User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 292 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #28981
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,971
Another 'Rule #5' ride today. Even tho I waited till the rain stopped, it was still VERY windy.

My riding buddy accused me of hammering up the hills so he started hammering up the hills so I HAD to hammer up the hills.

...all into one heck of a headwind!

The ride back was mostly tailwind

2:17 of 'not going easy' and my legs are dead again.

M
Old 05-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #28982
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,667
Had a beautiful ride today. 66 and sunny, just lovely. It was one of those "always a headwind" days though.... The only time the wind was to my back was the last mile to my house. Can't complain, though.

22 miles in 1.5 hrs. Lots of stops for lights and traffic, so not that bad.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #28983
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Two of the UK’s biggest motoring schools, the AA and BSM, will give learner drivers dedicated instruction on how to drive safely around cyclists.

“I am personally committed to breaking down the ‘two tribes’ attitude displayed between some drivers and cyclists. Often we are the same people,” King said. “This new module means we now have a standardised approach to teaching learners how to drive safely around cyclists from two of the country’s leading driving schools. I am convinced that this initiative will change attitudes and save lives.”

Its a start anyway. I hope it'll catch on here, but I seriously doubt it.

M
Old 05-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #28984
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Yeah, a tri bike needs to be setup for the rider, for sure. Pad placement and extension angle are hugely important. Furthermore, you'll need to learn to steer with your shoulders/upper body to reduce/slow bar input. Otherwise, you end up with the instability you describe. Don't steer with your elbows!
I test rode the Shiv and Speed Concept yesterday. Both bikes proved to be unexpectedly user friendly on local roads. I can see how either one could serve as your daily ride. In the racing position though, the Trek was a bit scary, even in a straight line. The slightest movement sends it veering off course, and the front end has an annoying tendency to fall into the turns. I'm told this is because the Speed Concept has a more aggressive steering geometry and places more of the rider's weight over the forks than the Shiv does. I could not verify any claims about their superior speed because the roads just weren't long enough to get me up to 35mph+ without having to brake for an intersection. Neither bike was what I'd call a fun ride. Certainly not compared to any of the current crop of road bikes I've ridden. Unless I was involved in time trials or iron man contests, I can't see a reason to want one.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #28985
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Unless I was involved in time trials or iron man contests, I can't see a reason to want one.
exactly

M
Old 05-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #28986
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Attention everyone. I have an announcement!

I have a case of the screw-its today.

That is all. Carry on

M
Old 05-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #28987
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 66,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Thanks for sharing. I really like rural Ohio.
I feel like I need to ride in the midwest. I hear Wisconsin is pretty wonderful.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #28988
kbasa
Colnago!

Here's yesterday's Sonoma County adventure. My GPS croaked at about 86 miles or so, right on what I thought was the worst climb of the whole day.

If you're interested, drop in to see this little gem: http://app.strava.com/activities/56370855#1033391407

Old 05-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #28989
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,187
Bag Balm

I just finished my longest ever ride, 340 miles over six days. Great fun, and I'm ready for more rides like that. At the start of the ride, my buddy was going on and on and on about lubing his crotch, and he even got me a fresh tin of lube - Bag Balm, for cow teats. I was skeptical, and rode "dry" for the first 70 miles. On the second day, I decided to give it a try, and was very pleased with how it works. No rash, no friction, no strangeness at all... just easy pedaling, all day long. Good stuff.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #28990
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I just finished my longest ever ride, 340 miles over six days. Great fun, and I'm ready for more rides like that. At the start of the ride, my buddy was going on and on and on about lubing his crotch, and he even got me a fresh tin of lube - Bag Balm, for cow teats. I was skeptical, and rode "dry" for the first 70 miles. On the second day, I decided to give it a try, and was very pleased with how it works. No rash, no friction, no strangeness at all... just easy pedaling, all day long. Good stuff.
I like Belgium Butter.

Not the Euro style stuff with that tingly stuff, just the normal stuff. It's crucial.

Where'd you guys go?

Old 05-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #28991
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
I like Belgium Butter.

Not the Euro style stuff with that tingly stuff, just the normal stuff. It's crucial.

Where'd you guys go?
I won't go riding again without it, great stuff. We did parts of what you covered yesterday, but started from Berkeley, up through Napa Valley, over to Healdsburg, then to Cloverdale, Boonville, out Navarro, then back down the coast on highway 1, all the way through Muir Beach, then home on BART. It's sure strange to go from pastoral coastal route to the east sidewalk of the Golden Gate Bridge! Here's a map:

The route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2183399

And some pictures: http://diesel.smugmug.com/Bici/May-Ride/

We stayed with friends and family, then used credit cards at motels, no camping gear on this trip. Funny thing, over the week, we saw only five other cyclo-tourists, and four of them were riding the coastal route from Seattle. Of course, lots of fast day-riders out there, some of 'em crazy enough to be riding north on the coast, into the wind. We fought some fierce winds last week, along 128 west of Cloverdale, but they also provided a tailwind push once we got turned south.

This worked out so well, I'm looking forward to some longer day rides, 70 - 100 miles. Might see you out there.

Andrew screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 02:29 PM
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #28992
kbasa
Colnago!

Wow. That's awesome!

Old 05-26-2013, 10:59 PM   #28993
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Wow. That's awesome!
+1. Good job, Andrew!

FWIW, I used Bag Balm for while and it worked well enough. However, it doesn't wash out as well as dedicated chamois cream and builds up in the chamois. I switched to DZ Nuts a while back. It's a bit pricey, but worth it if you've ever suffered with saddle sores.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:41 AM   #28994
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
+1. Good job, Andrew!

FWIW, I used Bag Balm for while and it worked well enough. However, it doesn't wash out as well as dedicated chamois cream and builds up in the chamois. I switched to DZ Nuts a while back. It's a bit pricey, but worth it if you've ever suffered with saddle sores.
I'll second that. Assos is probably the best, but its pricey. You can DIY pretty much an Assos clone with Eucerin, tea tree oil, and some 'kills everything' kind of goop. There's a recipe on the web.

Me? Went out for 2.5hrs. Ran across the hash and stopped in to say howdy. Rode home then went back and had a beer with them. This particular group... meh. They've kinda lost the plot a little. More annoying than fun.

Then I played UW Hockey later in the evening. I was half a step behind the play the whole game. ...and it killed my legs so I'm going short again today.

M
Old 05-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #28995
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I experience soreness after about 30 miles, but it's not from friction. I think it's just a case of a lack of blood flow to the tissue from continual pressure. Does this Bag Balm (or any other product) relieve that sort of thing?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: