Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 294 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #29011
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 66,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I get the same soreness when I ride a motorcycle or drive my car long distances. The Adamo saddle I'm using now is much more comfortable than any other saddle I've ever tried, but soreness will result no matter what I sit on.
I'm a big fan of my Adamo, but after a while even it gets uncomfortable.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #29012
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
58 miles Uphill both ways. Legs hurt. Beer

I so wanted to get out today but given the shitty weather the past couple days and the fact I am on a trip to Vermont next weekend and the Canadian GP the weekend after I had to do yard work all freakin' day
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #29013
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
I'm a big fan of my Adamo, but after a while even it gets uncomfortable.
I've got one of these on my mountain bike:

Looks dreadful I know, but for some reason its no less comfortable than the much more inviting seats I've tried out.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #29014
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,588
Last year, I attempted the Double Metric at the Mountains of Misery. I got on the SAG wagon at mile 86, 11,000' of climbing with a knee injury. That put me off serious riding for about 2 months and I wasn't really able to "train" until around Christmas. This spring, I was training for a run and tore my Gastrocnemius (calf muscle). It was a moderate tear but cycling didn't hurt too much, although I still can't run any appreciable distance (2 months later).

I've been hitting Cycle X at the gym twice weekly and doing training on my own...intervals, base miles and long rides as I felt like it.

There were a couple of tough days where my gastroc. hurt and my knee was inflamed (same leg) so I rested as I needed.

I reckon it worked!

I finished the MoM century in 9h34m. 104 miles, 10,000' of climbing. Yeah, it was a relatively slow time but, I didn't walk my bike! It is pretty damn good for me since I just took up serious cycling a couple of years ago. For those riders who wonder if they can do it...find a training program that you can stick to...and stick to it!

Before (top) and After (bottom).

The finish was a brutal climb (this map is from last year, this years route was 3 miles longer)

Things I've ate/cooked.
dolomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #29015
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Nice short ride tonight

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #29016
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Friday I got out for a ride. First one in a while. Shortish only 27 miles and beat me pretty good. I never had to stop or walk, but my legs were noodles by the time I got home.

My 60th birthday, then we went to lunch, then packed the house up into the car and went off to a rented beach house for the weekend.

I'll get a ride in tomorrow, I think.
Happy birday!

M
Old 05-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #29017
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolomoto View Post
Last year, I attempted the Double Metric at the Mountains of Misery. I got on the SAG wagon at mile 86, 11,000' of climbing with a knee injury. That put me off serious riding for about 2 months and I wasn't really able to "train" until around Christmas. This spring, I was training for a run and tore my Gastrocnemius (calf muscle). It was a moderate tear but cycling didn't hurt too much, although I still can't run any appreciable distance (2 months later).

I've been hitting Cycle X at the gym twice weekly and doing training on my own...intervals, base miles and long rides as I felt like it.

There were a couple of tough days where my gastroc. hurt and my knee was inflamed (same leg) so I rested as I needed.

I reckon it worked!

I finished the MoM century in 9h34m. 104 miles, 10,000' of climbing. Yeah, it was a relatively slow time but, I didn't walk my bike! It is pretty damn good for me since I just took up serious cycling a couple of years ago. For those riders who wonder if they can do it...find a training program that you can stick to...and stick to it!

Before (top) and After (bottom).

The finish was a brutal climb (this map is from last year, this years route was 3 miles longer)
Awesome! Congrats!

M
Old 05-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #29018
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 866
Had a nice ride in the rain today after over a week off the bike due to work encroaching on ride time. Afterward, I found that there are a few lessons I apparently have to learn over and over again:

1) DON'T TAKE A WEEK OFF, DAMMIT!!! Work late? Tired? When you get home grab a quick nap, eat a PB&J and tell the wife not to hold up dinner for you. THEN GO GET ON THE BIKE, STUPID!

2) So long as it's not coming down in buckets or making lightning like one of Nikola Tesla's wet dreams, riding in the rain can be a pleasant and relaxing experience.

3) Fenders. Get some.

4) Unless there is no other route available, never, EVER, try to ride across a bridge with a glass deck in the wet. I imagine my plight provided some comic relief for that Indian tourist group.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #29019
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,888
I'm not big on souvenirs or hanging personal mementoes on the wall but the jersey from the Stampede is so nice, I thought it'd be a nice one to have framed.

Prior to the event, at the rider's meeting, the organizer mentioned that he had an extra one for sale and he'd make someone a good deal. When I got home, I regretted not buying it from him but a few emails later, it was on it's way to Phoenix.

When I checked framing prices, I wasn't too shocked to find the going rate to have a jersey framed was $300-$500. No way - I decided to give it a shot myself.

I purchased from mounting boards from Michaels - invested an hour or two this afternoon and here's the results:

I may try to get one or two of the remaining wrinkles out - but for now, I'll leave it alone. The framing material was ordered this afternoon and I'll watch for a local sale on the mats and glass to finish it up.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:05 AM   #29020
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
If its sit bone issues, the only thing that fixes that is time in the saddle. Keep riding it till it don't hurt.

Now if you're talking taint pain, that's another story

M
Crazy thing happened to me. I got a cyclocross bike after being off the bike for many years.
My back bugs me so I went with the newer idea of a higher bar. I used to ride all the time with a high seat and low bar early 90s mtn bike.
Anyway my ass could never get comfortable. Different seats different seat post heights I just could never push through the pain and stopped riding. Until I got a used mtn bike from a buddy. This bike was set up in the old school high seat low bars. No high rise bars. And straight away I could ride much much further. While I still had pain on the soft tissue between my sit bones and the seat it was no where near as bad as before. And it was the kind of pain that feels like it'll go away with some miles in the

While i know that bike fit critical it surprised me that the handlebar height would play such a big roll in seat comfort.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:28 AM   #29021
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
While i know that bike fit critical it surprised me that the handlebar height would play such a big roll in seat comfort.
Have a look at this diagram of the human pelvis.

Notice how the shape of the sit bones varies quite a bit along their outer edge. Lower handlebars tilt the pelvis forward, whereas higher handlebars roll the pelvis to the rear. If your handlebar height causes you to place more of your weight on the sharper curves of the ischium, you'll naturally experience greater discomfort than if you were to sit on the flatter portions.

One of the fitters at a local bike store tells me that some riders prefer putting most of their weight on the pubis rather than the ischium, which changes everything with respect to the kind of seat they'd be most comfortable on. He suggests that a likely reason why only the Adamo seat seems to work for me is because the distance between my pelvic bones in the pubic region may be greater than it is for most people, which results in a better fit with the Adamo's wider two-pronged nose.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:01 AM   #29022
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Have a look at this diagram of the human pelvis.

Notice how the shape of the sit bones varies quite a bit along their outer edge. Lower handlebars tilt the pelvis forward, whereas higher handlebars roll the pelvis to the rear. If your handlebar height causes you to place more of your weight on the sharper curves of the ischium, you'll naturally experience greater discomfort than if you were to sit on the flatter portions.

One of the fitters at a local bike store tells me that some riders prefer putting most of their weight on the pubis rather than the ischium, which changes everything with respect to the kind of seat they'd be most comfortable on. He suggests that a likely reason why only the Adamo seat seems to work for me is because the distance between my pelvic bones in the pubic region may be greater than it is for most people, which results in a better fit with the Adamo's wider two-pronged nose.
I think your fitter dood is on the right track, but off some. Pressure on the taint can be the result of a long, low position on the bike. Seat scans from the major manufacturers show just what you're saying in that first bit: more upright = more pressure on the sit bones. Lower and longer = more pressure on your taint.

OR

Taint pressure is a sign of ' your seat's too high.' Pain and numbness are a classic sign that you need to lower your seat.

Putting pressure on the taint ain't good. Yeah, it happens, but its not the best bet for comfort, etc.

The lower you are, the more you're going to use the muscles in your butt to take up part of the load of pedaling. The more upright, the more you're going to use your thighs and the butt muscles stay quiet.

You need to find a happy medium.

M
Old 05-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #29023
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Bicycle sounds

video
Old 05-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #29024
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

5 ways friends make us stronger and better (for cyclists)

M
Old 05-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #29025
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
the distance between my pelvic bones in the pubic region may be greater than it is for most people, which results in a better fit with the Adamo's wider two-pronged nose.
Have you tried a womens saddle?
mud is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: