Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 498 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #28996
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
now color me old fashion but, the impression I've gotten is, those Zipp wheels are for full out racing, and are fairly fragile, NOT something you'd want to be using on your every-day training ride, unless you bleed money and don't care.
Zipps are not fragile at all. I don't know how many miles I have on mine, but, they were my daily wheels and have hit several potholes (one at 50+mph). They are as true as new.

Some of the hammerheads out of one of the LBSs.

Me rockin' a gravel road on an 808 rear/404 front.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #28997
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 69,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Thanks, Barry - that was great.
That was pretty cool.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #28998
kbasa
Colnago!

A pretty fine ride today. Plenty of amazing views, 3 bakeries, a deli and terrific company.

For the NorCal locals, that route is pretty terrific, both on a motorcycle or bicycle. Get the GPX here: http://ridewithgps.com/trips/1370994

The three bakeries are Wildflour, who have amazing scones and coffee in Freestone, Tomales Bakery (try the puff daddies) and the Bovine Bakery in Petaluma. The weather was warm inland and a little chilly on the shore. It was pretty nice.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #28999
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,823
Nice!
One of my goals for this summer is to hit the 100 mile mark on a ride. My closest bakery is perfectly situated at the beach about 35 miles out. Also a great overlook for chewing, and breakfast burritos as big as a small cottage.
I got out yesterday and am about to head off again today. Not long or fast, my Strava later from the computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
A pretty fine ride today. Plenty of amazing views, 3 bakeries, a deli and terrific company.

For the NorCal locals, that route is pretty terrific, both on a motorcycle or bicycle. Get the GPX here: http://ridewithgps.com/trips/1370994

The three bakeries are Wildflour, who have amazing scones and coffee in Freestone, Tomales Bakery (try the puff daddies) and the Bovine Bakery in Petaluma. The weather was warm inland and a little chilly on the shore. It was pretty nice.

My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #29000
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
So I wander over to my riding buddy's house to meet him and another B for a little wander thru the backroads of Fauquier Co, VA.

Told him 'I'm OK for 2.5-3hrs.'

Famous last words, right?!

So we get to the turnoff for the short version of the loop we're doing. I look down at the computer and notice that we're making darn good time. 'Hey, ya wanna go to Brandy Station and loop back that way?'

Sure!

So we head to Brandy Station (civil war battle happened there) and just before we get there I asked 'Hey, y'all want to go straight and hit Kelly's Ford or turn left and start back.'

Let's go straight! (IOW Kelly's Ford)

'K. Now we're aiming for 3.5+'

So basically, we ended up doing the latter half of my birthday ride. The other B is a former Cat 1 or 2 (I haven't gotten a straight answer yet) and can lay down some power! So we were going quicker than just B and I alone.

Ended up with 64.4mi on the day in 3:41 of moving time. There was a grand total of 3k of climbing. None of it was 'big hills.' It was all rolly.

Hope y'all had a good weekend of riding

M
Old 06-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #29001
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Ended up with 64.4mi on the day in 3:41 of moving time. There was a grand total of 3k of climbing. None of it was 'big hills.' It was all rolly.

Hope y'all had a good weekend of riding

M
Nothing as dramatic. I've been riding with a slow-ass meet up group but they're really nice people. We start out at 15 mph and the rides are in the 30-35 mile range. I ride from my home and stop at McD's for a quick bite for breakfast which means I'm up at 0445 and on the road by 0500.

I ride behind the group to mainly stay out of harm's way. Most of them are good riders but again, the pace is slow. I'll maintain my spot until we're about halfway home and then I'll take off in my own.

Several of them will usually try to jump on the back of my wheel but, as you might guess, I pick my spots to my advantage, not theirs. I'm not real fast but I can maintain 29-30 mph long enough to drop anyone who attempts to hang on. .

Anyway, a little "Cat 6" racing is good for the heart. 48 miles total. My Garmin indicated 103 but it's a few degrees high. It was more like 99-100 at the most.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #29002
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
My Garmin indicated 103 but it's a few degrees high. It was more like 99-100 at the most.
Must be a Garmin thing 'cause mine reads a few degrees high allatime too.

M
Old 06-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #29003
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,823
Yesterday I was going to rest.

Was. Didn't. went down the bike path and stopped for fuel at the LBS. I got to see the new 1X11 mtb. Nice.
I'd still go full-squish. Thought about the 60 mile ride but it is hills and for me I'd be pushing 75 for a total. Not in that sort of condition.

Caught on a couple who were motoring a little. Well, he was. I pulled through and they let up. We did this a few times. Fun to catch people half my age and have them slow down. I did not feel real strong on the hill back home after hanging out at the LBS for a little too long. The good thing was that by the time I headed home from the shop the weather had cooled a little.

Today I got a late start after running down for coffee and a bagel at a not so local coffee shop, then home to stream motoGP then make breakfast. Scottish oats and dried fruit, topped with a little yogurt.

I hit the road with a little sore tummy and a mild head ache. Not the best way to get things rolling. I figured I'd just drink a lot of cold water and see how things went.

By the time I got back here, turning around at 18 and a bit due to my head and back, I felt pretty bad. My head ache had become fuzzy vision and my back was killing me. I didn't push hard at all, kept my speed around 15 mph or so as I could. There was/is a good headwind today. Maybe 20 mph.

Funny part is when I laid down to cool down about 15 minutes after getting home, my heart rate was only 65 bpm.
Maybe I'm not working hard enough yet?

So, with a weeks vacation I've managed to ride 163 miles. I won't get long rides in during the week, but I'm hoping for a couple hours. That should get me around 26 per ride. Then I can get in a longer ride come the weekends.
I figure a couple weeks of this and some walking and maybe a run or three and I should be ready for hills again.
Then I can begin planning my 100 loop.
Oh, and today even as bad as my head felt I didn't have to go all the way to the bottom to climb the hill.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #29004
kbasa
Colnago!

Goblet squats.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #29005
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Pinehurst Road, courtesy of Nomiles.

So awesome.

It's still there, I rode past today, right below the top. I should carry striping paint next time...
Old 06-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #29006
kbasa
Colnago!

That's totally awesome. That's some nice riding out there.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #29007
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,770
Zipp Firecrest 808's ride review

Yesterday I felt that my legs had finally recovered enough from some heavy lifting at the gym to give the 808's a try on my favorite local trail. A Cat 3 racer who rides a bike identical to mine told me what to expect: a ~2mph increase in speed, and an ability to maintain high speeds with less effort.

I rode a 30 mile loop and compared my results with my previous ones on Strava. To my disappointment, I did not see any difference in top speed: a segment by segment comparison showed that I was traveling at almost exactly the same speeds as before (20-22 mph). The differences that did show up were minor ones, certainly not great enough to attribute to the 808's superior aerodynamics. More on this later.

Cross winds: I picked this trail because part of it winds around a lake where there are no trees or buildings. It's an area known to local riders for generating vicious cross winds. Iv'e experienced its effects even with the stock wheels, which are less than half as deep in profile as the 808's. Yesterday was no different, but this time there was only a small amount of noticeable deflection to the front wheel, not the kind that would push you into the next lane, as I'd expected. Zipp's website mentioned that they'd managed to shape the 808's cross section to minimize deflection from cross winds, but I dismissed it as advertising hype until I'd seen it for myself. It really does work. What does happen is that the bike will lean to the side more noticeably than it does with the stock wheels, but it will continue to follow the same line. Pretty amazing.

Acceleration: Given the slight increase in rotating mass over the stock wheels, I was concerned that the bike would feel more sluggish, particularly so when accelerating from a dead stop at cross walks and stop signs. Happily that turned out not to be the case. There must be a difference, but it was too small for me to notice. Three other riders from a local Trek store test rode the bike and commented how rapidly it accelerated, even with those large dish wheels. All of them had predicted that those 'heavy' wheels would make the bike feel slow.

Maintaining speed: This is the one area in which I really did notice a significant improvement over the stock wheels. It happened on the last portion of the ride, when I was already feeling a bit fatigued. There's a two mile stretch at this point which is pretty flat and free of driveways, so I got the bike up to about 24 mph and just held it there. At some point my legs started to tire out, so I backed off just a bit, but the GPS reading held steady at 24 mph. Toward the end, it had even increased to 25 mph, even though I wasn't pedaling any harder. I thought this might be due to an imperceptible change in the slope of the road, but when I mentioned it to one of the local racers, he said that the 808's don't do much for you at speeds below 24 mph, which is just the speed I'd been traveling. No doubt they'd be even more impressive in this regard at higher speeds, but I'd need to go out there on fresh legs to determine that.

Bottom line: For the average reasonably fast rider, I'd say the Zipp 808's are a waste of money. For the $3000 retail price of these wheels, you can get a pretty nice road bike, and unless you're averaging 27 mph local Cat 3 racers or above are capable of, you're never going to notice the advantage they confer. Luckily I've got these on loan for a while longer, so I may change my mind after another few rides.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #29008
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Bottom line: For the average reasonably fast rider, I'd say the Zipp 808's are a waste of money. For the $3000 retail price of these wheels, you can get a pretty nice road bike, and unless you're averaging 27 mph local Cat 3 racers or above are capable of, you're never going to notice the advantage they confer. Luckily I've got these on loan for a while longer, so I may change my mind after another few rides.
I can tell you from personal experience that the faster you go, the better those wheels work. ...even the ancient first gen 440s!

I also know that 'at speed' every little bit helps.

So... try riding those wheels at 30-35mph for a bit and get back to us.

M
Old 06-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #29009
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I can tell you from personal experience that the faster you go, the better those wheels work. ...even the ancient first gen 440s!

I also know that 'at speed' every little bit helps.
There's no doubt in my mind that they're worth the $$ to a racer. I just can't see how a few KOM's is worth three grand.

Quote:
So... try riding those wheels at 30-35mph for a bit and get back to us.
I know of only one place where I can attain that speed and hold it long enough for such a test. I'll be headed out there next weekend.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #29010
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Here's a link to a clip of some of the roads you can/will ride on the Devil's Backbone ride that's coming up at the end of Aug

Fun stuff

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: