Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 274 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 05:35 AM   #28861
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
We have rain storms in the Summer months here in Florida. Now, I have no objection to riding my bike in the pouring rain, but when I mention this to local riders, they look at me as if I've just said something insane. Is there any reason why a modern road bike can't tolerate water? Are CF framed bikes more delicate than the steel framed ones we were all riding in the rain 40 years ago?
Its not delicate bikes, its delicate riders....LOL
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:43 AM   #28862
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
That's what I'm thinking.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:50 AM   #28863
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,089
Quote:
On my last two rides, I noticed a couple of cyclists slipping into position right behind me, close enough that I could barely see them any longer. I was traveling at a fairly high speed, so I assume they were drafting. Personally I couldn't care less if another rider hopes to save himself a few watts of energy that way, but it creates a dangerous situation if the rider in front doesn't realize there's anyone behind him. I mentioned this to a couple of friends who used to race, and they tell me it's not uncommon, referring to those who do it as "wheel suckers". Has anybody else in other parts of the country noticed this sort of thing?
Yep, and it's OK with me. As a matter of courtesy you should ask the person if you can get a little wheel. I have asked strangers before. I have invited people to do it if they wanted. It helps all involved riders.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:07 AM   #28864
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Yep, and it's OK with me. As a matter of courtesy you should ask the person if you can get a little wheel. I have asked strangers before. I have invited people to do it if they wanted. It helps all involved riders.
I don't think asking strangers would work in Florida. Some will think it constitutes 'stalking' and will likely shoot at you. Others will think that giving someone permission to ride that closely is to assume legal liability in the event of a crash.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:08 AM   #28865
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Link

Pop a wheelie of respect to Al -

Only the cool kids had the stick shifter. I was never so lucky.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:10 AM   #28866
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
Basically, that's the nutshell.

Fenders rawk.

Gore Tex rawks.

Rule #5 applies. So does Rule #9

I'll probably get wet again today.

You should see the water that pours out of my TCR after a rain ride!

M
Old 05-21-2013, 06:13 AM   #28867
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
I don't think asking strangers would work in Florida. Some will think it constitutes 'stalking' and will likely shoot at you. Others will think that giving someone permission to ride that closely is to assume legal liability in the event of a crash.
Its not like they can do a whole lot about it. Its VERY hard to ride someone off you wheel.

Basically what you're doing is being polite and letting people know that you're there so there's no surprises.

...AND... if something happens, its typically the guy in the back that goes down. AMHIK

M
Old 05-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #28868
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 998
Gummee, a question if you will. I just acquired a new to me bike with 9 speed Ultegra triple. I happen to have a 10 speed cassette. Are they compatible?
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #28869
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812 View Post
Gummee, a question if you will. I just acquired a new to me bike with 9 speed Ultegra triple. I happen to have a 10 speed cassette. Are they compatible?
hubs? yes

Chain? Shifters? No

M
Old 05-21-2013, 06:31 AM   #28870
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Its not like they can do a whole lot about it. Its VERY hard to ride someone off you wheel.

Basically what you're doing is being polite and letting people know that you're there so there's no surprises.

...AND... if something happens, its typically the guy in the back that goes down. AMHIK

M
Exactly. And because you gave them permission to ride behind you in the first place, their lawyer will say that you are culpable for the accident. That's how it works around here.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:33 AM   #28871
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Exactly. And because you gave them permission to ride behind you in the first place, their lawyer will say that you are culpable for the accident. That's how it works around here.
What a sad, sad state of affairs. :shakeshead

Course, in my case, good luck getting blood out of a rock. I ain't got nuthin for em to go after.

M
Old 05-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #28872
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
hubs? yes

Chain? Shifters? No

M
That is what I thought but I knew you would know for sure. Pictures coming later today gotta ride it first. No special tricks to cutting an aluminum steerer, correct? For an aero bike the previous owner had an uncut steerer and the bars mounted at the very top. I have become flexible enough that I can ride with them at the very bottom, but will do a couple hours first to verify before I do any cutting. How much stem should I leave when I do cut?
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #28873
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
That is what I thought but I knew you would know for sure. Pictures coming later today gotta ride it first. No special tricks to cutting an aluminum steerer, correct? For an aero bike the previous owner had an uncut steerer and the bars mounted at the very top. I have become flexible enough that I can ride with them at the very bottom, but will do a couple hours first to verify before I do any cutting. How much stem should I leave when I do cut?
Before you start cutting, swap spacers from below to above the stem. Its better to have it too long than not long enough. DAMHIK

If I have too much steerer, I have a tendency to leave it 'cause the next guy down the line may not be as flexible as I am.

When cutting a steerer tube, always leave a few mm over the top of the stem. Run a spacer (3mm/5mm) on top of the stem to ensure maximum clamping ability.

M
Old 05-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #28874
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
On a triple there is absolutely no real need for a 10 speed over a 9.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #28875
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,198
If it's a warm rain, I don't mind going & doing a set of interval laps. I won't ride on open roads. I might be delicate, but it's delicate compared to a 2000lb vehicle.

I've had some guys settle out on my wheel before when I'm riding from Baltimore to Annapolis on the BWI trail. The only time it was ever a problem was when a dad towing a trailer cut across traffic and I had to get on the brakes. I felt a bump, the wheelsucker had hit tire-to-tire he was riding so close. Nobody went down, however, and he was very apologetic.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: