Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 498 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 05:42 AM   #30181
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,770
Vision Quest, 4th class

Last week's workout was brutal, and I noticed that a lot of people didn't come back. The class size has already dropped to about half of what it was when we began. Typical comments were, "I hope this session isn't like the last one, or I'm gonna puke all over the floor."

This week's training session was a simulation of a time trial race - or so they said. I'm not sure that's true, because parts of it involved getting out of your seat and pedaling as hard as possible for 30 seconds, which doesn't sound much like a TT race to me. There were also two 3 minute intervals where we had to pedal at 100% of our Max Threshold at a slow cadence (40-50 RPM). Most people seemed to really struggle with these. It was the one time that all those heavy leg presses I've been doing at the gym really seemed to pay off.

On the other side of the room was an old dude with white hair, training on a seperate computer simulation. He'd been there at least as far back as our first class, and was already busy on the trainer well before class began. Judging by his power output, I'm guessing this guy must have been racing for years, because he'd been averaging 300 Watts for well over an hour without resting. Made the rest of us look bad.

So, we're now halfway through to the completion of the course. No idea yet what the remaining sessions will be like, but it will be interesting to see who toughs it out for the full eight weeks. My bet is that of the twelve that started, only four of us will remain.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:27 AM   #30182
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
This week's training session was a simulation of a time trial race - or so they said. I'm not sure that's true, because parts of it involved getting out of your seat and pedaling as hard as possible for 30 seconds, which doesn't sound much like a TT race to me.
I"m no Ridge but I've done that at TT races, especially within 500 meters of the finish line.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:46 AM   #30183
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 8,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

Betcha he'll be back shortly with wheel problems. The stock wheels on those bikes aren't the best-tensioned and I didn't have time to go thru and re-do the whole thing.
I've managed to whack my front wheel out of what twice in the last 4 weeks. I weigh somewhere between 200 and 210, I've come to the conclusion that they make all of these bikes for smurfs That was also why I went with disc brakes, if I knock it out of true (again) it doesn't take the brakes with it.

I'm not that big, if I was in fighting shape I would be no lower than 190, and I have to do a ridiculous amount of running to stay that low.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:51 AM   #30184
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
I"m no Ridge but I've done that at TT races, especially within 500 meters of the finish line.
Sprinting across the finish line I can understand, but this simulation involved a whole series of out of your seat 30 second intervals:

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:54 AM   #30185
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 14,629
Not all TT's are flat
Old 07-31-2013, 07:21 AM   #30186
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
I've smashed my Wellgo pin platforms into some rocks pretty hard and its barely scratched them.
I'm sure we've all smacked things into rocks and they survived. That's not saying anything particular about the quality of component as much as it says you got away with it.....this time.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:26 AM   #30187
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro0125 View Post
Not all TT's are flat
This...

A true time trial effort is laying out everything you have on the road and leaving nothing behind at the finish. You should be completely and absolutely spent when crossing the line. This includes standing on the pedals when necessary up hills or to get past another rider, then assuming your TT position again. Most of these efforts out of the seat are short in duration and high wattage to get over the obstacle and recover back to threshold. That's the reason behind doing repeated intervals.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:50 AM   #30188
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,926
Help me ID a ('80s?) steel Frame....

I'm interested in views on the likely vintage, tubing type and other information on this frame with Columbus rear dropouts (width 125mm) . The CTC dimensions are: seat tube 24" and Top Tube 23". Its got a Superbe BB axle fitted and an unbranded aluminum alloy headset and assembled, the frame weighs 6lbs 8ozs. Its had a respray so I don't know the original brand. I won't fill up this post with too many pics so here are some links and a single photo. Thanks in advance for any info offered.

Here Here Here Here Here Here Here Here Here

overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:51 AM   #30189
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,823
The rear wheel on my Roubaix goes wonky every few weeks. I have to pull the wheel, tire and rim strip to tweak it back. I'm about 170, but when I hit my weight I'll be about 155-ish. Still heavy for what I think the wheels are made for. I have a set of Campy C-Record Low flange 32H three cross wheels that are probably bullet-proof for me. Unfortunately they are very old school so only work on the 30-year old Pinarello.

I am not blue. dammit!

And speaking of heavy duty wheels, don't Tandem wheels come in 48H? Or did back when we thought we needed spokes to keep our butts off the pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
I've managed to whack my front wheel out of what twice in the last 4 weeks. I weigh somewhere between 200 and 210, I've come to the conclusion that they make all of these bikes for smurfs That was also why I went with disc brakes, if I knock it out of true (again) it doesn't take the brakes with it.

I'm not that big, if I was in fighting shape I would be no lower than 190, and I have to do a ridiculous amount of running to stay that low.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:55 AM   #30190
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
This...

A true time trial effort is laying out everything you have on the road and leaving nothing behind at the finish. You should be completely and absolutely spent when crossing the line.
That's the way I always do 'em. There have been a few times when I've been in such a state of exhaustion at the finish line that I was actually afraid I'd black out.

Quote:
This includes standing on the pedals when necessary up hills or to get past another rider, then assuming your TT position again. Most of these efforts out of the seat are short in duration and high wattage to get over the obstacle and recover back to threshold. That's the reason behind doing repeated intervals.
Local TT courses are chosen for being as flat and straight as possible, so I won't be doing any of that. Judging by last night's TT results, I have a really good chance of winning already.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #30191
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
I'm interested in views on the likely vintage, tubing type and other information on this frame with Columbus rear dropouts (width 125mm) . The CTC dimensions are: seat tube 24" and Top Tube 23". Its got a Superbe BB axle fitted and an unbranded aluminum alloy headset and assembled, the frame weighs 6lbs 8ozs. Its had a respray so I don't know the original brand. I won't fill up this post with too many pics so here are some links and a single photo. Thanks in advance for any info offered.

Here Here Here Here Here Here Here Here Here

Looks late 80s to mid-90s based on what I can see. If you look down the seat tube and see rifling around the bottom ~6" of the tube, its SLX. If you see rifling all the way up, its TSX. The rest? Hard to say.

Chances are its Aelle or possibly Cromor, or a combo of decent main tubes and so-so chain- and seat-stays aka tre-tubi. Hard to say without knowing what came on it originally. More $$ spent = higher grade tubesets.

HTH

M
Old 07-31-2013, 08:01 AM   #30192
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 8,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
The rear wheel on my Roubaix goes wonky every few weeks. I have to pull the wheel, tire and rim strip to tweak it back. I'm about 170, but when I hit my weight I'll be about 155-ish. Still heavy for what I think the wheels are made for. I have a set of Campy C-Record Low flange 32H three cross wheels that are probably bullet-proof for me. Unfortunately they are very old school so only work on the 30-year old Pinarello.

I working with 32 hole double walls here Some of that is technique, I have a habit of launching off everything, so there are a couple hard landings and the fork is woefully inadequate from me beaning a landing I'm to heavy for that damn thing too
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:10 AM   #30193
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

leftlane had a sale on Briko sunglasses so I had to buy myself a couple pair. I have fond memories of the Stingers I used to wear 'back when.'

...and no, the new ones don't look like Stingers

M
Old 07-31-2013, 08:18 AM   #30194
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
leftlane had a sale on Briko sunglasses so I had to buy myself a couple pair. I have fond memories of the Stingers I used to wear 'back when.'

...and no, the new ones don't look like Stingers

M
They look like swimming goggles.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #30195
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
They look like swimming goggles.
Humph

Shows what you know! Kewlest glasses EVAR!

Rank right up there with the Scott glasses I got with a little barrel adjuster on the temple so you could adjust the angle of the lens.

M

(and yes, the Stingers were 'funky' even back then)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: