Old 07-11-2013, 04:49 AM   #29928
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz6kd7 View Post
Ok give up the secret stuff you use or your favorite
EPO

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:06 AM   #29929
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,455
Arrogant Bastard IPA
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:08 AM   #29930
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Arrogant Bastard IPA
Kids stuff... Bell's two-hearted ale FTW!
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:29 AM   #29931
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:31 AM   #29932
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
This.

And chicken wings. Can't pass by a good wing joint.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #29933
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
This.

And chicken wings. Can't pass by a good wing joint.
That stuff will kill you.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #29934
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,865
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Arrogant Bastard IPA
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #29935
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
That stuff will kill you.

Got to die of something.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #29936
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Go Get 'em!
That is an amazing ride. Beat it like a rented mule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Here we go. 7.5 months of training comes down to one day, this coming Saturday.
Here we go. Screw Cancer. Ride Bikes. Tina's still here and so am I. I will conquer Death Ride just like she conquered Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma.
Facebook
Smugmug
Old 07-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #29937
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Got to die of something.
+1 and might as well enjoy it while you can...
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #29938
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

When I left work last night a small storm cell was moving in off the ocean. As I swung my leg over the big Adventure the sprinkles had begun to fall.

"Oh no not the Sprinkles"!

Not enough of them to land on my face shield, so not that wet.

Yet.

Traffic was a mess, I was leaving late again. I was splitting from just past Imperial, (LBS) to the next exit.
Up the hill and home to find my wife home with the old cat. The cat had an issue the night before and had spent the day with the doc under going tests. She is old, deaf and blind. Now she has high blood pressure.
Maybe sleeping 23 hours a day can be stressful. You know worrying about where the sunny spot will move and if you can get there before the other cats. Rough life.
Her issue the night before was not good, which meant the house was pushed up into piles so the carpet cleaners could make it nice again.
We get test results today. We know that there will come a point where we have to make the hard decision. She has been around for about 20 years and a good cat. She used to watch basketball with me, but only when MJ was in the game. When he sat, she got up and left.
Da Bulls!
She also used to eat chips and salsa with me. And not get sick. Now she eats uber expensive cat food, mostly tuna, and licks fresh cooked egg yolk and melted rocky road ice cream. And don't try and give here any of that low calorie crap. She paws the rug trying to cover that stuff up.

Anyway freshly cleaned carpets means they are still drying, meaning I can't begin the work I was planning, or just sit on my ass on the couch and watch the recorded TDF.

On the bright side, I can ride longer.

Gear up and I'm out the door and gone.

That storm cell from the beach? Yeah, it had followed me home. Now, I had a good sized wind. Stiff enough to blow me down the hill at 50 mph!
I headed east past all the barely rolling cars who jumped off the freeway trying to get back on to also head east. The cause of the mess I was to see was about a mile east. All I saw was a truck and car and one CHP. I was easily making better time than these folks.
I normally spin semi-lightly with the wind at my back out to the stop sign then see how my legs feel on the short little jump up to the parking area, and then recover from that on the descent to the trailer park entrance, and try to spin, crunch my way up to the Jack in the Box Stop sign, actually one turn prior to that for my usual turn around.
By that time I'm good and warmed up for the long ride into the wind back west.

Last night as I got just to the eastern end of Featherly Park a fit looking woman came by at a pretty good clip. I'd been only spinning about 16 mph so put a little more into it once she was about a hundred yards ahead. I caught up just about the time we got to the slight rise past the construction. She was slowing but not enough I could just zip by.
About this time a guy came by, and headed up the road very quick.
As we got to the construction site I stood on my pedals to make the last short climb past the eastern ramp and dropped the woman. After I topped the rise I was shifting up and up and off in the distance maybe a quarter mile was the fast guy who came by. I put my head down and spun the gears up to as much as I could handle at that point just to see if I could catch.
That dog chasing the car thing I guess.
I caught him just after the end of the trail at bottom of the stop sign to parking area hill. We both attacked the hill. I stood on the pedals and drove hard. and beat him up that rise, then decided to keep it turning over past the parking and down the hill to the last climb to that JitB stop sign climb. He re-passed me on that since I had not recovered on the descent. But, he turned off to the building parking lot there and I spun around and headed back west, into a big wind.
At one point I recall seeing 12 mph on the computer and needing to shift down a gear.
I got to spinning pretty good in spite of the wind. the climb back up to the construction was not as bad as I would have thought. All that harder effort than usual had warmed me up very well.

The fast guy re-passed me about a mile west of the bridge, I was trudging along at about 16 mph and he goes by like I'm painted on the fence. But, I notice after the trail straightens out, he is just hanging out up there about 300 yards or so. I'm back up to spinning at 17-ish so I decided to see if I can move up a bit.
I caught him at the coffee shop and passed him going up the next short climb. Held a good gear off the top then down the hill to the river and rolling past the park he caught up. We talked a bit both commenting how much fun it is to ride like that with others. he kicked it up a gear and left, I was comfortable at 17 to 18 and he was doing closer to 20.
The blustery conditions kept trail traffic down, maybe. It sis smell and look a little like rain. I hate riding motorcycles in the pouring rain, but don't mind walking running or riding a bicycle in it. Though warm rain. Cold bone numbing wet weather just makes for good fires in the hearth and a cup of cocoa.
This was better once I got over to the curves and out of that wind. I had decided I'd make my turn at 6:15 which would give me plenty of day light to climb back up the hill in. At about 6:30 the wind nearly died, then shifted and became swirling along the whole ride home. About a mile east of my turning around the woman I'd passed back at the beginning of my ride came by headed west. I guess she had ridden farther east.
I'd get to going then get a gust off my right front or right rear. But, held some good pace in places and climbed back up to the road from the river in pretty good fashion. Not my best, but it didn't hurt and I could recover a bit quicker.
The "On The Move" exercise thing here at work ends the third of August so I may delay lots of hill training until I'm past that. Though Saturday I'm toying with a longer ride. We'll see how I feel and what the weather is like by then.

Strava:

I figure when I begin to get more 20 mph sections strung together it's time I go ride streets and leave the path to others. I make sure to slow down and move way over around groups. Last night I stopped for the ducks, who were sitting in my path so me stopped allowed the oncoming cyclist to pass with plenty of room from the ducks. Then I could use the far side to also keep clear of them. I'll have to grab a picture of them some time, they are quite unique to me and colorful. They waddle around like an old married couple never very far from each others side.
When I climbed the last climb last night my legs felt fine. Like I could go climb some more.
So I didn't. I went home and cleaned up. Did some laundry and we had dinner in the backyard, Chinese take out, then a beer after the sun set. We just sat around and talked too late into the evening. I'd planned on getting to bed early, but it was closing on 11 when I rolled into bed.

It sure is good sleeping after a light rain.
Facebook
Smugmug
Old 07-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #29939
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
EPO

I've herd thats very popular!
Who carries it??
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #29940
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I plan on trying 'em all!!!!!!

Can't get it in CT!

Three Philosophers FTW!!!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: