Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 501 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #28846
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
It's all about the engine. We have some guys that hit 40+mph, with a tailwind. I don't know if they can do it on a static day and flat land, though. With a tailwind, I've sustained 35mph over ~5mi. I couldn't break 40. YMMV.
If I could sustain 35mph for even ONE mile, I'd own all of the KOM's around here. No one goes that fast, at least on Strava.

Quote:
Yes you should. You owe it to yourself, because "to each their own". Properly set up, these bikes can be comfortable. Ironman competitors compete at 112mi, in events. Many of them train at 140-170mi distances, using a tri bike.

Also, you want to test ride the Shiv; not the Shiv TT. The Shiv is the Ironman, non-UCI legal bike. It's taller in stack height and is much more comfortable. The Shiv TT is slammed and is meant more for short-course competition.
The Ironman Shiv is the one I tried, not the TT version. Two years ago a local dealership let me take a Trek Speed Concept out for a spin, but it felt terrible. Not only was it a torture rack, it also felt very unstable trying to steer it with my elbows resting on those pads. In Trek's defense, that bike wasn't set up for me at all. They just pulled one off the floor, put some pedals on it and pushed me out the door.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #28847
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,827
Two discs get used in still air. If there is much crosswind it is a lot harder to keep things going in the right direction. That rear wheel being a disc provides a lot of area to blow one around. I've experienced that first hand, and it was not fun.
On the other hand in near still air on the track on a full-zoot funnybike speed is crazy.
Getting that thing wound up only to realize I was bolted to a fixed gear rocket whose only brakes were either my tiring legs or my skin wearing away against that slick concrete of the velodrome, I picked my legs and got things slowed rather slowly coming to rest against an infield light pole while I waited on my buddy to come untie my feet.
Sean Kelly had nothing to worry over with me.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #28848
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,826
I think I'll order a pair of Flo's Cyclings 60-mm wheels when they start their next round. Luckily, they also make clydesdale rear version.

k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #28849
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Sean Kelly had nothing to worry over with me.
Neither does Seana Hogan.

North American Transcontinental
9 days 4 hours 2 minutes
Six Time RAAM Winner - Most Solo Wins

Seattle - San Diego
3 days 16 hours 5 minutes
Fastest time for both men and women.

San Francisco - Los Angeles
19 hours 11 minutes
Fastest time for both men and women.

24 Hour Track
445.78 miles
World record

12 Hour Track
244.16 miles
World record, set enroute to the 24-hour record.

200 mile Track
9 hours 44 minutes 39 seconds
Set enroute to the 24-hour record.

100 mile Track
4 hours 42 minutes 54 seconds
Set enroute to the 24-hour record.

Seanna will race RAAM again after a...nine-year absence I believe. If I didn't have other events scheduled, I would have loved to crew for her and the team.

I've exchanged messages with her - comes across as down-to-earth.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #28850
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,920
Time for a ride report

Ok, yes, I'm a poser, yes, it isn't diddly squat compared to most of ya'lls ride reports, but for some reason, a few miles in to today's ride, I decided to pull out the camera and start snapping photos.
This is my typical "hill day" route. 27 miles, right at 1500 ft in climbing. Yes, not anything compared to you mountain dwellers, but my "flat day" ride is 20 or 28(two loops or three) with less than 400 feet in climbing.

I was five miles or so in when I started, but this is my typical road type. Chip sealed last year.

Going up KOM segment 2. Why don't I ride on the white line you ask?

It's George! Road. I'll come back down that later.

The road even less traveled - the third strava KOM

Uh oh, road closed?

Nah, looks like room for a bike to me!

And up some more

Finally! At the top. I'll just run this stop sign.

Welcome to Indiana. Our roads are just as crappy.

One heck of a nice homestead. That's just the stables, riding barn, and party barn. The house is way back beyond the lake.

Welcome back to Ohio.

Time for George, the fourth KOM segment. It's a nice downhill leading to it, but there's a messy, 120 degree corner at the bottom, so you can't carry a bit of momentum at the start.

Dammit, it sure looks steeper when riding...

And that crest you've been focusing on, yeah, here it is. Now do it again.

Nice view from the top

Why did the turkey cross the road?

Another stop sign to run.

Coming up on the old family homestead, and the last KOM. This was my great grandparents place 100 years ago.

And ready to fall off the top and back down the first KOM of the day. I was expecting a car to come passing that tractor at any time over the crest, but no bad drivers today.

Crossing the MUP, the main part of my easy flat ride route.

Heading past the in laws.

And the final push.

At this point, without fail, I know what comes next...

Fuckers. Every ride, both directions.

And then, that last little asskicker to get to the house. Once again, why don't you people stay on the white line?

And that's about all the hills I want to hit in a day. How you guys can ride thousands of feet in elevation in a ride is beyond me.

Time to eat.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #28851
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,817
Just sayin

M
Old 05-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #28852
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Ok, yes, I'm a poser, yes, it isn't diddly squat compared to most of ya'lls ride reports, but for some reason, a few miles in to today's ride, I decided to pull out the camera and start snapping photos.
This is my typical "hill day" route. 27 miles, right at 1500 ft in climbing. Yes, not anything compared to you mountain dwellers, but my "flat day" ride is 20 or 28(two loops or three) with less than 400 feet in climbing.

(snip)

And that's about all the hills I want to hit in a day. How you guys can ride thousands of feet in elevation in a ride is beyond me.

Time to eat.
Man, that looks so nice to me....all green!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #28853
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post

Time to eat.
Thanks for sharing. I really like rural Ohio.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #28854
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,827
That was a great report!

I like the looks of those hills. Though since I've not been on my bike for several months, much more than pooltable smooth and pitch is going to kick my butt.

Tomorrow morning I'll know what size the hill is I have to climb fitness wise.

Those narrow roads just look so cool with field right up to the pavement. Reminds me of riding with my brother in Iowa.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #28855
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Two years ago a local dealership let me take a Trek Speed Concept out for a spin, but it felt terrible. Not only was it a torture rack, it also felt very unstable trying to steer it with my elbows resting on those pads. In Trek's defense, that bike wasn't set up for me at all. They just pulled one off the floor, put some pedals on it and pushed me out the door.
Yeah, a tri bike needs to be setup for the rider, for sure. Pad placement and extension angle are hugely important. Furthermore, you'll need to learn to steer with your shoulders/upper body to reduce/slow bar input. Otherwise, you end up with the instability you describe. Don't steer with your elbows!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #28856
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
That was a great report!

I like the looks of those hills. Though since I've not been on my bike for several months, much more than pooltable smooth and pitch is going to kick my butt.

Tomorrow morning I'll know what size the hill is I have to climb fitness wise.

Those narrow roads just look so cool with field right up to the pavement. Reminds me of riding with my brother in Iowa.
Except for the fact that I've got more trees, that could be around here too.

Its easy to get lots of climbing in when your roads are either going up or down. Not a whole lot of flat just to my west.

M
Old 05-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #28857
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

Its easy to get lots of climbing in when your roads are either going up or down. Not a whole lot of flat just to my west.

M
That would be nice, here you have to hunt for hills.... Once you get out of town it isn't bad, but that is about 30 min riding in either direction. Kind of a bummer when you only get an hour to ride.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #28858
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
That would be nice, here you have to hunt for hills.... Once you get out of town it isn't bad, but that is about 30 min riding in either direction. Kind of a bummer when you only get an hour to ride.
I'm a dedicated non-climber. That 'no hills' thing sounds awesome!

M
Old 05-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #28859
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
I'm a dedicated non-climber. That 'no hills' thing sounds awesome!

M
It can be......
Grass is always greener.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:34 AM   #28860
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,920
Quote:
Thanks for sharing. I really like rural Ohio.
I actually live in the third most populated county in the state. It's a matter of choosing my route carefully. There's only one direction I can head without hitting traffic and urban sprawl. My rides have to go a half hour that direction before I can start just wandering down any road I come across without being stuck back on a road I prefer not to ride.

Quote:

Its easy to get lots of climbing in when your roads are either going up or down. Not a whole lot of flat just to my west. M
I pretty much have the option of going around the hills or up and over them. It makes pushing the rides a bit further easier as I know I always have the option to bail on the worst hills and go around them on the way home.
Quote:
That would be nice, here you have to hunt for hills....
Two years ago, I finally managed to get sent to Minnesota for work during the summer. Unlike winter trips there, when the only thing I found to do was sit in a bar, I was able to bring my bike and enjoy the weather. Yep, the riding sure is much easier up there, and the scenery is better too.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: