Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 238 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #28831
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
I read the link really quickly and thought "Cyclopedia of Fredding, that sounds like an awesome shop."

Old 05-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #28832
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
The rules have been around for years.

The only one I really care about is #5. We'll shout "HTFU" if one of us starts to snivel on a ride.

In the same vein, shouting, "Shut UP, legs!" is a great way to get a group laughing during a rough patch, assuming they know who Jens is. And they should, dammit.

I bought some black silicone wristbands that have Harden The Fuck Up embossed in them and handed them out to my team.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #28833
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Chip/seal always reminds me of that and how great it feels when you hit the smooth stuff again.
It's pretty much what we ride on out here on the small roads.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:48 AM   #28834
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
It's pretty much what we ride on out here on the small roads.
do you run 28's on your training rides in the marin, sonoma back roads? I would.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #28835
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,633
punk sounds like an example of why sometimes it's best to fire a customer.

i expect to pay a fair price for what i receive.
shops have done me many favors that are more valuable than the few bucks i might have milked out of them on discounts (for example, squeezing a quick fix into their sked, or ordering something for me on just a phone call), usually because i've earned 'Friend of Shop' status by not insisting on being first in line in front of others, or by helping a noob find something onthe shelves when the shop staff was swamped. in general, i try to be the kind of customer that i would want.
be a dickbag? expect to be treated/charged like one.

only shop advice i've seen here that hasn't already been mentioned in some of the other good advice might be to see if you can find a way to make space for a couch to go with that coffeemaker (if building a Shop Culture is the sort of thing you want). while the people who spend the most time there might not be the ones spending the most money, they're likely to be the ones who will spread the word about how Cool your shop is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Regarding people milking deals, BTDT. We used to have some punk come in with brand new everything (~$75k in/on his truck alone, easily) looking for hand outs all the time. Kid had a real attitude on him as well, he was daddy's (business owner) boy, and what he said went. My bosses had made the mistake of giving him a discount on a big order, and just like you and Aurelius said, he came to expect it. At the time our business was struggling in the recession, and this dick would come into an empty store with an attitude, swinging dad's cash around. When I worked with him he may* have recieved the dickbag price tax I assigned certain buyers. I'll have to check into that though? Happy to say 99% of the people I've worked with are good, honest people who expect to pay a little more for quality and service.

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #28836
zouch
part-time wanderer

pfft.

rules?
1. Ride.
2. ride where/when/what you like. like where/when/what you ride.
3. have your own rules; nobody elses matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
These guys seem to be trying way too hard to be badass,
http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Funny though.

'02 GS Adv
Old 05-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #28837
zouch
part-time wanderer

i've settled on 25s on my go-fast bike for most of the crappy roads around here (that happen to be the places i most like to ride), though it's as much because of my being "GS size", it makes sense to run a slightly larger tire as anything else.
25s might spin up a tad less quickly than 23s because of the rotating weight, but i can't say i notice a huge difference in rolling resistance. upside is they feel a bit cushier, and allow me to worry a little bit less about slamming the rims when ripping a heavily-textured descent.
i'm not unhappy with (high-quality) 23s and still have them for smoother situations, but 28s aren't an option as they wouldn't be able to fit in the CF fork.
on some bikes i've mixed slightly larger tires on the rear, but the current go-fast bike has crisp-enough geometry that i don't like the way it handles when the tires aren't a matched size.

the bikes i use for everything but go-fast generally don't wear anything smaller than 32s or larger. (the townie-fixie wears 42s; the lock-it-up-for-errands bike wears 1.95 'dual-sport-ish' tread.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
do you run 28's on your training rides in the marin, sonoma back roads? I would.

'02 GS Adv
Old 05-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #28838
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,456
I enjoyed this expansion of Rule #9.

It rains so much around here, I printed this out and hung it on my office door. Some days I need a kick in the ass to get out and make the first revolution of my cranks, after that I'm good.

ON RULE #9: LOVE THE WORK

by frank / Oct 31 2011 / 338 posts
Fitness. The rhythm, the feeling of precision in our movement, the sensations of The Ride. The temptation of knowing we might in some way control our suffering even as we push harder in spite of the searing pain in our legs and lungs. The notion that through suffering, we might learn something rudimentary about ourselves – that we might find a kind of salvation.

Cycling, like Art, is based on the elementary notion that through focussed study, we might better understand ourselves. But to describe Cycling as a an Art does it an injustice. An artist, they say, suffers because they must. A Cyclist, I suggest, suffers because we choose to.

This element of choice, what psychologists refer to as the locus of control, is part of what allows us to feel pleasure through suffering. Through this choice unfolds an avenue of personal discovery by which we uncover the very nature of ourselves. Like Michelangelo wielding his hammer to chip away fragments of stone that obscure a great sculpture, we turn our pedals to chip away at our form, eventually revealing our true selves as a manifestation of hard work, determination, and dedication to our craft.

Having chosen this path, we quickly find that riding a bicycle on warm, dry roads through sunny boulevards is the realm of the recreational cyclist. As winter approaches, the days get shorter and the weather worse. Form tempts us to greater things, but leaves us quickly despite our best intentions. Its taste lingers long upon the tongue and urges us to gain more. Even as life gets in the way, we cannot afford many days away from our craft before we find ourselves struggling to reclaim lost fitness.

To find form in the first place, and to maintain it in the second, is a simple matter of riding your bicycle a lot. This simple task asks of us, however, a year-round commitment to throwing our leg over a toptube in heat, cold, wind, rain, or sleet, lest we spend months fighting to reclaim last year’s lost condition.

But with riding in bad weather is revealed a hidden secret. It is in the rain and the cold, when all the seductive elements of riding a bicycle have vanished, that we are truly able to ensconce ourselves in the elemental qualities of riding a bicycle. Good weather and beautiful scenery, after all, are distractions from the work. Without them, we have only those elements that we ourselves bring to The Ride: the rhythm, harmony between rider and machine, our suffering, and our thoughts. As the rain pours down and all but the most devoted stay indoors, we pull on extra clothing and submit into the deluge.

We are the Few, we are the Committed. We are those who understand that riding in bad weather means you’re a badass, period.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #28839
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
punk sounds like an example of why sometimes it's best to fire a customer.

i expect to pay a fair price for what i receive.
shops have done me many favors that are more valuable than the few bucks i might have milked out of them on discounts (for example, squeezing a quick fix into their sked, or ordering something for me on just a phone call), usually because i've earned 'Friend of Shop' status by not insisting on being first in line in front of others, or by helping a noob find something onthe shelves when the shop staff was swamped. in general, i try to be the kind of customer that i would want.
be a dickbag? expect to be treated/charged like one.

only shop advice i've seen here that hasn't already been mentioned in some of the other good advice might be to see if you can find a way to make space for a couch to go with that coffeemaker (if building a Shop Culture is the sort of thing you want). while the people who spend the most time there might not be the ones spending the most money, they're likely to be the ones who will spread the word about how Cool your shop is.
Same here... All the shop guys know me, and while they do give me a small discount, i never have asked for a better price, or a discount... I also try and help people find stuff when the shop staff is swamped, and the staff will actually ask my opinion of stuff like how a pump worked out for me, or a multi tool, and they use me to sell bikes and accessories...LOL
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #28840
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,427
Just got home from a difficult, Rule#5 ride. 55.8 miles, 3:32, 3319 feet^, 15.9 average. I am shot, and making a big sandwich! I hope everyone had a safe, asshole free ride...
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #28841
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Just got home from a difficult, Rule#5 ride. 55.8 miles, 3:32, 3319 feet^, 15.9 average. I am shot, and making a big sandwich! I hope everyone had a safe, asshole free ride...
2:45 of safe-ish riding that included at least 3 s that I can remember. Mostly passing into oncoming traffic.

I looked at the weather maps for around here (DC Area) and saw a big ole open space in the rain clouds so I decided to go for it. Applying rule #5 like rbrsddn, I didn't even put on the fenders. After all, its gonna dry out, right?!

Not so fast, Private!

While it didn't rain on me but for a little bit, the roads were anything but dry. Finally put on the rain jacket (Xenon w/ half sleeves rawks!) at about the 1:15 mark. Then I got too sweaty to take it back off. Thank doG for wool!

So I got back and everything I was wearing was either soaked with water or soaked in sweat. ...but I was perfectly comfortable! Like I said: wook rawks!

My legs are toast (again.) Its been a long week. Easy tomorrow, off on Mon and it starts over.

M
Old 05-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #28842
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

I blew off the century I had been planning on riding today and instead paid down my sleep debt a bit then went on a solo multisurface ride. Temps were in the low 80s and there was a nice breeze to make the slog up to the South Fork lookout tolerable. No regrets.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #28843
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,968
What size is that front tyre? Looks massive for a cx tyre.
Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #28844
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
What size is that front tyre? Looks massive for a cx tyre.
It's a Clement LAS 700x33, the largest size allowed in cyclocross competition by the UCI. They measure 35mm wide as you see them in the photo. I've been running Kenda Slant Six and Small Block Eight in 700x35 and the Clements appear to have a greater volume than the Kendas...very cushy.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:59 AM   #28845
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
It's a Clement LAS 700x33, the largest size allowed in cyclocross competition by the UCI. They measure 35mm wide as you see them in the photo. I've been running Kenda Slant Six and Small Block Eight in 700x35 and the Clements appear to have a greater volume than the Kendas...very cushy.
Would a bike designed for cyclocross be any good on hard, smooth singletrack trails?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: