Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 295 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 05:36 AM   #29911
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Exactly. I drop down to thighs parallel to the floor with weight back on my heels. Feet should be apart shoulder width apart. When you come back up, clench your glutes and drive straight up.
How many reps/sets do you do?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:50 AM   #29912
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1andonlyzippo View Post
Definitely yes on the trail bike. Wish I still had my old Intense Tracer for him to ride. I've been looking at the Trek Fuel and Specialized Epic... even halfway batting around the idea of a 29er for him. He's He's 220 right now, but is about 50 pounds overweight after nearly a year of not being permitted to do any physical activity at all due to injury. He's not planning on staying at 220... should be back down to around 175 now that he's cleared to do cardio again.

Have been searching MTBR a bit, but wanted to hear some personal reviews and suggestions, too.

Thanks!
Zippo ill add I'm 275 and have my fox suspension set up perfectly for my weight on my giant reign. Fox supplies shims your lbs can install in the rear shock to allow it to handle higher pressures for weight. I don't think your boyfriends weight will hurt him, so long as he's somewhat smooth.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #29913
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I used to do three sets of 12, with 60 to 90 seconds between.

Took the younger boy out for a ride yesterday in our fabulous city forest. A wee spot of vid (click on it for action):

Later on, we had a "learning curve" moment:

Thankfully we were far enough away from home that he got over the worst of the emotional trauma ("I'm never doing that again!") and came to accept it as a learning experience before we got home to Muriel (Ma). Now he's asking if he'll have a bitchin' scar when it heals.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #29914
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,260
Just won this TT helmet on e-bay for $147. I'll be wearing it to my next racing class. I'm hoping it will make me at least 2 mph faster on the trainer.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #29915
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,936
Quote:
Just won this TT helmet on e-bay for $147. I'll be wearing it to my next racing class. I'm hoping it will make me at least 2 mph faster on the trainer.

No beard cover ? tut tut...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #29916
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
today's preferred ride...

If I had to keep only one bike the Vaya would be it. It's easily the most versatile bike I've owned. Plus it's comfortable, especially with the Brooks B17. I just mounted some Schwalbe Marathon Supremes and I can't believe how much better/faster the bike rolls. An expensive tire, but worth it if they last, and seeing as they're marketed as a touring tire, they should.

Today's ride with the boy:
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #29917
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 66,969
Quote:
I usually work in supersets of three movements, doing 3 sets of each.

It might be something like:

Goblet squats 3x10
Farmer carry 3x10
Hex bar squats 3x10

Another good superset:

Bulgarian split squats 3x10
Romanian Dead lifts 3x10
Seated wide rows (on a machine) 3x10

I'll rotate among the three movements, doing each set 3 times.

If I can get 3 sets of supersets (total of 9 movements) in, that works well for me. I try not to do the same supersets two times in a week. For example, I may focus on leg strength one night, then core based work two days later.

I usually start by using a foam roller on my legs and back, work out, then roll out and do hip flexor stretches again when I'm done.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #29918
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,023
Got out for a short terrible ride yesterday. I'd started off into the hot wind hoping riding would improve my foul mood.

It did but only slightly.

I took a shortened ride so I'd have time to mess with some home projects, and did actually advance the one in a good way.

I'd pushed as hard as I could manage during almost all of the ride, but did stay just short of painful. I arrived home tired and soaked in sweat. No cramping. I'd hydrated well enough I guess. I did not stop for water at the park it was that short a ride.

One thing I took from this ride was that I am fine with my progress so far. I am looking forward to the weekend and longer rides. I may slow myself down a bit in order to ride farther and longer. And begin sandwiching hill training during the late afternoon rides during the week. Maybe even get back to taking pictures again.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #29919
kbasa
Colnago!

Here we go. 7.5 months of training comes down to one day, this coming Saturday. Friday early, we pack up our stuff and head up to Minden, NV to get ready to roll at 5am on Saturday for Death Ride.

Here's the elevation profile, which is basically 4 Cat2 climbs and one Cat3 climb:

The course is through some amazing scenery. When we were training up on Ebbets, I had a waterfall across a valley to watch for a while, an alpine lake and some spectacular forests. On Carson, I rode right past Hope Valley and on up to the summit. I hear the sunrise on the east side of Monitor is spectacular. I'm really looking forward to completing this ride, but equally excited about getting a good, close look at a good chunk of the Sierras.

Here's the course. Tina's going to meet me at the top of Carson at about 4 or 5; I'm figuring 12 hours of ride time. Interestingly, my trainer is going to be in Tahoe for Tough Mudder and she's been talking to Tina about joining her at the finish. I can't thank both of them enough. Tina's been amazing for this. She's supported me wholeheartedly, has been really good about making sure the house is well stocked with food, I get my training in and I'm doing the things I need to do to prepare.

My trainer has been equally helpful. Usually, she gets out of shape guys that want to lose the 100 pounds they've put on, so she was pretty stoked to work with someone pursuing an athletic goal. I know she talked about me at the gym because I'd be pedaling or something and one of the trainers would walk over and start talking to me about DR. Pretty funny.

Even though this has been a somewhat selfish goal, underlying the entire thing has been my efforts to raise money for blood cancer research. I've ridden centuries and, for the last couple months, have been riding one every Saturday, but this training has really helped me understand what chemo must be like. There have been times, when I've been on ridiculously long and steep climbs (Sierra Road, Fort Ross Road, Rancheria, El Toyonal) that I can't focus on anything but getting to the top. My vision is a tunnel, focused on my heart rate count on the GPS, 5 feet in front of me and an occasional glance up the hill. When I'm down there, feeling sorry for myself and wishin it would just stop, I'd pull out a mental picture of Tina in chemo and if I didn't break out in tears on the spot, it'd harden my resolve and get me up and over.

It's not often we have those opportunities anymore; those moments when we look deep inside ourselves and see what we're made of and really press ourselves to see what we can accomplish. This entire year has presented me with those opportunities over and over again and while it's been hard, I'm immensely grateful to have had that experience.

Here we go. Screw Cancer. Ride Bikes. Tina's still here and so am I. I will conquer Death Ride just like she conquered Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

kbasa screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 04:44 PM
Old 07-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #29920
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,802
Quote:
Here we go. 7.5 months of training comes down to one day, this coming Saturday. Friday early, we pack up our stuff and head up to Minden, NV to get ready to roll at 5am on Saturday for Death Ride.

Here we go. Screw Cancer. Ride Bikes. Tina's still here and so am I. I will conquer Death Ride just like she conquered Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

You got this.

YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #29921
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,623
Quote:

This sums it up perfectly. You've trained for it, you're ready for it... now go crush it and have fun!
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #29922
kbasa
Colnago!

So. On. It.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #29923
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,479
Give it hell, and kick some butt kbasa!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #29924
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,936
Quote:
So. On. It.
Good luck old bean
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote