally "improved"! Granted the asphalt was a bit rough, but holy shite it's just absolutely HORRID now.

Maybe it's less bumpy for cars, but every one that goes by is slinging gravel and tar all over the place. It is almost impassable on a bicycle and will be for a very long time before it gets worn in. I got my WR250R out and rode the area a bit last night and found that they've "fixed" a lot of the roads nearby. Even on the little dirt bike with knobbies the shite is scary slick. The nearest good asphalt is now almost two miles from my driveway. I just put a new set of tires on my Surly cyclocross bike, got 3500 miles out of the last set but won't get anywhere near that out of these, not to mention how ferking rough the ride will be.

Gawd I hate chip seal!

The really sad news is that I washed my BMW GS yesterday for the first time in a year and now it will get all dusty again, and maybe some tar spots!

Thanks for listening to me rant. I love good, smooth asphalt or a good dirt road, but I just fooking hate chip seal.

Doug

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: