User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 4.40 average. Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #30031
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 63,400
That's awesome. He's a lot faster than I am.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:31 AM   #30032
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 12,465
He was so fast I had to pause some of it to read the captions.

Nice video.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #30033
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,251
Fast old guy ride

I finally got out for the Tuesday night ride. Between work. and the crap weather, I haven't made too many of them. For a bunch of old guy's, this group is pretty fast.

rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #30034
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,155
Got out for the first ride in a week yesterday AM!

1:23 of easy 'cause this cold's still lingering.

I'm probably dropping back to the B ride tonite at Haymarket. I don't have the oomph to keep up with the fast folks right this second

M
Old 07-17-2013, 05:02 AM   #30035
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
I finally got out for the Tuesday night ride. Between work. and the crap weather, I haven't made too many of them. For a bunch of old guy's, this group is pretty fast.

Bunch of old guys would smoke my ass
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #30036
Ridge
power 2 the pedal

Oddometer: 1,080
N.C. State Criterium Championships

Last Friday was our state criterium championships. Being that the heat index is somewhere currently between OMG and WTF, the races were to be held at night. The original course was to be downtown Lexington with pubs and spectators to cheer us on. At the last minute, the organizer had to pull the plug on the city since our benevolent state DOT decided to resurface the downtown streets a couple of weeks before the race. Of course this left gravel, tar and rough surfaces everywhere, so a new venue was located.

The old Dell manufacturing facility (I say old, but it's only been there for about 5 years...) has been purchased by Herbalife and they graciously offered to let the parking lot be used for the races! Normally, I'm not a fan of parking lot racing, bu this is a BIG parking lot. Just to give you an idea, you can see a pre-ride video of the course here.

After seeing the video and watching the race before my category, I knew this was going to be a fast, zone 5 race of attrition. Wind them up and watch them go folks.

Our race was to start at 8:30pm under the lights. The front straight is slightly downhill and long. We were usually hitting 30+ every lap through there. Ending the straight was a left sweeper up a short grade into a sharper left to the upper level. A fast, hard right around some safety bollards put the pack on the back straight by the loading docks and set everyone up for the last turn. This was a doozy... had I been wearing knee pucks, I truly believe I had enough lean angle to touch a knee. We were hitting that curve at some intense speed every lap!

As the race progressed, I sat about 1/3 of the way back and watched who pulled, who tried to break and getting a general idea of how the pack was reacting to the course. I usually excel at multi-turn crits from my motorcycling experience between track days and a brief stint in WERA, so I patiently waited for the lull...

The peloton heaved and subsided lap after lap. I found that I could go to the outside of the last turn and gain 4-5 positions just by cornering smoothly off the brakes. Most guys were packing themselves into the apex and feathering the brakes while I could hear a couple of pedal strikes as they attempted making speed in the turn. The real trick was transitioning from outside to inside as you exited the turn onto the straight. As the racers exited, they would use the momentum to carry them to the right side of the course and leave an open gap on the left. A few inspired guys would attempt an attack here, but we're carrying so much speed that absolutely nothing could stay away. The pack would bunch up again as we entered the sweeper and I found the best line was from the inside apex to the outside of the pack to set up for the sharper left and throwing it into the hard right. After about 30 minutes of the 50 minute race, I saw the opportunity.

The pack would really bunch up after cresting the hill into the sharp left. They would slow even further into the hard right and sprint out of the turn to make up speed on the back straight. I waited until the next lap and moved into attack position about fifth wheel from the front. As we reached the peak of the hill, I clicked down and stood on the pedals. Leaning with every confidence I could muster in my tires, I pedaled through the left, then right turns and onto the back straight. As I set up for the sharp rounder to transition to the front straight, I glanced back to see if my bold plan had worked and it had! The pack was just entering the back straight from the hard right and I had put about 200 yards on them with my move. My only problem was that I went solo and had zero help to stay away from a seething monster of angry pedals and gear clicks... I put my head down and buried my legs enough to stay away from the pack for a full lap. I redlined the entire time and could hear them steadily gaining ground on me. I had inflicted a solid blow to the pack and made them work their collective asses off to catch me but had no help to stay away. Had a few others made the move to bridge, I believe we could have held off the pack and made a winning break but not this time.

I settled back in the pack to recover for what seemed an inevitable field sprint at the finish. Noone else attempted a break as the course was just sooo fast and the pack would have none of it after my shenanigans. The officials rung the bell for the final lap and the pace picked up another few notches. Position is everything in that last lap and I was in a bad one. Having just recovered from my solo run, I made my way up as far as I could but just out of reach from the front guys pulling. The final turn sweeping hard left, pedals scraping and brakes burning just sealed it that I was going to have to dig deep for this one. Exiting the turn put us about 200 meters from the finish line and I was scrambling for position. I stood on the pedals again and pulled past a few guys to the line but not enough for a top ten. I finished 13th this time but still proud of my efforts and strategy. What amazed me most was our average speed of 27mph for a 50 minute crit. This was by far the fastest race I've done to date.

Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:13 AM   #30037
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,155
@Ridge: Awesome that you gave it a go. Bummer you didn't have help.

...but I don't think that was a good course for a break. The pack could see anyone out front the whole time. You being a carrot dangling in front of em woulda made em chase you down regardless.

Coupla corners around a downtown circuit? Different story. Out of sight, out of mind.

M
Old 07-17-2013, 06:14 AM   #30038
kannonbal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
RATPOD 2013 report

No wicked headwinds like last year, thank God.

The wife and I made a concerted effort to finish as early as we could in an effort to miss the afternoon weather, which is notorious for going sideway around 2 every day.

128.8 miles, time in saddle: 6:56, average speed 18.2.

Really pleased with our performance, other than the bonk I got at the start of the last climb. The temps were in the low 90's and I just did not take enough calories in. Bonk hit out of nowhere; stopped and pounded two gels and a couple of peanut butter ritz and was back to normal in minutes. Blood sugar sure is important, haha.

Never really thought about it before, but when you are towards the front in the more difficult rides, you are surrounded by a much better rider, which means faster, safer, and more consistent echelons! We regularly got into groups going 22-24mph for long stretches, which was especially nice for the last 16 miles of dead flat, dead straight run into town.

And, in true Ratpod style, about an hour after we finished (maybe top 50 out of 650, and my lovely probably in the top 5 women, not that we were trying too hard), an absolutely brutal thunderstorm rolled through. Torrential rain, 30 mph winds, and hail. Some seriously beat down riders continued to roll in for another ~3 hours after we got to the finish.

And it is awesome to be in an echelon, 90 miles in, and watch my wife hammer out 21 mph for 10 minutes at a time with a long string of guys strung out behind her. Classic quote of hers: "I felt like ass until mile 80 and I felt like I finally warmed up at mile 95." Haha. Plenty of guys came up after and complimented her on her strength and how she was hurting them on the run into town. Not a soul thanked me for my 23 mph pulls, the bastards...

130 miles is still a long freeking way, though. I get bored and am definitely over it by 110...Not sore or uncomfortable, just ready to do something other than sitting on my bike.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #30039
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,881
Fun riding with the fast guys, huh?
How do you like the 550?
Once I get some more real road miles under my belt I figure I can ride with the shops early morning rides some weekends.
Last night I got caught by three young, semi-fast guys, and sat it for a bit until the masher at the front slowed down to slower than I wanted to go. I went to the front since the other two guys seemed to be just hanging out and wound it back up to where I had been when they caught me.
Dropped them.
So into the wind I figured I'd see what I had, and wound it to 20 mph and hung there until I got to the construction.Long light let me recover quite well. When they caught me out in the wind again, I spun up to the back, and just sat.
That's what those young guys are for. Motors to tow us old fat guys around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post

Old 07-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #30040
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,881
+1 on that.
In my past I spent a lot of time in front of Cat 1/2 fields in Crits to know what works, (official on a motorcycle, nobody can catch me!).

When you can get off the front with a couple of buddies, particularly from another team, and you get to hide behind buildings or terrain. Poof!
You are going and forgotten.
If they see you the pack sees red and bears down.
That speed for that long is great.
I once had cuts on my knee from the guy's pedals on my inside. I went past him pedaling. He had his outside pedal up!

Rode a crit in the Coors parking lot at the brewery with the Killian's team way back in the day. That was fun. It was a fun invitational thing and I rode for some exec who didn't show. Most of the rest of the riders were all touring types that didn't go around corners fast. The Killian's team and I had a lot of fun playing. There were some great crashes too. Two guys went into the home turn's VIP tables and chairs when they grabbed brakes late. The racers were all rolling. I was pedaling having watched Hinault and company do the same in Vail, I knew how this was done, and had practiced.
(Track pedals helped, back in the days of toe straps).

I always hated crits though. Give me a big circuit or road race or hill climb and I'm happy.
Those always seemed like less work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

...but I don't think that was a good course for a break. The pack could see anyone out front the whole time. You being a carrot dangling in front of em woulda made em chase you down regardless.

Coupla corners around a downtown circuit? Different story. Out of sight, out of mind.

M
Old 07-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #30041
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
What amazed me most was our average speed of 27mph for a 50 minute crit. This was by far the fastest race I've done to date.
I averaged 27 mph for 1 hour yesterday, but it was on an indoor trainer.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #30042
Ridge
power 2 the pedal

Oddometer: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
+1 on that.
In my past I spent a lot of time in front of Cat 1/2 fields in Crits to know what works, (official on a motorcycle, nobody can catch me!).

When you can get off the front with a couple of buddies, particularly from another team, and you get to hide behind buildings or terrain. Poof!
You are going and forgotten.
If they see you the pack sees red and bears down.
That speed for that long is great.
I once had cuts on my knee from the guy's pedals on my inside. I went past him pedaling. He had his outside pedal up!

Rode a crit in the Coors parking lot at the brewery with the Killian's team way back in the day. That was fun. It was a fun invitational thing and I rode for some exec who didn't show. Most of the rest of the riders were all touring types that didn't go around corners fast. The Killian's team and I had a lot of fun playing. There were some great crashes too. Two guys went into the home turn's VIP tables and chairs when they grabbed brakes late. The racers were all rolling. I was pedaling having watched Hinault and company do the same in Vail, I knew how this was done, and had practiced.
(Track pedals helped, back in the days of toe straps).

I always hated crits though. Give me a big circuit or road race or hill climb and I'm happy.
Those always seemed like less work.
I knew it was a bold move when I decided to make it, but I hoped in the back of my head that a few others would make the move with me. I had seen it work in the races leading up to ours and figured it was worth a shot. If I could have snapped that rubber band just far enough out where they gave up the chase... all would have been golden. Never know until you try though right?
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #30043
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Yesterday was the 2nd session of my eight week racing class. I noticed that two people had already dropped out. One of them was the woman who had nearly vomited several times during our first session.

A new guy showed up to replace the rider who rode next to me last week. He looked like someone's Photoshop project: a pair of incredibly muscular legs attached to an upper body scrawny enough to belong to a famine victim. I knew right away this guy was going to be trouble.

On the day prior to this class, everyone received a video link showing what the upcomming class would consist of. This one was a crit race, starting with bursts of speed between rest intervals, both of which got longer toward the end. We were all told that there would be no pedaling against resistance during the rest intervals, and that our power output would be no higher than 90% of our FTP's. Both claims turned out to be BS. The rest intervals required us to keep pedaling at 35% of our FTP, which would then jump up to 125% of FTP, and back down, after which the cycle would repeat. We did this for 1 hour and 10 minutes without rest, the only variation being the amount of time spent on each interval.

Somewhere near the end, as most of us were dying from the exertion, I checked how everyone had been performing on the computer screen. One number jumped out at me: the guy to my right with the Photoshopped physique had been cranking out an average of 300 watts for nearly an hour! My suspicions about him had been correct. Obviously he was a ringer, put there just to make the rest of us look bad.

Oh well, something to shoot for I suppose. Maybe I'll be cranking out 300 W for a whole hour in six weeks time.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #30044
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post

Oh well, something to shoot for I suppose. Maybe I'll be cranking out 300 W for a whole hour in six weeks time.
FFS according to (high accurate ) Strava outputs I peak around 200, and that is only for a couple minutes.

.....and I thought I was improving.....

I did find two sets of trails nearby, so as soon as the heat indexes start dropping off the century mark I can get some more saddle time in. Dodging Jersey drivers for anything other than my commute gets old so I'm trying to keep it in the woods.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #30045
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
FFS according to (high accurate ) Strava outputs I peak around 200, and that is only for a couple minutes.

.....and I thought I was improving.....
Don't believe those numbers. Strava has no way to accurately read power output, unless you have a power meter on your bike. Strava gives my average power output as 297 Watts, which is nonsense.

Quote:
I did find two sets of trails nearby, so as soon as the heat indexes start dropping off the century mark I can get some more saddle time in. Dodging Jersey drivers for anything other than my commute gets old so I'm trying to keep it in the woods.
It's scary being on the roads here, which is why I stick to the trails. My worry is that I'm getting way too fast, which poses a hazard for me as well as other trail users. That's why I usually ride late in the day, when there's no one else out there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: