Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 315 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #30781
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,342
I think that's perfect advice, Inyang.

680 km to go!

What do you use for tires there? Just curious.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #30782
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Personal preference on tubular is Vittoria Corsa CX... but my experience with other tires in that realm are much more limited than others here.
About 100 USD a piece sound right?

Am I reading this correctly?

The World-class Continental Competition tubular now uses Black Chili compound and Vectran flat-protection breaker. The Black Chili compound uses smaller carbon particles which have more contact points for less rolling resistance and form more easily around imperfections in the road surface. The smaller particles also fit closer together for longer tread life. The use of Vectran not only improves flat resistance, it also reduces weight by approximately 15 grams, reduces rolling resistance, and improves ride comfort. Maximum inflation pressure is 12 bar (170 psi).
Old 08-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #30783
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
About 100 USD a piece sound right?

Am I reading this correctly?

Maximum inflation pressure is 12 bar (170 psi).
Yep, to all of it. Welcome to 2013!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #30784
brentde3
Should be outside

Oddometer: 546
Hey guys, I posted this in the wrong thread up in Shiny Things, so I hope you don't mind if I copy and paste down here:

So I want a bicycle. My son has really gotten into his, finally, and wants to ride to his school (about three miles from our house) when it starts back up again. I'd like to ride with him, as I can see him safely to school and then head to work, about a mile back in the other direction.

But...bicycles have changed a helluva lot since the last time I owned one (1992, bought at a Toys R Us, it totally sucked).

Here's the deal: We're talking maybe seven miles a day, total, but there are two huge hills to contend with. My college campus's driveway is just about vertical. The pavement is heated in the winter because if it weren't, even the snowplows with chains on would just slide right down it.

Budget constrains are around $450, which prices me out of most new bikes. Of the ones I've tried out, I've liked the "road" style best, drop bars, etc. Just more comfortable to me. I don't know why. My LBS has a Trek 1000 from 2004 for $400, but that still seems high for a nearly ten year old bike. My wife almost bought me a cheapo GMC something-or-other from Wally World the other day, but that doesn't seem like a very good idea either.

I've checked around for used bikes, but the market around here is pretty crappy so far. Might you fine folk have any advice?

IBA# 49512
brentde3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #30785
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 868
Bobby,

I'm running Clement (not the same company as the Clement of yore) Strada LGGs on the road bike. The 120 TPI, 25 mm version. I like 'em and will probably get another set once these wear out.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #30786
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentde3 View Post

I've checked around for used bikes, but the market around here is pretty crappy so far. Might you fine folk have any advice?
Craigslist? Local "used" bike shops. If it's a bigger university, there must be some used bikes floating around. Probably some gems in the rough as well...
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #30787
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
does any one wipe their tires anymore?
I do.
Quote:
But what about a nice, light tire.
I like Conti GP4000s for training. Michelin GP4s for racing. The Contis don't have the best ride (though the difference is very small) but last a long time, don't flat often and have good traction in the wet. I ride on wet roads often even in summer, so that's important to me. I use 23s but normal size male americans would do better on the 25s. The 25s have the about the same rolling resistance and weigh only 10-20g more. I use slightly less than the Michelin inflation recommdations:

http://www.michelinbicycletire.com/m...rpressure.view
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #30788
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentde3 View Post
Hey guys, I posted this in the wrong thread up in Shiny Things, so I hope you don't mind if I copy and paste down here:

So I want a bicycle. My son has really gotten into his, finally, and wants to ride to his school (about three miles from our house) when it starts back up again. I'd like to ride with him, as I can see him safely to school and then head to work, about a mile back in the other direction.

But...bicycles have changed a helluva lot since the last time I owned one (1992, bought at a Toys R Us, it totally sucked).

Here's the deal: We're talking maybe seven miles a day, total, but there are two huge hills to contend with. My college campus's driveway is just about vertical. The pavement is heated in the winter because if it weren't, even the snowplows with chains on would just slide right down it.

Budget constrains are around $450, which prices me out of most new bikes. Of the ones I've tried out, I've liked the "road" style best, drop bars, etc. Just more comfortable to me. I don't know why. My LBS has a Trek 1000 from 2004 for $400, but that still seems high for a nearly ten year old bike. My wife almost bought me a cheapo GMC something-or-other from Wally World the other day, but that doesn't seem like a very good idea either.

In that price range, you're looking at low-end mtn bikes or 'flat bar road bikes.'

Stay away from box store bikes. You don't know how many I have to fix right out of the store. People will spend as much on a tune-up (+parts) as they will on the hoopty they just bought. ...but... when I'm done with it, it works as well as it'll work!

Surf CL and ebay. There's deals out there if you don't want the latest and greatest.

@BobbySands: I'd keep an eye on www.on-one.co.uk, Ribble, Wiggle, Pro Bike Kit, and other UK webtailers. I just ordered 2 Schwalbe tubulars from the UK for the price of one tire from QBP. IDK how they do it, but they sell for less than I can buy it wholesale, AND I got free shipping.

Practice CX race tomorrow with the fast guys from Haymarket and beyond, then Sun Ridge and I are riding the Devil's Backbone ride down by Wintergreen. I'm helping score, so am riding the short route again. He's going full boat on the long route. Wish him luck!

M
Old 08-23-2013, 11:21 PM   #30789
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
The Badger

Coors Classic 1983 maybe? Can't remember anymore. I was working press instead of riding Marshal or official.
Probably 86, The Worlds were Colorado Spings in 86 All the teams came to do the Coors Classic to race at altitude.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:30 AM   #30790
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Bobby,

I'm running Clement (not the same company as the Clement of yore) Strada LGGs on the road bike. The 120 TPI, 25 mm version. I like 'em and will probably get another set once these wear out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post
I do.

I like Conti GP4000s for training. Michelin GP4s for racing. The Contis don't have the best ride (though the difference is very small) but last a long time, don't flat often and have good traction in the wet. I ride on wet roads often even in summer, so that's important to me. I use 23s but normal size male americans would do better on the 25s. The 25s have the about the same rolling resistance and weigh only 10-20g more. I use slightly less than the Michelin inflation recommdations:

http://www.michelinbicycletire.com/m...rpressure.view
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
@BobbySands: I'd keep an eye on www.on-one.co.uk, Ribble, Wiggle, Pro Bike Kit, and other UK webtailers. I just ordered 2 Schwalbe tubulars from the UK for the price of one tire from QBP. IDK how they do it, but they sell for less than I can buy it wholesale, AND I got free shipping.

Practice CX race tomorrow with the fast guys from Haymarket and beyond, then Sun Ridge and I are riding the Devil's Backbone ride down by Wintergreen. I'm helping score, so am riding the short route again. He's going full boat on the long route. Wish him luck!

M
Thanks guys, you lot are the best.

Wha happened to Clement that it's not the same outfit? I rode Clement back in the day with my Nisi or Ambrosio wheels. I had a pair of Hutchinson which were very good but the replacement set was not so well liked. Don't tell me it's a another case of a famous name being swooped up and bought for rights?

I'll take your advice to heart.

Gumee, I shop Wiggle all the time. I am constantly amazed at the top level gear they have which costs less than second tier kit here. And I think it took my last package about 8 days to get here with 2 days in customs. Really can't beat it.

Plus, you guys can buy a new Cannondale SuperSix for 200 a month for 24 months. 0 interest.

(is this where it's come, financing toys so we can act like big children?)

Good luck on your race tomorrow. A couple of photos would be nice.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:53 AM   #30791
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Probably 86, The Worlds were Colorado Spings in 86 All the teams came to do the Coors Classic to race at altitude.

What ever happened to those days when a fellow like Hiault could call the shots and the peloton listened-- or else.

146 mile Liege-Bastogne-Liege in the snow for a decided victory.

And where did he learn to handle a cycle in such crap weather and the toughness to keep ploughing?

Here:

There's a famous photo oh Hinault at one of the classics. The fellows have had a crash and they've clogged the narrow road with steep banks, And behind the crowd, out of the view of everybody, Hinault is cyclocrossing his way past everyone, bike over shoulder at a dead sprint.

I'll see if I have it somewhere.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:56 AM   #30792
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,434
Quote:
What ever happened to those days when a fellow like Hiault could call the shots and the peloton listened-- or else.

146 mile Liege-Bastogne-Liege in the snow for a decided victory.

And where did he learn to handle a cycle in such crap weather and the toughness to keep ploughing?

Here:

There's a famous photo oh Hinault at one of the classics. The fellows have had a crash and they've clogged the narrow road with steep banks, And behind the crowd, out of the view of everybody, Hinault is cyclocrossing his way past everyone, bike over shoulder at a dead sprint.

I'll see if I have it somewhere.
He could reset the peloton by clenching his jaw. Look at every pic of Hinault--jaw clenched, the pack is in single file trying to hang on. Jaw not clenched, spread wide across the road, talking about their families.

I don't think there's been anyone since with that ability, doping or no doping.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #30793
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
He could reset the peloton by clenching his jaw. Look at every pic of Hinault--jaw clenched, the pack is in single file trying to hang on. Jaw not clenched, spread wide across the road, talking about their families.

There was this one Texan no one likes to talk about any more...

...and some HUGE Spaniard that could out TT everyone else.

Team setups have changed. There's really no more Patrons (FWI can see) any more.

@BobbySands: yeah, Clement got bought. Tufo's making their cx tires now. Vittoria moved a lot of production to Asia. Lots of the old cycling names like Masi, Tommasso, Raleigh, et al are owned by Asian corps too. Not the same as it was.

Ambrosio is still making rims. Good stuff too. Spendy tho.

Everyone wants 'sexy' wheels with few spokes and deep section rims. Gone are the days off box-section wheels with lots of little spokes.

M
Old 08-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #30794
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
I rode Clement back in the day with my Nisi or Ambrosio wheels.
I had Ambrosio wheels on my CW Racing BMX bike, back in the mid-80's. I really regret giving that bike to my nephew, as it had some really special parts on it, for the day. But, I felt sorry for the kid. I should've known he wouldn't take care of it.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #30795
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
Race radio has nullified so much of that. The peloton is neutered until the team car gives them the play...
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: