Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 158 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #29206
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
A: You're not helping your cause. Every time you defend what you've bought, you're adding fuel to the 'you're a Fred ' fire.
Maybe I didn't make myself clear. Affixing a label to someone else because they don't think like you do suggests that your emotional development stopped in grade school. Repeating the same behavior over and over only confirms that.

Quote:
Lay off the upgrades and try riding the bike for a while.
Tell you what, you post whatever you like as you always have. It may have no interest to me, but I've never suggested you do otherwise because of it. Perhaps you can do me the same courtesy.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #29207
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,459
Just tryin to help

In hindsight, a PM probably woulda been better. My apologies.

M
Old 06-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #29208
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Insults? You are posting on a forum correct? When you choose to post something there's a chance someone will not agree with you. I'm generally respectful with my replies, I don't see an insult woven within my last post.

Look man, I'm glad you embrace cycling. I think you have a bit of a myopic outlook, that's all. There is more to cycling than numbers.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #29209
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
Insults? You are posting on a forum correct? When you choose to post something there's a chance someone will not agree with you. I'm generally respectful with my replies, I don't see an insult woven within my last post.
I see. So labeling someone a 'Fred' is intended as a compliment, then?

Quote:
Look man, I'm glad you embrace cycling. I think you have a bit of a myopic outlook, that's all. There is more to cycling than numbers.
I completely agree. There's also more to cycling than racing. Myopia indeed.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #29210
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Life has conspired to keep me off the bike for the last nine days. For me, this is an intolerable situation. Since my hours have changed at work (start @ 0700 now rather than 0530), I've decided to get in some riding before heading into the office. Today was the trial run. I got up at my "old normal" 0400, kitted up, choked down a gel and managed to get in 17 mi. and change in about an hour. I'll play with the routes and my prep to get some more time/distance. This was done as kind of a lark, so I didn't have anything prepped or laid out and ended up rolling out around 0430. A little prior planning should get me another 20 min. in the saddle. This also gets me out of the heat of the day; it's supposed to be 112 here by Saturday.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #29211
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Life has conspired to keep me off the bike for the last nine days. For me, this is an intolerable situation. Since my hours have changed at work (start @ 0700 now rather than 0530), I've decided to get in some riding before heading into the office. Today was the trial run. I got up at my "old normal" 0400, kitted up, choked down a gel and managed to get in 17 mi. and change in about an hour. I'll play with the routes and my prep to get some more time/distance. This was done as kind of a lark, so I didn't have anything prepped or laid out and ended up rolling out around 0430. A little prior planning should get me another 20 min. in the saddle. This also gets me out of the heat of the day; it's supposed to be 112 here by Saturday.
Can you commute? Easy way to get mileage in without interrupting your day.

...and trainer rides... While they suck out loud, they're a way to stay on the bike and fit during times of darkness and/or limited visibility.

M
Old 06-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #29212
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
This has nothing to do with racing, and clearly you're racing in some virtural world. I'm done with this, you may have the last word.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #29213
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
This has nothing to do with racing, and clearly you're racing in some virtural world. I'm done with this, you may have the last word.
One thing I've noticed over the years is new cyclists (and triathletes) think they can buy their way out of a fitness deficit.

Don't work.

Time, miles, intervals, and more time are the only things that can get you out of a fitness deficit.

M
Old 06-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #29214
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Maybe I didn't make myself clear. Affixing a label to someone else because they don't think like you do suggests that your emotional development stopped in grade school. Repeating the same behavior over and over only confirms that.

Wait... Didn't you just label people who label people?

YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #29215
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,594
Quote:
Damn Ridge! You and K7 need to get together and compare notes. 207mi? NOT km?!

Strava lawsuit dismissed

M
I was wondering how that would turn out, but figured it would be dismissed. The plaintiffs' attorney's argument that Strava profits from KOMs primarily and from the social aspect secondarily, was pretty weak. That's like saying Facebook makes money from individual posts getting the most 'likes' rather than collecting data from the most users possible.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #29216
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,277
Quote:
Quote:

...and trainer rides... While they suck out loud, they're a way to stay on the bike and fit during times of darkness and/or limited visibility.

M
Nedster - I've been essentially doing the same. After my last event, I wasn't exactly thrilled with the results - the ride was harder than it should have been - so I had to make a decision: either Fred-up or start working a little harder.

Like you,the temps here are quickly climbing but man, the mornings are spectacular. It's light enough to ride at 0500 without lights but I still use front-and-rear LED simply for visibility to others. I can get in a good hour ride and leave enough time to grab a shower before leaving home for work.

Commuting, to Gummee's point, isn't a real good option since my wife and I carpool to downtown PHX together. Plus, there really isn't a good way to get downtown from where I live without having to ride through south Phoenix. Add the high afternoon temps and it makes complete sense to ride in the AM.

The only negative is that by 9 pm, I'm already sleepy but it's nice to fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow! So far, I'm really enjoying the workouts and with my Saturday rides, this will put me at about 100 miles a week. That's plenty to support my goals and perform at a level that satisfies them.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #29217
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Quote:

M
I do commute, but it's a short one; only 5.6 mi. RT. I tend to slack off a bit on this in the summer, the ride home wearing a cotton polo and slacks when it's 100+ out sucks and I just can't justify changing in/out of a kit for a 15 min. ride. (Excuses, I have a few. )

Good point on the trainer. I'll have to ask around and see if anyone has a fluid trainer or some rollers gathering dust someplace.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #29218
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
I do commute, but it's a short one; only 5.6 mi. RT. I tend to slack off a bit on this in the summer, the ride home wearing a cotton polo and slacks when it's 100+ out sucks and I just can't justify changing in/out of a kit for a 15 min. ride. (Excuses, I have a few. )

Good point on the trainer. I'll have to ask around and see if anyone has a fluid trainer or some rollers gathering dust someplace.
I've found that about an hour of commuting is perfect. Any more and you get very tired. Less and it isn't worth getting kitted up for. So... how bout getting kitted up and going for a ride on the way to work? IOW add a loop to the commute. BTDT

Blog post that's relevant to the previous discussion

@K7: how bout you ride in in the AM and she brings you back?

M
Old 06-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #29219
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Uno mas: Lift

M
Old 06-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #29220
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
I was wondering how that would turn out, but figured it would be dismissed. The plaintiffs' attorney's argument that Strava profits from KOMs primarily and from the social aspect secondarily, was pretty weak. That's like saying Facebook makes money from individual posts getting the most 'likes' rather than collecting data from the most users possible.
The real danger of chasing KOM's on Strava is that in many cases, the people who create these segments pay no attention to the potential danger they involve. For instance, there's a 2 mile sprint in my area that starts at the top of an overpass and goes right across busy driveways in a commercial zone. How many people have been t-boned at 30mph crossing those driveways? How many people have crashed while racing down the winding ramp at the bottom of the overpass? I recently asked a Cat 3 Crit racer who holds most of the KOM's on a nearby trail why his name is noticeably absent from one of the most popular segments. "It's just too dangerous," he said.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: