User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 54 votes, 4.41 average. Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #30106
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,255
The oppressive humidity finally broke last night, with T storms. It was only 79F with Dew points in the high 60's. Much better! I am finally powering up certain climbs in the big ring, instead of having to go little. Good ride today...

rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #30107
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,607
Thumb Hill climbing

I went out for my first group ride this morning and met up with three others I've known only through Facebook. These guys ride the same 35 mile loop every week, so I wasn't particularly optimistic about my chances of keeping up with them, since the route covers the very steepest climbs in central Florida, including one so steep that many riders prefer to simply walk it.

Making matters worse was the fact that these guys all had cassettes designed specifically for climbing. When one of them noticed that my bike still had the stock cassette, he said, "Looks like one of us is going to be walking up Sugarloaf hill."

Too late for me to back out after having driven for nearly an hour to get to our meeting spot, so off we went. The first climbs seemed easy enough, but then one of them warned me that we were approaching a hill dubbed "The Wall". Apparently it's called that because it goes almost instantly from a flat to steep grade, which really takes you by surprise. That one was tough, but to my amazement I managed to outpace all the other riders. When I crested the top, I couldn't even see them any longer. I managed to repeat that performance on all the hills thereafter, and I started thinking to myself that maybe they were conserving their energy for the final and worst climb: Sugarloaf hill. As we finally reached Sugarloaf, my suspicions may have been confirmed, as all three raced passed me toward the base of the hill. I got there about 100 yards behind them, but managed to close the distance quickly. As soon as I began the climb, I realized I was in for an epic battle. I could only maintain a speed of 7.3 mph, and I'd run out of gears. But I also noticed that I was catching up to the other three. The third guy was a former Iron Man competitor, and I thought he'd sprint away the moment he realized I'd pulled up along side him, but he looked spent. I passed the second rider, who looked like he was about to bail (he didn't), and then I passed the lead rider, John. John's bike had a cassette on it that looked like something he'd sourced from a mountain bike. The final gears were enormous, and I suspect this was the climb he envisioned when selecting that cassette. He was spinning much faster than I was, but it didn't seem to be helping him because he was huffing and puffing like a steam engine. I passed him, and then another rider in front of him, and that's when I saw someone whose physique looked like a serious racer, riding up Sugarloaf on a Specialized Epic S-Works. I got closer and closer to him, determined to be the first one to reach the top. When I pulled up alongside, I recognized him as Dale Serge, a pro-racer I've known for about a year. My elation at passing him was dashed when we got to the top and he told me he was on his 29th climb. He did three more, for a total of 32 runs up Sugarloaf. . Apparently he was out there with another racer practicing for Leadville. I was too stunned to say much at all, other than to wish him luck in the upcoming race.

The return trip was uneventful, except for one mad race down a long flat road that seemed to go on forever -- just the kind of thing I excel at.

As I sit here typing this, my legs still feel numb. Even my arms are sore. I know it's going to be much worse tomorrow, but it was worth it. This was not only my first group ride, it was also my first ride in decades on roads rather than trails, and the first time I've done any serious climbs since the late 1970's. I'll definitely be doing it again in the coming weeks... but with a different cassette.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.

Aurelius screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 01:08 PM
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #30108
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
It's always a nice surprise to be faster than you expected.

It's got to be tough to train for a race with long climbs when you only have 200ft climbs available.
One of the guys I ride with got an entry to Leadville this year and has come out on some of the climbing rides I organize.
They're usually repeats of Mt Diablo or Mt Hamilton, 9-10k' of climbing.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #30109
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,364
Saturday I rode 10 miles each way to try out some trails.....only to find they were all sugar sand and I had to spin my ass off to get anywhere on them....with a 110* heat index no lessIf figure there was 5-7 miles of that before I packed it in and went home.

My legs are SERIOUSLY frigging hurting for that stunt, to my surprise I actually had some motor left on the way home. I was running with a pack of roadies for a couple miles, until I turned off.

....I doubt they were in any rush though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post

It's got to be tough to train for a race with long climbs when you only have 200ft climbs available.
One of the guys I ride with got an entry to Leadville this year and has come out on some of the climbing rides I organize.
I live on the edge of the Pine Barrens, the Betsy Ross bridge is about the biggest hill for 20 miles or so :)
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #30110
thechickencow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Those climbs sound fun.

I'm stoked for this week's training. I'll be pulling my kids in the trailer with my singlespeed mtb. I think it'll be a ton of fun as I'm off work this week between jobs and have a chance to take them on some adventures.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:56 AM   #30111
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
cool, see you there! I'll be camping with the better half again this year and I'm REALLY hoping for better weather than last year.
Don't hold your breath. Seems that we get rain most rides.

M
Old 07-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #30112
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post

Oh, I know. I'm from upstate NY, where we have nothing but steep climbs and descents. With an average grade of 8.4%, Sugarloaf hill is said to be the steepest climb in Florida, but back home I used to climb a hill that's just as steep, if not worse, and three times as long as Sugarloaf. 'Course, back then I was in my teens and only weighed 150 lbs.

I just watched some race footage filmed on Sugarloaf, and noticed that lots of riders are out of the saddle while climbing it. It's not a technique I've ever used, but I'll definitely be trying that the next time I'm out there.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:37 AM   #30113
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,063
I squeezed in 16.5mi(9 of that gravel) with 1400ft of climbing in 1hr 33min yesterday. Lots of gravel/mud high water from the morning storms. I seen more Side by Sides than cars. I hit a nice little downhill gravel section with exposed sandstone, i was jumping off them and laughing the entire time, felt like I was 12 years old again.

When I was a kid we had an awesome gravel hill fairly close to town with big bedrock sticking out of it, about 1.5 miles all down. You could hit those rocks and fly for a LONG ways on a BMX bike. We would have to ride 8 miles out through the country to get to the top. We would do that 3-4 times during the day in the summer and when dad got home from work he would haul us to the top one more time in the evening. Good Times

my wife is baffled as to why I am buying another bicycle when I have a few motorcycles. Its just a different type of fun and reminds me of a lot of great times I had as a kid. My entire childhood revolved around riding bikes. Thats ALL I did until I discovered chasing girls was easier in a car

FYI Strava does NOT support a garmin Montana 650t

little bit of solitude is good for you, the ergon knock offs have helped reduce some of my wrist pain.

IMG_2007 by Rider_wv, on Flickr

Rider_WV screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 05:59 AM
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #30114
Ridge
power 2 the pedal

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Don't hold your breath. Seems that we get rain most rides.

M
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #30115
Ridge
power 2 the pedal

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
I squeezed in 16.5mi(9 of that gravel) with 1400ft of climbing in 1hr 33min yesterday. Lots of gravel/mud high water from the morning storms. I seen more Side by Sides than cars. I hit a nice little downhill gravel section with exposed sandstone, i was jumping off them and laughing the entire time, felt like I was 12 years old again.

When I was a kid we had an awesome gravel hill fairly close to town with big bedrock sticking out of it, about 1.5 miles all down. You could hit those rocks and fly for a LONG ways on a BMX bike. We would have to ride 8 miles out through the country to get to the top. We would do that 3-4 times during the day in the summer and when dad got home from work he would haul us to the top one more time in the evening. Good Times

my wife is baffled as to why I am buying another bicycle when I have a few motorcycles. Its just a different type of fun and reminds me of a lot of great times I had as a kid. My entire childhood revolved around riding bikes. Thats ALL I did until I discovered chasing girls was easier in a car

FYI Strava does NOT support a garmin Montana 650t
outstanding! Is this the CAADX?
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:33 AM   #30116
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
outstanding! Is this the CAADX?
Still riding the Salsa El santo right now. I ordered a SuperX Carbon with Rival group, should be in Thursday or Friday. Will get a couple of good rides in this weekend with it hopefully. Temps are suppose to drop back down into the low 80's this week
Old 07-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #30117
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,085
Quote:
Still riding the Salsa El santo right now. I ordered a SuperX Carbon with Rival group, should be in Thursday or Friday. Will get a couple of good rides in this weekend with it hopefully. Temps are suppose to drop back down into the low 80's this week
Rock on!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:50 AM   #30118
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,364
Quote:
Holy hell that SuperX is nice.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #30119
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Holy hell that SuperX is nice.
I hope it rides as good as it looks I was hesitant to go carbon but the frame has lifetime warranty for original owner and the '13 model had a good discount.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #30120
thechickencow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Daddy daycare today:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: