Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 274 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #29551
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
They are both wearing yoga pants. As I prepare to pass the sun hits girl in the backs rearend and she has the see through pants with a black t-back on underneath.. Didn't check if front girl was see through or not, didn't want to be Aqualung.

I know the plumbing is different but that couldn't be comfortable, nice to look at butt
Nice!
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:12 AM   #29552
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
There's always someone faster...

So, after being in relatively good shape early in the year, May went into the toilet with bad weather, work, and some kind of upper respiratory/sinus ailment. I was able to do a few spinning classes to keep my leg strength up, but my endurance went out the window. I only managed one real ride the whole month.

The last few weeks the weather's improved and I'm feeling better, but I still have only managed to go out and pull the boy around for a few miles here and there.

I'm on vacation this week and next, and Tuesday I hooked up with my riding buddy and got out for a fairly decent ride. Incidentally, he just got turned on to Strava and is into the competitive aspect of it, and he kept babbling about segments and times...

At one point, we were cruising along on a parkway with a (crowded) paved path alongside of it. We gradually caught and passed a group of speed skating roller bladers who were running a pace line on the path. I sped up to about 20mph to put a gap on them, incase they felt uppity, and didn't think anymore about them, until a couple miles later two of them caught us and drifted ahead. Then I had to chase them down, and I passed them again, but I got caught behind a car waiting at a crosswalk and they passed me again. Having to accelerate and catch them again pretty much wiped me out, and even though I passed the leader going up a hill, I couldn't keep the pace and he went by again...oh, the shame

To make it up a bit, we chased down some hipsters who passed us on the Greenway, through Minneapolis, where there is no shortage of hipsters.

On the final three mile stretch, after we turned onto my buddies street, I was pretty much cashed out. As a final indignation, I was cruising around 16-17mph, and got dropped by a chick with panniers on her bike

It felt pretty good to get out again, altogether, but losing so much fitness at this point in the year is really irritating

Here's the ride:

2whl-hoop screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 06:20 AM
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #29553
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,650
mmm, think i am being bit of a numpty here I think

I have a Garmin 500, had it a while, I usually just run that device on my bars.
I have an extra sensor that I ran for a short while on my other bike, on the forks. I only ran it a few times.

Now I am putting it on my main bike and not getting a speed reading when in the shed.

I think its actually a cadence sensor but confused by what the Garmin website says, Garmin call it a Speed/Cadence bike sensor.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/prod1266.html

When I down load my Garmin data file, it doesnt say anything about Cadence and my screen isn't configured for cadence.

About to do that now and see what it shows in the morning.

can anyone tell me if its a speed OR a cadence sensor

thanks, appreciate

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:28 AM   #29554
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,578
The Garmin GSC-10 is a combination speed/cadence sensor. In order to pick up cadence, you will need to attach a magnet to your left crank arm and align it so that it matches the indented line on the non-battery side of the sensor. When you press and hold the button on the sensor, it will start transmitting to nearby devices making it visible for a short time period. (like pairing a bluetooth device to your phone). It blinks red at first, then will flash green every time one of the magnets passes by its pickup sensors.
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #29555
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
mmm, think i am being bit of a numpty here I think

I have a Garmin 500, had it a while, I usually just run that device on my bars.
I have an extra sensor that I ran for a short while on my other bike, on the forks. I only ran it a few times.

Now I am putting it on my main bike and not getting a speed reading when in the shed.

I think its actually a cadence sensor but confused by what the Garmin website says, Garmin call it a Speed/Cadence bike sensor.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/prod1266.html

When I down load my Garmin data file, it doesnt say anything about Cadence and my screen isn't configured for cadence.

About to do that now and see what it shows in the morning.

can anyone tell me if its a speed OR a cadence sensor

thanks, appreciate

Hay Ewe
The cadence sensor should obtain data from a magnet attached to your crank arm. If it's not reading your cadence, then either your bike profile isn't configured correctly, or the magnet on the crank arm isn't positioned correctly. The speed sensor is reading data from a magnet attached to one of the spokes, which is not the same as the magnet on your crank arm.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #29556
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
The Garmin GSC-10 is a combination speed/cadence sensor. In order to pick up cadence, you will need to attach a magnet to your left crank arm and align it so that it matches the indented line on the non-battery side of the sensor. When you press and hold the button on the sensor, it will start transmitting to nearby devices making it visible for a short time period. (like pairing a bluetooth device to your phone). It blinks red at first, then will flash green every time one of the magnets passes by its pickup sensors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
The cadence sensor should obtain data from a magnet attached to your crank arm. If it's not reading your cadence, then either your bike profile isn't configured correctly, or the magnet on the crank arm isn't positioned correctly. The speed sensor is reading data from a magnet attached to one of the spokes, which is not the same as the magnet on your crank arm.

These,
but also on the device itself hold the menu button until the menu appears,
then select settings,
then bike settings,
then select the bike that you are using,
then ANT+Spd/Cad.
Select yes for sensors present, and if the device is on your bike and still not picking up the sensor, then select search. Make sure that your either pedaling or spinning the wheel so a magnet is going by the pickup when you search, though.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #29557
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by surly357 View Post
No need for the goofy shadow units. You can still get a 'normal' Deore m591 9s rear derailleur as well as the LX t661. They call the LX a 'touring/trekking' derailleur now (?).

They will work just fine with your STI levers.

Fwiw for others with 10s STI road shifters, you can use any cheap/expensive (you pick) 8/9s mountain derailleur with those.

The 10s shimano mountain components do indeed have a different ratio for cable pull.
Thanks for the info! I guess I could also go with a new 105 or Ultegra long cage rear derailleur as well. As I tend to do with projects such as this, I'm probably starting to overthink it.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #29558
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Thanks for the info! I guess I could also go with a new 105 or Ultegra long cage rear derailleur as well. As I tend to do with projects such as this, I'm probably starting to overthink it.

the long cage road ders will have a bit less capacity than a mtb unit.

popping on a deore will allow just about any gearing experiment you can dream up for a modest cost. ;-)
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #29559
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Got in another 25 miles last night. Broke into a sweat just putting my shoes on ugh. About 3/4s into my ride I see a couple carrots up ahead. Looks like maybe a guy with his woman in his slipstream. They are cruising along a a good clip and I'm barely reeling them in. As I get closer I see it is two females front girl on hybrid back girl on drop bar road bike. They are both wearing yoga pants. As I prepare to pass the sun hits girl in the backs rearend and she has the see through pants with a black t-back on underneath.. Didn't check if front girl was see through or not, didn't want to be Aqualung.

I know the plumbing is different but that couldn't be comfortable, nice to look at butt
Pics or it didnt happen....
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #29560
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
Pics or it didnt happen....
well I would've had to have stopped , take my iphone out of my handlebar bag, catch back up then snap picture. That would've been way to creepy even for me. I felt bad enough oggling t-back as I went by. There is a thread in jomamma with plenty of pics.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #29561
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,917
I've decided this week is for resting my back. Last night I got home early prep'd waterbottles got the tires pumped up, helmet. gloves and sweatband, (I really need to get a new helmet, I've killed the liners in both my old helmets and no replacements are made anymore), Headed up stairs to suit up, and pulled my back bending over to pick up my shoes in the closet.

Just a small twinge that as I sat there got slightly worse.

Back down to the freezer and an ice pack. Floor, towel, lay down.

Put the bike back and gave in to the rest day.

Then this morning in the wee hours I go to turn off the alarm across the room, (re-arrangement of the bedroom a work in progress), I trip over a piano stool I forgot was there, nice judo flip, (probably a ninja), with my left hip, shoulder, wrist taking the blow. The hip strike was on a nearby table I'd been using.
I laid there for a second trying to figure who/what had just attacked me and how I was going to defend myself, laying there on my bad side, unable to move.
Nice little wake up call.
Bruised hip/back shoulder and sore wrist.
I guess walking around in the dark is operating heavy equipment.

I'm blaming the muscle relaxers.

My wife was downstairs and didn't hear a thing. Looked at my like I was an idiot when I mentioned it to her. OK, I'm an idiot. I'll finish re-arranging the room tonight and maybe I can relocate that damned alarm.
Or just take to sleeping in full road race leathers, and helmet. ATGATT!
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:40 AM   #29562
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Ultra-long distance riders are a little IMO. They're also more than a little tough.

For the mechanics on the panel: I want to make my commuter rig more gravel/forest service/fire road friendly. To this end, I'd like to run an 11-32 cassette. Will my Shimano 9-speed road shifters work with a Shimano 9-speed Shadow MTB rear der? I know the old direct mount derailleurs will work, but the only ones available now are Alivio, Acera, etc. I've got Tiagra on there now and don't want to go sideways or backwards quality-wise. Cost is another motivation, going 10-speed or switching to SRAM isn't in the budget.
I'm almost certain they won't. I'm also sure that there's charts somewhere on the innerwebs. IIRC they changed the pull ratios when they went to the shadow series.

You can go up to a 12-30 with a short-cage rear derailleur and a double up front. That help?

Another option is to find some older XT/XTR stuff like my M95X series stuff. You can find that on ebay for 'not as much as they used to cost.' Get stuff that looks like it came off a garage queen.

I don't remember if I have anything in my bin o' parts. If ya want, I can look. I *used* to have an XT rear, but may have sold it.

M
Old 06-21-2013, 03:52 AM   #29563
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,886
So I got the green light to 'take a break' and hit the Thurs Herndon ride. Met up with the group and noticed a few guys I knew.

They proceeded to talk me into riding the 1 ride (aka fast guys) instead of the 3 ride.

No. I'm not real bright.

So we're headed off into the wilds of Herdon, VA and I'm towards the rear of the pack. I'm sucking wheels and having a grand time.

Then we turn right and go up this little rise where the front guys attack.

I can see the pack splintering under the pressure and I tried to close the gap.

Got 3/4 of the way and my legs gave up.

All I gotta say is 'thank doG for traffic lights.' The remainder of the pack (appx a dozen people at this point) got stopped at a light and I got hooked back up. :whew!

Proceeded to surf the pack towards the back as much as possible to avoid getting sucked to the front and having to rotate thru. Weeeeelll that worked for the most part, but I still managed to find myself on the front for a bit. Luckily for me it was slightly downhill at that point! I'm good at downhills. Not so much with the uphills.

I wasn't *quite* as lost as I was last week, but this week, the pack took a left after Rt 7 and wandered thru a neighborhood. Yup. Completely butt-ass lost yet again! Another 'you'd damn well not get dropped 'cause you haven't a clue where you are!' moment.

After Wed's hammerfest out west in Haymarket, I had very tired legs and it showed. I gotta wonder what it would be like if I hadn't ridden my ass off the day before?! I'm not willing to give up the Haymarket ride to see, but if it rains one Wed, I'll be sure to tell y'all about the Thurs ride the day after!

M
Old 06-21-2013, 05:21 AM   #29564
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by surly357 View Post
the long cage road ders will have a bit less capacity than a mtb unit.

popping on a deore will allow just about any gearing experiment you can dream up for a modest cost. ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I'm almost certain they won't. I'm also sure that there's charts somewhere on the innerwebs. IIRC they changed the pull ratios when they went to the shadow series.

You can go up to a 12-30 with a short-cage rear derailleur and a double up front. That help?

Another option is to find some older XT/XTR stuff like my M95X series stuff. You can find that on ebay for 'not as much as they used to cost.' Get stuff that looks like it came off a garage queen.

I don't remember if I have anything in my bin o' parts. If ya want, I can look. I *used* to have an XT rear, but may have sold it.

M
Thanks, guys. I was able to find an XT M771 rear der...had to go all the way to the UK, but shipping was only $10 to get it here.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:31 AM   #29565
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,208

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/28/sp...nned.html?_r=0

Quote:
ANNAPOLIS, Md. After cycling 3,000 miles through 12 states on just seven and a half hours of sleep spread out across eight days, with nary a shower, solid food or a real bed in between, Christoph Strasser glided past the Race Across America finish line here and was asked how he felt.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: