Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 06:34 AM   #28996
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I experience soreness after about 30 miles, but it's not from friction. I think it's just a case of a lack of blood flow to the tissue from continual pressure. Does this Bag Balm (or any other product) relieve that sort of thing?
Nope. That's a hardware issue not a software issue

IOW your bike don't fit right

M
Old 05-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #28997
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Nope. That's a hardware issue not a software issue

IOW your bike don't fit right

M
I get the same soreness when I ride a motorcycle or drive my car long distances. The Adamo saddle I'm using now is much more comfortable than any other saddle I've ever tried, but soreness will result no matter what I sit on.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #28998
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
I experience soreness after about 30 miles, but it's not from friction. I think it's just a case of a lack of blood flow to the tissue from continual pressure. Does this Bag Balm (or any other product) relieve that sort of thing?
Generally not, the cremes are good for friction, but you're describing a fit/ body compatibility problem with either the saddle or saddle positioning, or possibly shorts.

Most saddles have too much and/or too soft padding, when your sit bones sink down into it, it squishes up into your soft parts.
Sometimes if the saddle is angled it can cause issues, especially when you're on the drops (saddle angled upward) .
Generally the saddle should be completely level, or angled down very slightly.

I have Brooks saddles on both bikes now (no padding at all) and I'm a very happy camper.

... just caught your reply, have you tried standing a bit after 1/2 hour or so, or otherwises shifting your positioning a bit during the ride?
Are you getting just the same pain bike, moto or car, or is it different in the various situations?
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #28999
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
I have Brooks saddles on both bikes now (no padding at all) and I'm a very happy camper.
I like Brooks as well.
I like Selle Anatomica better though.

Also, Tweek that seat angle, Thomson are micro adjust for a reason...
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #29000
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
I've heard of people doing similar mods to Brooks B17's, don't think I'd do it on my Swallow though.

OTH, there are these;
http://sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

(Lots of good fit/saddle info elsewhere on Sheldon's site, BTW)
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #29001
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,453
The Potential Inside

Have you seen, "The Potential Inside"? A bit "preachy" but some of the better cycling scenes and depictions I've seen recently.

It helps that the main actor, Scott Curlee, has a background in racing.

Again, it's a faith-based movie but if you're not into that, the cycling bits are worth it. It has something for both mountain bikers and roadies.

One review.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #29002
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,884
Quote:
As others note, the Bag Balm, or other creams, are for reducing friction. I have a strange style of riding... I pedal uphill, and coast downhill and quite often stand off the seat while coasting. This gives some relief from the pressure of the sit bones on the saddle. On this trip, the soreness came on around 40 miles into the day, but I suppose I can get further with more training.

I ride Brooks saddles, no complaints, they fit and hold me quite well, now that they're broken in.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #29003
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
Generally not, the cremes are good for friction, but you're describing a fit/ body compatibility problem with either the saddle or saddle positioning, or possibly shorts.

Most saddles have too much and/or too soft padding, when your sit bones sink down into it, it squishes up into your soft parts.
Sometimes if the saddle is angled it can cause issues, especially when you're on the drops (saddle angled upward) .
Generally the saddle should be completely level, or angled down very slightly.

... just caught your reply, have you tried standing a bit after 1/2 hour or so, or otherwises shifting your positioning a bit during the ride?
Are you getting just the same pain bike, moto or car, or is it different in the various situations?
Yes, changing my position from time to time does help, but for some reason it only seems to work on the Adamo saddle. When I shift back and forth on a more traditionally shaped saddle, the pressure points remain in the same place. On the Adamo, pushing myself further back seems to move the pressure points to a different part of my 'sit bones'. I can manage about 2 hours on an Adamo, but only about half an hour on a conventional saddle (I've tried many). Two hours is nice, but it's still not enough time for me to do very long 60-100 mile rides, which I might one day want to do. I have had numerous 'fitters' at bicycle shops study my posture and seat position, but none of them could find anything wrong. It may just boil down to the sharpness & contours of my hips causing more severe pressure points than most other people experience.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #29004
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

If its sit bone issues, the only thing that fixes that is time in the saddle. Keep riding it till it don't hurt.

Now if you're talking taint pain, that's another story

M
Old 05-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #29005
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,390
58 miles Uphill both ways. Legs hurt. Beer
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #29006
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,131
I'm a Brooks B-17 Imperial user. It's not crowned like a standard B-17. Also, it has a cutout. There are many Brooks users who've modified their saddles with various cutouts and thinning of material. YMMV.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #29007
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
If its sit bone issues, the only thing that fixes that is time in the saddle. Keep riding it till it don't hurt.
But why would it stop hurting? If the pain is caused by pressure closing off the capillaries in the skin, wouldn't that continue no matter how long you've been riding? Unless of course you're saying that eventually the nerves sensing the pain will simply die.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #29008
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
But why would it stop hurting? If the pain is caused by pressure closing off the capillaries in the skin, wouldn't that continue no matter how long you've been riding? Unless of course you're saying that eventually the nerves sensing the pain will simply die.
Adaptation

My 690R seat was killing me during the first 4,000km of a 14,000km trip, the pain was so bad I was looking forward to gas stations, pee stops, anything to get off the bike. I forgot about the seat by the 6th day or so and only remembered it was painful when some chap asked me how the seat was much later on.

inyang screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 03:03 PM
inyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #29009
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Basically 'they all do that' when you're starting out. After riding for a few weeks straight, it don't hurt any more.

If you ride once in a while, you'll go thru that adaptation phase over and over and over and...

Happens to me when I take more than a few days off the bike too. Unlike you, I know its temporary. Yes, it still sucks. S'one of the reasons I don't like taking time off. That and I become 'hard to live with.'

Now, if you're riding a road bike daily and it STILL hurts after a few weeks, THEN I'd say 'see a doctor.' Mtn biking doesn't count. IME you stand up so often mtn biking that its just not the same

M
Old 05-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #29010
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,517
Friday I got out for a ride. First one in a while. Shortish only 27 miles and beat me pretty good. I never had to stop or walk, but my legs were noodles by the time I got home.

My 60th birthday, then we went to lunch, then packed the house up into the car and went off to a rented beach house for the weekend.

I'll get a ride in tomorrow, I think.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: